Meal Sharing Question

This question was answered on the forums years ago, but I’d like to know if anybody has more recent information. Is meal sharing still permitted at restaurants like Blue Bayou? My son is just a little too old to eat off the kids menu, and I think he would love to share an adult Monte Cristo with his little sister. Do the servers allow that? Is there an extra charge?

1 Like

Meal sharing is fine except when it’s a prix fixe or buffet or other similarly priced (per person) locations.

1 Like

:+1:Thanks!

1 Like

It might have changed, but pre-pandemic you could not share meals at blue Bayou. People were sharing meals, ordering off the appetizers menu, and ordering a side salad to experience the ambiance at a much lower price point. The powers that be got wind of this and put an end to this practice. I believe that each person in your party needs to have ordered an entree. It still wouldn’t hurt to ask if your kiddos could share an adult meal, but I would be prepared with a back up plan. Maybe order your daughter the cheapest kids meal? This way they can still share, but you also have the kids meal.

Also a couple of other notes, they have adult portions of the kids meals. My teenage son ordered off of the kids menu bc none of the offerings suited his discerning pallet (that’s fancy for saying he’s super picky). The waiter asked if he wanted an adult sized kids meal. That was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. The final item is that I want to make sure you know that they only serve the monte Cristo at lunch at Blue Bayou (this may have changed as well, but I have not heard anything that would suggest that it has). You may already be aware, but I just want to put it out there.

Finally, want to say if you want the monte cristo w/o all the fuss, Cafe Orleans serves it for lunch and Dinner and you definitely can share. I have done it many times. Also, it is available at Smoke Jumpers in DCA.

3 Likes

I’ve not heard any updates either on Blue Bayou’s policy of sharing since re-opening post-Covid but wanted to reiterate @Ms.BarbsWildRide point on it, as it was a HUGE deal when the policy was started & was prettily heavily enforced that you couldn’t split entrees, to the point the restaurant managers and serving staff were willing to have parties that were sitting down at a table (reservation or walk-up) leaving, walking out of their reservation instead of letting them split entrees (at least if the Facebook groups I saw at the time the policy first started had real life firsthand accounts). Those were probably the very few extreme experiences even if they were real, but definitely good to be prepared if they still have that policy in effect.

I do know that the Cafe Orleans Monte Cristo entree has been changed and instead of being the full giant Monte Cristo just by itself, is now a half size Monte Cristo with pomme frites served on the side. We used to order one Monte Cristo and a side of pomme frites for my husband and I to split, but now it would be 2 separate entrees (and a slightly higher price), but maybe (theoretically) more pomme frites with being 2 sides.

And yes, Smoke Jumpers more recently has added it to their quick service meals & we have failed to remember that on any recent trips (so now I’ll have to add a note to my next touring plan, hehe).

2 Likes

I should have noted I shared Cafe Orleans Monte Cristo with my friend not my husband (I think that would have been a very different out come). My friend and I were completely satisfied with half of a half. In fact I had thought about getting a cup of the gumbo with it but glad I didn’t. That would have been too much for me. I hope to have a bigger appetite next time b/c I LOVE their gumbo!

1 Like

Love Blue Bayou’s atmosphere. Love when people on the passing boats yell to throw them a
buttered roll… I am down for that​:rofl::blush::heart: We just went in June, celebrating my daughter’s high school graduation. It was also Avengers Campus opening day so I had been trying all the drinks since 10am and was feeling it by the time our reservation was ready at 6pm. Our server was not thrilled that all I ordered was gumbo. I guess because its not an entrée? And he’d be missing out on maybe $10 more in a tip? Idk. I just said nicely I’m sorry I’m not feeling up to eating a full meal and that I will still tip like I was having the same meal as my daughter. She had the surf and turf and the creme brule with a Mint Julep. He left in a huff and when another server came by they asked if we’d like an extra plate to share :roll_eyes::rofl: So asking to share is definitely worth trying. At Disneyland one CM that says no another says yes.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks for the info @Ms.BarbsWildRide and @lolabear_la. We will see what is possible. It will be my son’s birthday lunch, and he is very excited about eating at Blue Bayou, but he is a very small 11 and is not at all big enough to do justice to an adult meal. Honestly, if it wasn’t his birthday, I would just order for him off the kids menu and not say anything about his age–he looks young. But we ordered a celebration cake, so the chances that the server will ask his age are pretty high.

1 Like