Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

It is these differences that makes life ( and this thread) so interesting.

1 Like

But a two year old cannot serve himself a meal.

1 Like

I mostly agree but we also must have realistic expectations and adjust to a certain degree. You cannot expect the same from ordinary adults vs toddlers vs grade schoolers vs teens vs adults with mental conditions vs etc…I once got yelled at, 2 inches from my face (not at Disney LOL) by a grown man with a beard for no apparent reason. I was starting to freak out
/ get angry a bit but he turned out to be a poor autistic guy that had lost his guardian. My point is, I think we should try to be flexible and not judge too quick.

2 Likes

Me neither. I digressed …way out of the box😂.

2 Likes

No but a 10 year old can, and if we haven’t taught them manners by that age, is it too late?

We teach them manners when they are very young so that they become second nature.

1 Like

I wouldn’t shy away from things because these are opportunities for teaching! Bring him to the Broadway shows, to the fancy dinner, to the movies! Those are great experiences for anyone. We do a lot of these things with DS and have from an early age. We have a local restaurant we’ve been going to every Friday night since before he was born and the owner jokes that he ‘restaurant trained’ my son. And he kind of did. We didn’t stop him from attending these things with us, but I have removed him from a restaurant or theater when I thought his behavior was impacting someone else’s enjoyment. He’s 10 now and while we need to do the little reminder here and there (they ARE kids after all!), I don’t shy away from hardly any situation with him. (That being said, I will avoid V&A!)

At our Friday night restaurant, he now has a ritual with the hostesses for a high 5 on the way out the door. He’s a favorite of all the staff since we’ve been doing it for over 10 years.

5 Likes

But they are old enough to understand that you did something for them. As they are older and can do things on their own, then giving thanks to someone who does something for them gains even more meaning.

2 Likes

Not if we have … da da da-da! … Supernanny!

:wink:

2 Likes

If you do decide to go someday, I bet you can find an experienced travel buddy here somewhere. :wink:

3 Likes

Definitely age appropriate and using teachable moments. As @ryan1 said we are all works on progress. Love that line!

2 Likes

That will be me then!
Warning
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
Jenny Joseph

4 Likes

Like Pavlov’s dog? :wink:

1 Like

Doesn’t it irritate you that she can’t say ‘unacceptable’? I prefer Mary Poppins.:wink:

3 Likes

I have to admit I actually loved Super Nanny. Where has Jo Frost gone? Do you think she ever went to WDW? Maybe she could start a new series based solely on child and grown up behaviors she sees in the world!

1 Like

I definitely see both sides of this and agree that I think it comes down to being gracious, kind, and yes sometime accommodating to those around you even if that’s while bringing something to their attention that is bothering you. My son is essentially deaf and hears only through his hearing equipment. I can tell you that ANY noise going on other than the show SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the chance that he will be able to hear and understand what is happening in the show. So yes it can be at the least annoying when people around us are talking. I can also tell you that we are often, whether I like it or not, talking around other people because he constantly is asking us what was said or what happened. We try to keep that dialog quiet, strategically timed, and considerate of those around us but I also hope the people around us would gladly have their experience be less than perfect if it meant others could also join in and enjoy the experience. If I had the choice to hear or see the show perfectly but be the only one or have some background noise and maybe someone’s head partially blocking my view but it meant others could also enjoy the show, I would pick that over my perfect, exclusive experience all day long.

4 Likes

Mary Poppins of course is the ultimate nanny!

2 Likes

I understand your point. There is risk that we are teaching the behavior, but not the reason for the behavior. But we have to start somewhere.

Developmentally, we can teach children politeness. But as they grow older, the lessons should transition into teaching respect. Politeness starts the process, however, by teaching them to THINK about how others feel at least in some small way. Later, as maturity comes, conversations (not to mention actions) of respect will come. And hopefully by the time they are adults, they will have learned the joy in thinking of others ahead of oneself.

3 Likes

She did another programme addressing marital problems…I think she bit off a bit more than she could chew!

2 Likes

With less slobbering hopefully.

1 Like

Sadly I missed that one.

1 Like