Men's park clothing

I’m bringing DH to Disney for his first time in January. He does not have a huge wardrobe of active clothing… What do men find comfortable in the parks for lots of walking? Would cargo shorts be okay? Or should he really have some sort of sports shorts most days?
Anything special I should look into for men’s socks and underwear? He will be clueless, so I’m asking you guys!

I know I like to wear activewear every day. Just need to know if I should buy him some park clothes…

That is the best choice. Everyone else is wrong.

5 Likes

Cargo rules. My DH has a few pairs that he loves from Duluth Trading.

1 Like

They make Cargo shorts?? He loves their boxer briefs. I’ll have to look into that…

Oh yes. Check it out. We have a Duluth shop about half an hour from us. Very dangerous. Excellent quality.

Those buck naked boxers changed his life!

1 Like

Just going to throw out that cargo shorts are not “in” right now. But should be ok if DH is over 40. :wink:

2 Likes

Cargo shorts are fine but whether cargo or not, I particularly go for the lighter weight wicking and quick drying shorts… I’ve got a few pairs of Nike and Under Armour golf shorts and some Columbia performance fishing gear shorts that are my go to for the parks. They’re lightweight, breathable and they dry after a ride on Splash and the daily rain shower. I certainly wouldn’t want any shorts made out of a thick or heavy material like some of the cargo shorts I have are.

4 Likes

I think it depends where you’re from. It might not be shorts weather in January. I’m from NJ and anything over 45 is ok for me but my family that lives in FL call and cry how cold it is in the winter and when we ask what the temp is they say 50, I laugh because it’s 25 here.

2 Likes

Cargo shorts. I know folks here will be surprised by that. :wink:

I prefer the type with a flatter zippered cargo pocket.

3 Likes

I’m definitely a cargo shorts guy; the more and larger pockets, the better. My rule of thumb is, other than my DSLR, if it doesn’t fit in a pocket, it doesn’t go with me into a park. In December (when I typically go) you could see 80 degrees, or you could see 50 degrees, or both - in the same day. I typically stick in at least one pair of cargo trousers as well. I have one pair with zip-off legs; some consider them to be a fashion faux-pas, but I find them ideal for WDW.

Of coursed I sometimes wear my Utilikilt, which also has a good number of pockets.

2 Likes

Some are just jealous

1 Like

Perfect :wink: DH will be turning 41 on the first day of the trip!

4 Likes

Grand Rapids, MI. So shorts should work for DH. I usually do capris myself though.

1 Like

Convertible pants might be an option. Any particular brand you recommend?

Not specifically; truth be told, I’d have to look at the ones I have to see what brand they are… I just tried a Google search for “zip off cargo pants” and got dozens of hits. Looks like Duluth, Lands End, Cabela’s, REI, and a host of others have them. If I didn’t want to order on line, I would check out places like Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Gander, etc.

1 Like

Some say there’s nothing sexier than a man who is confident in his own cargo shorts (er, uh…that is how it goes, right?)

1 Like

This is what DH wears, too. Especially as part of the ultimate in park wear for men- zippy pants, the superiority of which has been previously and firmly established on this very forum.

2 Likes

That really should be included in the Unofficial Guide and be added to a sticky on this forum.

2 Likes

DuluthFlex Dry-on-the-Fly cargo shorts…paired with their Buck Naked or Breezeshooter underwear.
They also have Armichillo options for shirts and underwear which are all very good for hot/humid weather.
Don’t let the price knock you over though! The quality and durability are top-notch!!

4 Likes

I’m on the cargo shorts bandwagon too - of course I have had no care what’s “in” for a long time. :wink:

I love the LL Bean shorts, since they went to velcro on the pockets it makes it really easy to stow and retrieve things. Pockets are not over large, so doesn’t feel like you’re a sherpa climbing the Andes with bulging supplies.

I’m also loving LL Beans Cool Weave shirts - they are UPF50 sun protection, which is important to me. I get the long sleeve ones even though :fire: Orlando heat :fire: because I like to have to have the option to protect my arms. Even so, they roll up really high and have a fastener to keep them there so convert to pseudo short sleeve if you want. They are also very breathable and work well in chilly weather too.

2 Likes