Mears and Sunshine Flyer price hikes ... and current sales

Just noticed today that both Mears and Sunshine Flyer have increased their regular prices considerably.

One-way adult trip prices:

Mears: $20.90
Sunshine: $19.50

On the bright side, both services are now running Spring sales:

Mears: $15 — can be used on any future date — sale ends ???
Sunshine: $12 — must be used by May 31 — sale ends Apr 11

(Note that the SF sale ends in 3 days.)

Back on the dark side, both services are now tacking on some kind of fee or tax, not included above, which Mears wasn’t doing back in December—the ticket price then was a flat $16. The $15 sale ticket I just booked on Mears came to $16.50 total.

4 Likes

With those price increases, it now makes Uber/Lyft much cheaper for me, DH, and DD. Before it was about even.

3 Likes

The fee that is being tacked on is from MCO. It only affects one direction (I don’t remember which). So they are just passing on the new cost from the airport.

3 Likes

It’s pretty close to break-even for just two adults now, right?

2 Likes

Yeah in my experience Uber/Lyft is roughly $40 each way unless there’s surge pricing which is unpredictable.

3 Likes

I wonder if average rideshare prices have also increased in the past few months. Has anyone noticed?

1 Like

Thank you for this. I just rebooked with Mears and save some money on my trip in May.

2 Likes

Here’s what the SF site says about the fee:

Additionally, a 3% Admin Fee and a 10% Airport Fee will be added to all pick-ups at MCO Airport.

ETA: I don’t see where Mears specifies the percentage, but doing the math it appears to be 10% for airport pickups with no additional admin fee.

2 Likes

It took my TA by surprise. But worth it to me to not have to use Uber or Lyft.

2 Likes

Why? What don’t you like about Uber/Lyft? I always thought it was more convenient - virtually no wait and direct to your resort (and usually cheaper than a prebooked service, at least for more than 2 people).

3 Likes

I have never taken Mears or Sunshine Flyer (or Magical Express :scream:) as I am a rental car or Lyft/Uber fan, but am considering this for my trip coming up. Are these two services comparable to each other, or is one seemingly better than the other? Do they pick up at the same place in MCO?

4 Likes

I don’t appreciate their business model. They are undermine and undercut taxi drivers who have licenses and registrations for commercial driving. Their whole model is avoiding having to have properly trained and licensed drivers. It’s very similar to the thought that teachers don’t need to be licensed professionals. As a still licensed but retired teacher I prefer taxis and shuttles. There is also very little to no accountability to Uber or Lyft as companies since they insist drivers are not employees but contractors. There are countless safety issues with this model even if you are ok with the unprofessional (training-wise) drivers.

I could go on but I won’t. All of these are well known, publicized issues of these so called “ ride share” companies that you can look up if you want.

I will say the only ones I would be ok with are Minnie Vans as those are usually driven by transportation CMs who already have commercial licenses.

2 Likes

Yes same-ish place. The biggest difference I could see is Mears is 24/7 so if you have early or late flights they are better. Sunshine Flyers has specific hours. We used Mears because we originally were supposed to leave at 7:45 am last Wednesday and obviously that didn’t happen.

There may be some other considerations that am not aware of.

2 Likes

I can understand objections to the business model.

Interestingly, Florida taxi drivers don’t need a commercial license, just a regular Class E license and slightly higher insurance requirements. Statewide, at least, some cities might have additional requirements.

1 Like

Thanks!

2 Likes

Being accustomed to NYC cab drivers, I have found Uber and Lyft drivers to be a welcome change!

NYC is it’s own bubble lol.

1 Like

I was looking at a map today and I think they’re at opposite ends of the same ground transportation platform.

I’ve taken Mears only once, from the airport to Pop in December. And I’ll be taking SF for the first time in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Did they merge?

Yes they did. Mears is the head company. I think the official name is something insane like Mears Connect Driven By Sunshine or something too long for people to call it anything except Mears.

2 Likes