Minor planning questions

Tickets through Disney or UT
I have always purchased tickets through Disney, however, UT could save us $87 and every penny counts these days. I see that Disney allows customers to change their ticket dates as needed. I assume that UT does not allow this? I also assume that neither allows refunds.

Would you choose Jan 8-16 or Jan 15-23? Yes, it’s impossible to know right now… but what would YOU choose? Trying to avoid the MLK Day crowds. I kinda figure the earlier dates might work better, because I assume people who would use the holiday would probably do the week after. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the input! It feels good to plan again! Even if the trip might not happen.

I was looking at the same thing. With New Years being on the weekend, I wondered if the NYE crowds would die down sooner. On the other hand, there is the attraction of the holiday decorations post-holiday.

1 Like

Yeah, I had to plan around the New Year holiday, I would probably choose the week after, not before.

You should be able to change your dates as needed even with UT tickets, but you might need to pay additional money if your new dates cost more. UT does actually sell “refundable” tickets that you can return within 90 days for a 95% refund if that option works as well.

1 Like

That is good to know! Thank you!

2 Likes

Checking historic crowds to help.

Is the first Saturday of your trip just the arrival day or a park day?

Is the last Sunday of your trip a park day or departure only day?

1 Like

I see the tentative dates for the marathon are the 7-9? MLK weekend is 15-17?

If those those events are right then I would go the 15-23 (one event not two).

1 Like

MLK weekend 2021 was much less crowded than Columbus Day weekend 2020.

Edit the marathon weekend 2020 honestly wasn’t too bad either compared to other times I’ve been like New Years. And that was pre-covid and the day of the marathon was less crowded than the days up to so I’d choose tail end of possible.

1 Like

Saturday arrival will just be Disney Springs. Last day will be a park day.

Yeah they are pretty similar weeks, so it’s hard to choose.

I’d do the former. Things immediately cleared out after the marathon last year. I think people leave that same day or Monday. They built over the week leading up to. We got there on Monday and stayed till the Monday after.

Edit: the most crowded day felt like Friday and that’d be before your first day and it would start to feel less crowded after. I think some people can’t get up at 2 or 3 am and the do a full park day so either go early while they’re still running or late when they’re konked out. I will say that was one my most exhausting trips but it’s because I agreed to watch the 2yo nephew, run the half, and drive the bro and his wife to the full at 3am. Don’t do what I did!

1 Like

Historical crowd level data for reference:

1/13 to 1/20 2019 overall parks crowds averaged 5.25
1/20 to 1/27 2019 overall parks crowds averaged 6.6

1/12 to 1/19 2020 overall parks crowds averaged 5.75
1/19 to 1/26 2020 overall parks crowds averaged 7.5

2021 were both the same…very low

2 Likes

Thank you for the stats!

1 Like

Don’t worry, I won’t be running :wink:
I have heard from others that the marathon doesn’t seem to affect crowds too much. Might be worth doing the earlier week. It would give DH more time after the trip to prepare for the semester to start for teaching.

2 Likes

Yeah and I really think when they do go to the parks is before the runs. After they need a nap! Lol

1 Like

Personally I would buy direct these days given COVID uncertainty. Disney doesn’t offer refunds but they are quite flexible with exchanges, changes, or upgrades as long as the new tickets cost more. You can often do these trades on the phone whereas if you have a UT or other 3rd party ticket you usually have to go to Guest Services. The mere possibility of having to make any changes would be worth $87 to me. But I know everyone’s budget is different, so it may be worth the savings to you.

1 Like

From my experience, UT is about 4% cheaper than Disney, but that’s matched or exceeded by using Disney Gift Cards purchased at a discount from Sam’s, BJs, Target Red Card, etc. so buying direct wins out for me with price equal. I’ve used UT more often for UOR tix.

3 Likes

We were there marathon weekend 2020 (pre-pandemic, with Sat as our final park/departure day). Crowds weren’t that bad, but there were transportation issues on Saturday. We were on a Disney bus that morning and he was getting updated instructions of what roads were open/closed. We heard some Uber drivers struggled with routes. I think I’d still take that over MLK weekend, but something to be aware of.

2 Likes

I too have been in the parks during marathons. Traveling to the parks, trying to leave some resorts if you need to get to the airport, resort reservations and dining can all be impacted.

1 Like

Great point! I will wait to buy tickets until closer to the trip, but I’ll watch for gift card discounts in the meantime.