Monday February 24th '20

Monday, February 24th is indicated as an 8 on the crowd calendar. I can’t for the life of me figure out why this would be a high volume day. I can’t for the life of me figure out why this would be the case. Any insight?

There have been a lot of questions about specific days on the crowd calendar lately and generally the answer is that the calendar should not be relied upon too heavily, especially at Disneyland, because it’s just a guide based on past patterns (including current year holidays and school schedules) which are not necessarily indicative of future results. Disneyland crowd patterns in particular have been very unpredictable lately. Unless it’s a holiday or spring break time (which that’s a little early for that) crowds probably won’t be oppressive.

The good news is that most of the actual crowds since SWGE opened last year have been LOWER than the CC predicted. Even on busy days, crowds have either arrived early and left (since RotR opened due to boarding group process), or arrived in the evening for fireworks (like during the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade in the fall) and the rest of the day has been lower than usual waits. It’s a good time to go to Disneyland.

2 Likes

Yes, I have found the crowd calendar fro DLR to be less “accurate” than WDW. The last time I went in October, TP CL for CAA was about a 4 but once the NSSMMH people were allowed to come in, it became more and more unbearable to the point you couldn’t move at times especially during the evening parade…very uncomfortable.

2 Likes

@Hoopsters The evenings are almost always very crowded as that’s when the locals come out. I think I read that the crowd calendar for DLR is only for the day time crowds. All bets are off in the evenings.

I think one of the benefits of the opening of SWGE is that the crowds have more places to go. So the same number of people that used to feel like an 8, now feel like a 5 because they’re dispersed through a greater area. That’s my theory anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In general, I feel like the crowd calendar’s accuracy is off more than usual this year. I think it will take a year or so (maybe from the opening of RotR) or longer to get a more accurate picture. Before SWGE, I felt like the crowd calendar was more reliable.

We’re considering another visit on February 24, which is the first day of my daughter’s college spring break. It’s super early this year. She goes to University of Redlands which is not too far from DLR. Disney has that day as a value day so they are clearly not anticipating huge crowds.

2 Likes

It’s funny how distance is all relative. I lived in SoCal for my first 45 years and would consider the distance between Redlands (in San Bernardino Co.) and Anaheim unbearable especially in regards to traffic conditions. I thought the distance from Downey or Whittier to DRL was far enough. But now living up here in the Bay Area, Redlands to Anaheim seems like a cake walk; however a very congested cake walk.

Ha ha! It also depends on when you go! Sunday morning at 5:30 is smooth sailing - less than an hour! But try that on Monday around 7:00 AM and you’ll be at least two hours in the car. I’ve become very familiar with traffic conditions in the area with my daughter being a student there.

True…where are you from?

We live in Tacoma, so we have our own traffic woes in the greater Seattle area. Still nothing like SoCal.