May The Stars Light Your Way - our August Trip!

I have decided that all of you who can post in real time with your families traveling with you are the most amazing people I’ve ever met! I couldn’t do it on this trip (I’m also blaming the heat), but I’m home and I have thoughts I want to share and a trip I want to remember with it being the second (and last!) trip on the Halcyon.

A little bit of background on me - I found Touring Plans back in 2017 when I was planning our first Disney World trip for my family of four. It was such an incredible resource, but I didn’t know about the forum at that point, mainly chat. But after that trip (September trip shortened on the front end by Irma, but still a great trip!), our family was hooked. We’ve been back once a year since then, bought into DVC in early 2020 (uh, gotta love that timing - our first DVC trip was September 2020… that was interesting), and we just finished our second trip of the year but our first as Annual Passholders! (woulda been nice if they were selling them back in January, but now our AP year goes until next August!) And yes, we do already have our next trip scheduled - December to go to Jollywood Nights (though I think we’re missing the early December crew as we’re trying to fit trips into school holidays now, hence the August trip this year).

My family - me (41 but my birthday is coming up! Member of the 1981 crew here), DH (48), DD10 and DD8.

Our January 2023 trip was supposed to be the only Disney trip this year - we were celebrating DD10’s birthday and had decided to go on the Starcruiser (was supposed to be our one and only time…). And then we got home from that trip and after a few months went by we started thinking about how we had some points burning a hole in our pocket and that the January trip was really like our 2022 trip so we should definitely plan another 2023 trip! And suddenly we had a week booked at Copper Creek. Then the DVC Starcruiser voyage was announced and the dates happened to work perfectly at the end of our already planned trip! But it sold out before I could book a cabin, so I added our name to the waitlist and forgot about it. Until we got a call saying we had a spot! We booked it and then a few weeks later the news came out that the Starcruiser was closing so I’m just so thankful we were able to go again (and we got some fun presents that I wasn’t expecting at all!).

When - August 13-19 at Wilderness Lodge, August 19-21 at the Galactic Starcruiser, August 21-22 at Contemporary Resort (because I was pretty sure I was going to be sad and not want to go directly to the airport on Monday so we stayed at a place I’ve always wanted to stay - Contemporary theme park room!)

Hopefully between all the work and catching up stuff of coming home from a trip I’ll get this out sooner rather than later, but figured if I at least started something the completionist in me would make sure I finished it!

28 Likes

Yay! Can’t wait to read.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Also many thanks to @JustKeepSmiling for encouraging this report! Loved reading about her and @Julianne_fki’s Halcyon adventures and realized how much I really did want to share mine too!

13 Likes

This pic is gorgeous! Looking forward to your report.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you’re doing a report! It’s a service, really, to those of us stuck in the real world :blush:

7 Likes

:raised_hand:t3:

Hi! Fellow aspiring trip reporter that needs to catch up from home! I personally am happy to read them anytime, so yes yes yes can’t wait to read about the amazingness to come just knowing all your accommodations!

6 Likes

Yay!

I so loved meeting you in January and I sure do hope we get to hang out again sometime!

5 Likes

Looking forward to reading all about it!

4 Likes

Me too!! I’m bummed I’m missing everyone heading down shortly but oh my goodness sitting on my deck in a sweatshirt is so wonderful after sweating immediately upon exiting a building no matter the time of day or night!

7 Likes

Yes!! And I’ve loved reading your Disneyland reports! Thank you!

5 Likes

They will not be nearly as epic as the force family reports but we’ll see what we can do!

6 Likes

It’s lovely here this evening too. I was just outside and a sweatshirt wouldn’t be uncalled for

6 Likes

Well our Jedi Master Trip Reporter needs some Padawans, like us. And thanks for reading along on the DLR fun! I’m hoping to do some for our upcoming trip. But it will indubitably end up being finished from home.

4 Likes

Yay!! Can’t wait to read more :grin:

4 Likes

So I should preface this report (does that term work when I’ve already started the report? :thinking:) with the fact that I am absolutely the Disney researching nerd in the family, and I’m the one who would happily stay all day in the park maximizing rides from genie+ due to all the researching and reading I’ve done (RIP BG1, but yay for at least still booking VQs!). My family loves rides but hates lines and so as soon as there was the hint of waiting (like in a guardians vq because the ride had been down earlier) they were ready to bail. Luckily I had done a super quick trip to Disneyland at the beginning of the month because I wanted to see Wonderous Journeys and Rogers the Musical so I got to have my rope drop to close fill and tried extremely hard not to make my family kill me with all the stuff we could do.

Because it was so. Freaking. Hot. While we were in Florida. We were there at the tail end of the heat advisory so it went from surface of the sun hot to just very hot over the time we were there (and we are from the Seattle area. Basically anything over 75 we consider hot and we start melting). Also my kids love to swim. I texted the grandparents at one point that we came to Disney world and my kids favorite activities were the pool and watching bluey on tv in the hotel room (both things we can do not having traveled across the country for I might add…)

So! With all that background out of the way our stage is set for a very early wake up call to get to the airport and start our journey Home! Will I get to do all the things I want? Will my kids get to swim and watch Bluey? Will DH and I still be talking after the end of the trip and we have to check three bags on the way home after checking none on the way to Florida because of all the extra goodies we accumulated? (spoiler - the answer is yes to all of the above, and also spoiler I’m not kidding about the bags, we went a little overboard this trip!)

16 Likes

I knew exactly what this was as soon as I saw the title :heart: :heart: :heart: So happy that you sharing your trip with us. I find post trip reports a great way to relive the fun which is especially necessary after departing the Halcyon! How are your disembarkation blues?

This is exactly the way my family is too.

Which makes slowing down with the family so much easier!!

5 Likes

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. How lucky you are to have had two excursions on the Halcyon!

4 Likes

All these trip reports about the Halcyon make me so sad that I’m not going to get to experience it, but I’m so excited to get to read about your experience!

7 Likes

5 Likes