Mission Breakout - Monsters After Dark

Going on GotG: MB during the Halloween overlay is one of the big reasons I’m planning my trip for Fall. For anyone who has done it, does the overlay include the preshow or just during the ride? I’d hate to get a MaxPass and skip any of the overlay elements.

I have it in my TP multiple times during my days, so if nothing in the queues changes at night for this overlay I’d hate to stand in line for 60+ minutes unnecessarily.

I think there was a modified version of the pre-show in the collection room when I rode Monsters After Dark version of Mission Breakout in September 2018. At this time, the FP/MaxPass line entered the library directly (which would be the major part of the pre-show). We jumped in the line near the end of the night and got to see Paint the Night parade up close while in the outside portion of the queue which was great.

1 Like

There is a different pre show because your mission is now different. I won’t give you any spoilers other that that. Both the pre show and the ride seemed a bit shorter but a lot of fun! Also the ride picture is modified for the overlay. They also change the lighting of the building, which is stunning.

2 Likes

Get a FP if you can. It’s a hot ticket around Halloween for this reason.

1 Like

So …if I get a FP / MaxPass I won’t miss any of the preshow overlay change? I am trying to fit in to separate nights to do it once per night. I could wait in the queue once if needed and once with MP.

1 Like

Correct. The preshow is immediately after FP joins the line. The only thing you miss is the exhibits in the lobby, which are cool but not worth an hour wait. With how long you are there you could do the line once I suppose if you are curious.

1 Like

And to be clear I don’t think they change the lobby so you can do the queue any time and see the same stuff.

1 Like

Awesome! Not knowing where FP merges made that a difficult choice. Now, I’ll just make sure to get my MP in the day.

I can appreciate a good queue, but overall I’d rather get on a ride faster.

1 Like

Just make sure you pull the fp AFTER they switch it over to Monsters After Dark. They actually shut the ride down briefly to switch it to the overlay. I don’t remember the exact timeline, but I want to say the stop letting people in line at 3:30? Then at 5 it reopens? There is a time when MaxPass and the FPs switch over to the overlay, but i can’t remember when that happens. If you can, try to ride after the sun sets. As for waiting SB, do not underestimate how popular this ride is with the overlay. It gets crazy busy.

2 Likes

I’d ride it both. And as often as possible.

Best. Ride. Ever!!!

I totally plan to ride it 3 - 4 times on my trip. However, I’m unsure if I’ll go to Oggie Boggie Bash. So, I may only have 1 night to do the overlay when DCA doesn’t close early for the party. I’ve very excited!!

3 Likes

I have this feeling that you are going to spring for Oogie Boogie by the time this is all said and done. :joy:

2 Likes

I did pick my Sept dates to give me that option. If I do OBB it’ll be a something I buy “day of”. Right now though I’m still trying to fit everything I want to do into 5 days! I have all my “must do’s” planned, but there’s so many “smaller” attractions and “oddities” that I want to see. Plus, I’m trying to be super accommodating to my DW and not pack the days and give 60 - 90 minute meal breaks that take us out of the park.

Plus, like everyone going to WDW / DLR now, it’s so hard to plan for RotR BG. Finally, I have a day planned that is 75% + just meeting characters. However, I’m looking to cutting that back so I can do more repeat rides.

Still 201 days… I’ll figure it out!! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

As you enter the building there is a screen with footage of the Collector speaking to the queue in a recorded message. It also shows live feed of the Guardians in their “cells”. For the After Dark version, the video is different and very much adds to the story. This is the only part of the lobby that changes. You do get to see it from the FP line as long as it doesn’t move to quickly. I love this ride and I love the overlay!

3 Likes

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know! :smiley: