Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

It must have really surprised you when you realized she was responding to your noise the whole time! I think often people are able to “tune out” a crying baby since that is something no one has control over. Now when you reflect on the incident and now know she was asking your family to stop talking, does it change how you think about what happened?

Disney is a magical place that children enjoy. Disney is a magical place that adults enjoy. Disney has children in most areas. It is not a land only for children.

I am sorry someone verbally attacked you and your family.

2 Likes

I thought you could get a translation gizmo for WDW rides. Or is that only for a few rides?

I did check that and it seems as if there are only about 10 random attractions that you can get them for. It seems as if Disney should do a better job with them.

2 Likes

So WDW Orlando is only for English speaking people? Be generous and kind adults; accept the fact that you have more control over your behavior then a seven year old. WDW is for children first, adults second and if you really can’t put the needs of an excited seven year old child, who has never been to WDW previously, before your own needs, you must be very selfish people. I have no patience with this new breed of ‘entitled child-adults’.

5 Likes

I have no kids but completely agree with you! Sad that people can be so selfish and nasty towards fellow human beings.

2 Likes

I wonder if they were having trouble understanding English as well. From my own experience I know that even with a good command of a non-native language it can be difficult to filter out competing dialogue and other aural distractions while also maintaining focus and continuity. I’d be curious to hear their take on the situation.

Not attempting to condone or condemn anyone’s response to the situation, as I was not there and have only heard one side of the story. But your account leaves open the possibility that the childless couple may have had a legitimate complaint.

5 Likes

Good point but they were watching Little Mermaid or something similar, not getting battle instructions or something equally important. I have to say that I have huge admiration for bi/tri/ infinity lingual people. I manage Welsh and English and can just about get by in Greek, with some very inadequate school French and German. I think sometimes we forget that we were all children once.

1 Like

I’ve probably shared this in another thread before, but on our honeymoon, my wife refused to ride ToT. So, I was in line, alone, and ended up behind this woman and her family, and this group of 3 roughly 20-year-olds. They didn’t speak English, at all. Fortunately for them, the woman was from Miama and spoke fluent Spanish. So, she conversed with them the entire time we were in line. Since I had taken 3 years of Spanish in high school, and 1 semester in college, I figured it was as good of time to practice my listening skills. (My Spanish is only good enough to be dangerous!)

Anyhow, I struggled to understand a lot of what they said, but at one point the woman told a joke, and they laughed, and I laughed, because I actually understood it. Big mistake. Because now the woman said to me, “Oh! Do you know Spanish?” To which I shrugged and said, “Un poco.”

“Good! Because I actually don’t plan to ride. I was just in line with my family. But since you can speak Spanish, I’ll step out of line now and let you all talk.”

And so she left me there, facing three native Spanish-speaking guys from somewhere in South America (I think it was Peru, but I’m not 100% sure). Anyhow, over the next 30 minutes, we tried, in vain, to actually have a conversation. I believe all I managed to tell them was that I’m from Michigan, which is north of Florida. Then, like any good Michigander would do, I held up my hand to show our state.

Anyhow, I learned how practically useless all my years of Spanish had been. (We might have done okay if we were communicating in writing.) Still, I was kind of in awe of the bravery that they would have to come to an English-speaking country not able to speak a lick of English like that.

4 Likes

It would be nice if Disney made a “talker” section for these attractions that don’t offer the translation option. I’ve been to concerts where people won’t stop talking and have been asked to go to the back if they want to talk.

I’ve read all the posts in the thread so far and I really sympathized with OP as no one likes to get spoken to the way he did. But… this particular attraction is akin to a theater show where folks are expected to sit and watch quietly. Screaming babies aside, older kids and adults should be speaking as little as possible during a performance like this.

4 Likes

I like this expression.

Here is my most useful Spanish: “Mi espanol es muy malo.” (Sorry…I don’t know how to get the tilde over the n on the keyboard!) Which, for the uninitiated, means, “My Spanish is very bad.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

I think the dog speaks Spanish way better than I do! :smiley:

1 Like

If you want to feel bad about yourself, try speaking French in France.

We’re told the French appreciate foreigners making at least a token effort to communicate in French, but every time I’ve tried to do so (with the equivalent of about AP French during my schooling) I’m always answered in English.

One time I ordered a coke in bar with the short sentence “Un coca, s’il vous plait.” To which the sever replied “Would you like ice?”

3 Likes

That’s funny. I suppose the fact that you made an effort was enough for them to return the politeness and offer English in return!

Though I’ve never been, I’ve heard that Quebec is much the same. I’ve heard stories from friends who have been who’ve said that if you don’t at least try to speak French while you’re in Montreal, they will pretty much ignore your English pleas. Because of this, I’ve decided it probably not wise for me to visit, since my French pretty much just consists of “Oui!” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree with a “talker” section (could also be used for high school kids whose school did BATB and want to critique and/or sing with that one).

But also, in the case of The Little Mermaid (or other shows), it is not hard to do some prep like having the kid watch the movie before going. No, watching every Disney movie might be impossible, but the number of movie-based shows is small enough that it would not be horrendous to watch them beforehand (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, and Lion King and you’re pretty much covered) so the kid knows what is going on and doesn’t need a play-by-play.

3 Likes

Surely this works both ways? You know the story, so do you need to hear every word? A little 7 year old boy needs some help to instantly translate…you can’t seriously be objecting to that.

2 Likes

Just erased a full paragraph because what I want to say boils down to the fact that I don’t think WDW is for kids first. And I say that as a parent who brings my DS all the time. Not a statement on the OP, just disagreeing with the ‘it’s for kids first’.

5 Likes

I think it was a Supernanny episode that had 1 family where their kid had all sorts of non-listening issues and everything was a negotiation.

They actually had bought something like 7 different toothbrushes over time because the kid would want a particular color on a particular day depending on whatever whim he was riding.

When it comes to parenting, I know we’ve all taken the wrong road at some point (I sure have; we’ll pay for their tattoo removal later if they want it), but once those parents discovered toothbrush # 3 didn’t solve the situation and they didn’t change tactic, you have to wonder what they were thinking?

After a few episodes of that show, it seemed that the typical theme became…

“I’ll give this tiny partially-formed human everything they want even if they change their mind every time I do. Why am I having so much trouble?”

Rather than, “I’m trying different reasonable things and still having trouble. What can I do more effectively?”

The nanny had good things to say, but I was too annoyed at the extremeness of the situations to keep watching. But, I guess I think that about most reality shows. Which is why I only watch Peep and the Big Wide World on TV now.

2 Likes

Who are any of us to decide what is and is not important to other people? Why is a childless couple from southern Europe or South America less entitled to a magical WDW vacation than a French couple with a child? I’ll agree that the child is blameless, but I reject the notion that having a child in tow allows parents to have their way at the expense of others.

Fate has denied me the joy of experiencing WDW with my child. Yet I still enjoy watching other children experience it despite the twinge of heartache it induces. I enjoy watching parents and grandparents experiencing the joy vicariously through their children and grandchildren. That being said, having a child is not a license to crap on those who don’t. Most parents I’ve observed at WDW seem to realize this and are good about imparting manners to their children through example and enforcement. Everyone you meet at WDW has a story. And whether they’re seven or 70, first timers or hundredth timers, all are entitled to a magical experience in that shared space. It’s selfish to believe otherwise.

9 Likes