Morning liners on 9/11

It’s 13 years and I was 13 days from going to WDW in 2001. I couldn’t wait to get there and show my US friends my support.

14 Likes

Good morning @steve1 and liners. I was at work on that day. That year was my son’s first trip to WDW over the long Memorial Day weekend. I passed through the Shanksville area on my vacation a couple of weeks ago. It is about 3 hours driving west of me. I should take a day and visit the memorial. Have a good day.

4 Likes

Good morning @Steve1, @gabmom and all my Liner friends. I was at work that day and it was eerie not seeing any planes in the sky.

3 Likes

Morning!! 36 to go… I was sitting in class in Gainesville when we heard the news, I will never forget it.

4 Likes

Good morning everyone. I was also at work that day. We closed early and I went and picked up my son from Kindergarten. I really hate the feeling that I wake up with every year on this day. My little brother worked at the World Trade Center. Thank God he made it out, but it’s 6:30am and I’m already in tears for all those who didn’t.
2 days till Disney. I’ll be happier about it later, I’m sure.

8 Likes

40 Good morning everyone. I was on my way to work when I heard it on the radio. I tried to call home but my cell phone had no service. Had to pull over & find a pay phone. It was a very frightful day here in NY & around the country.

5 Likes

21 days. I was on my way to work and honestly oblivious because I was listening to music in my car. When I got to work, everyone was watching the TV when the 2nd tower got hit. A friend’s husband, a firefighter, perished as well as relatives and friends of a few other people I know. One of my sorority sisters just made it out.

It’s a difficult day every year. And while I take the time to remember, I honor their memories by doing the things I enjoy and not letting those who are responsible succeed at instilling fear into my heart.

Peace.

11 Likes

I :heart: you!

3 Likes

I :heart: you back, love.

3 Likes

Morning peeps. I was at work, when the guys in the call centre (who had a tv on the 24hour news channel) told us what had happened. Total disbelief.

I’ve been thinking this morning about why despite being a Brit with no real connection to the US, I find myself so very moved by this day each year. I have decided that a lot of it is to do with the bravery people displayed. I find bravery in all forms (be it a women giving birth, a firefighter running into a burning building, or Prince William and Harry walking behind Princess Diana on the day of her funeral) deeply impressive. So many people were so brave in their different ways that day and in the weeks, months and years afterwards, and I salute them all.

By the way nothing will ever stop me getting on a plane to the US - one life, no fear!

8 Likes

Morning. Thinking of you all today. Sending Aussie hugs and love to all those that loved and lost. New York is my favourite city and it’s inspiring and a credit to your nation how you faced the challenge and rose all the stronger for it. Xx

6 Likes

Morning everyone. 53. It was the day of my grandfather’s funeral and I was getting dressed for the funeral when I heard the news. We didn’t want to tell my grandfather’s widow about what was going on, but someone at the funeral mentioned it, so the TV was on the rest of the day. It was a very emotional day.

3 Likes

I’d been to Florida with wife and two girls twice in previous twelve months, and I’d been to USA 4 times before, and from the first time I just loved that country, and loved the people I met there.
I’d grown up in London with Irish terrorism,so wasn’t going to be put off going there by anyone. Thankfully Brits did stand together with the US to try and rid us of these evil doers.

6 Likes

Good Morning, guys. 47 here. I was at work 13 years ago, and got a call from one of my installers, who simply said, “you should turn on the tv.” And I watched tv for 3 days straight. Prayers and positive thoughts to everyone affected by this tragedy. Life is precious - live every day like it’s your last. :smiley:

5 Likes

Morning all. 40 days out for me. I drove my kids to preschool like nothing was wrong, heard people talk, and tried to figure out what was going on. Tried the radio on my ride home to Howard Stern of all shows, where I listened in shock, only to run home and watch CNN until I had to pick the kids up.

My husband is a locksmith, and we had a friend over that was getting a new trunk lock. I remember running out telling them that the a tower collapsed. Our friend was an EMT and he was leaving to go to Shea Stadium as they were staging out of there.

I watched the towers fall on cnn, after my kids came home I let them wander and play at whatever, all I could do was watch the news.

I remember trying to find things to buy and send to ground zero, but everything was sold out. I bought a newspaper everyday, and saved them, I still have the papers.

5 Likes

Afternoon everybody… Little late to the conversation… Junior year of college. Stuck in the boondocks of upstate ny, and worried sick over what was happening at home. The phone calls wouldn’t get through… Worst case scenario was realized in the days following… Always in my heart, dear cousin.

2 Likes

So sorry, @jenmckenna80. :disappointed: Such a sad day.

1 Like

I can’t heart 100% sad things, so I’ll reply with HUGS instead.

2 Likes

Thanks. We all have the same feelings today. Time may heal pain, but the ache for what could and should have been can’t be healed. Pain is still very real here in this city for all we lost 13 years ago. It’s funny how 13 years can feel like a long time, but 9/11 still feels like just yesterday.

3 Likes

Hugs to you @jenmckenna80.

I did not know anyone lost, but it has definitely had an effect on me. May all those effected find some form of peace.

3 Likes