Mickey birthday cake?

My niece wants to make a Mickey Mouse birthday cake for her son’s third birthday party. She has decent decorating skills, but hopes to figure out a way to do it that is not highly elaborate. Any ideas?

We’ve done a few of them for family and friends. The easiest ones are cupcakes… use a big Oreo and two mini Oreo’s to make a Mickey Head on each one.

Otherwise she can bake a cake in a metal mixing bowl and a normal 8 or 9 inch round layer cake. Then cut the rounded one to stack on top of the layers then frost or cover in fondant. Fondant for the ears is easiest… just put toothpicks in them before they dry to stick into the cake, but then let them dry for several days.

In most groceries store they have books with pictures for cakes. She can look at them to see if she can make it. She might even buy it. There are things that I can do and some to get someone else to do. Good luck.

A lot depends on what the design objective is - do you want a cake in the shape of Mickey, or just to have Mickey on the cake?

If the former, then you have two basic options: make a larger cake (like 1/4 sheet) and cut it to the right shape, or use the fact that the ratio of the ears to main head should be about 3:4 and make 6" rounds for the ears and 8" rounds for the main head, and then assemble them in the proper configuration.

Frankly, the decorating is going to be the most challenging bit, as getting a true black in icing or fondant (and on the whole, kids really don’t like fondant, so I’d recommend staying away from it) is really, really hard. I’d be more tempted to make the shape correct and to decorate it in your the child’s favorite color(s) rather than go for an authentic Mickey face.

Still, it you want that realistic Mickey face, there are plenty of online tutorials that show you how to draw it, and it’s easy enough to adapt them to cake decoration.

The easiest one I did was fondant. I covered a ten inch round cake in white buttercream and smoothed it out. Then I cut out the pieces of the mickey head from fondant and pieced it together. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d1/a6/15/d1a615a7f14eb4bbf244d70aa9ee4f9f.jpg

Oh I did the mickey mouse cupcakes too that Outer1 wrote about. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/6f/e7/956fe7d866bbde421e7de8855ba21aff.jpg

Here’s the ones I was referring to. The picture isn’t great but I’m at work so it was the only one I could find.

Here’s a little clearer one of the cupcakes…

1 Like