Mission Space which one?

Great way to see if someone has the Right Stuff! :joy:

1 Like

The orange was not the usually motion sick for several of our family. Weā€™ve all tried it once. Some - major coaster fans - have said never again. Others have gone several trips.

The best tip Iā€™ve ever gotten is to do it last thing in the day. Be fully prepared to leave immediately after. Ignore the multiple warnings.
Eta: ignore the warnings IF you know youā€™re ok to ride coasters, simulators and other thrill rides.

The orange version is not conventionally thrilling. To me, tho, when thinking that astronauts experience greater G forces makes me appreciate what they do so much more.

1 Like

Whereas I am fine if I ride it early in the day but canā€™t do it late when Iā€™m tired. Iā€™m fine when I get off but I almost pass out during the ride if Iā€™m already tired.

Just to chime inā€¦ the motion sickness effect varies from person to person. For some the centrifigal effects of orange impacts them more than green. for others like me the centrifigal part really doesnā€™t matter - I get motion sick regardless. Mission space, star tours and other simulators like that make me sick - Soarin and FoP do not.
My point is you wonā€™t know how bad either will effect you until you try but if Star Tours makes you sick then either color of Space probably will.

Iā€™ve not gone green, although I intend to this trip. (Prior trips, green was still the same as orange, but without the spinningā€¦but now the movie experience has changed.)

Anyhow, on Orange I come off slightly nauseous. So, this trip I do plan to try taking Dramamine to prevent it. But I also put Mission:Space at the end of the day, just as a precaution.

I do feel sorry for the employees for that rideā€¦because I think every time Iā€™d done it, there has been someone who has vomited outside the ride after getting off that has to be cleaned up.

If you do ride it and start to feel sick, my advice is NOT to close your eyes, but instead, stop looking a the screen in front of you, and head look down at something that is fixed. It will help (but not entirely). Closing your eyes can make it worse.

I found green to be very boring, as did my then 5 year old. Havenā€™t tried orange, but a man on the bus last week told me that it ā€œnearly killedā€
him. :joy:

1 Like

I went on it before it switched from all the same ride to green and orange. It was right after someone died on it. I tested it out for my than fianceeā€™ because she gets motion sickness. I didnā€™t know it at the time, but I should have set my neck back on the seat. Instead, I held my neck away from the head rest. Bad move. My neck was sore the next few days. I told her she probably didnā€™t want to go on it, so she didnā€™t.

Fast forward to 2016. We didnā€™t go on it that trip, even though there is the ā€œsafeā€ one. We did get on it on our trip this past Thanksgiving. When we were in line, both my wife and the younger twin decided to step out of line. So it was just my oldest and me. When they say there is no centrifuge, that doesnā€™t mean that you donā€™t feel any movement. It really did feel like we were taking off, though it isnā€™t as strong of a movement as Orange. It was probably a good move for my wife and daughter to step out of line.

My DH and I did both last year on our trip. We did Green at the beginning of the day (we wanted to do Orange, but I was nervous we would be sick based off of everything I was reading). Green was totally fine and a good ride. But at the end of our day, we did Orange, and we both thought it was exponentially better. Neither of us got sick and we rode it when we were EXHAUSTED. They key is to keep your head still and look at the screen the whole time, donā€™t look around. Also, if the cold air that is supposed to be blowing on your face isnā€™t working, get off before the ride even starts. Itā€™s a life saver, and without it, I think we both wouldā€™ve been sick.

1 Like

Wow. Thatā€™s interesting . . . :thinking:

Do you drink any fluids with electrolytes while youā€™re at Disney? Weā€™ve also begun carrying Sport Beans with us as well.

A whole lot of my arthritic discomfort disappears in the afternoon/ evening at WDW with one or both of the above. No pills needed. :blush:

Iā€™ve heard (and I canā€™t verify the legitimacy of this claim) that you are more prone to motion sickness when you have an empty stomach, which seems counter intuitive. People avoid eating for fear of being sick, which apparently just makes you more susceptible to getting sick to begin with.

Of course, the danger is that if you eat and still get stick, you have a lot in your stomach to throw up. :confused:

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard the same. Youā€™re supposed to have a light snack before you go on like a granola bar or banana or something

1 Like

No we donā€™t. We donā€™t do anything out of the ordinary. I just ride MS in the morning and Iā€™m fine, we donā€™t have issues with anything else.

1 Like

same. Green is boring.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never paid attention to what I ate/drank prior to going on the orange side until this past Nov. I had a granola bar & some coffee about 30 min prior to the ride and itā€™s the only time Iā€™ve ever felt :nauseated_face: on it. It had been a few yrs since I last rode it, so middle age creeping up on me could be a contributing factor. I also noticed that when I started to feel nauseous was when the centrifuge started spinning - and the barf bags were in front of me but because of the force I couldnā€™t lift my arms to grab one! :confounded: Luckily I didnā€™t get sick, but I was thinking that they really need to find a better placement for those bags lol

Mission Space is one of mine and my kidsā€™ favorite rides. There is generally very little line for Green, so we will do green, then use our FastPass for Orange.

My husband gets motion sickness and rides his favorite ride, a seat indoors with a beer, while we ride it.

2 Likes

The book said that a NASA person recommended sucking on a peppermint.

A friend of mine has a relative that is getting g-force training, I think to be a fighter pilot?
My friend showed me a video of it. It was really important to keep breathing. But people tense up and donā€™t.

I have never had issues with nausea on any ride ever and last summer I went on the orange side, the ride itā€™s self wasnā€™t horrible was more worried about my son. Oh but after the fact. I felt nauseous the rest of the day. Worst part was we had 8 am FOP fast pass the next morning. Ended up having to sit out for about an hour after I got off. If there is any doubt donā€™t do it!

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m pretty much alone in my love for MS Orange. Last time I was in Epcot I got on it 6 times!

2 Likes

DH and I rode orange last week. We didnā€™t feel nauseated, but we did feel a little dizzy afterward. DH lost his magicband on the ride (all those Gs?), so we ended up waiting about 20 minutes until a CM could go look for it. It was actually a blessing in disguise because we got some time to just sit and collect ourselves. The ride wasnā€™t awful but Iā€™m not rushing to do it again. We want to try Green next time.

1 Like

Not alone! I adore it!! Never have been on Green and would likely skip it if Orange was closed and Green was the only option - I fear Iā€™d be bored silly on that.