May the Force Be With Us: A Family Trip Report Summer 2021

@Randall1028 Regarding RotR:

Spoilers

Apparently I have ridden on both tracks at the part with the AT-ATs. I didn’t notice the difference but DBIL did. Yesterday I rode your preferred way and today I did the other way. I can see why facing head on would be cooler.

Also, the cannon did kickback a couple of times while firing this time, I’m 100% sure if it. It was awesome.

4 Likes

That is my favourite as well.

I keep hearing rumours that they may want to change the theme of the ride. I hope that is not true. Love the Twilight Zone spin.

3 Likes

The front view is great. The first couple of times I rode, I did not even notice the Finn Animatronic.

If I recall correctly, if all cannons are working, they are all recoiling an your vehicle is doing its best to dodge them. It is like the you are in the middle of a video game and trying to avoid being hit.

3 Likes

I have always loved ToT, but after riding Guardians in DCA …I have to give that a nod over ToT.

3 Likes

I love the Guardians ride, but it does make me a tad more motion sick. And the part where your ride vehicle exits the shaft makes the Florida version cooler.

I have to say, I know why they do it, but skipping the preshow is a real bummer. It really sets the mood. And at the very end of the ride, Rod Serling is on the screen as you back out of the shaft, and a woman behind me seriously asked, “Isn’t that the guy from The Twilight Zone?” :joy::man_facepalming:t2:

I’m riding for my second time now using Rider Swap. DBIL didn’t want to ride and DW only wanted to ride once so DSIL and I are just riding twice. First time wait was only 26 min. Kids saw Lightning McQueen - I’ll have to ask them how it was.

10 Likes

Now I’m riding for my third time! I’m using DBIL’s rider swap pass. Basically no wait - walked all the way to my elevator.

9 Likes

Fantastic!!! Glad you got to do both tracks.

Sorry, currently out and about right now and haven’t been able to keep close updates on your trip.

Heh or a Galaxy Quest bit. :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you for the blurring the spoilers again.

Looking forward to experiencing both it and TSL with my boys, all of us for the first time.

Last time at WDW TSL just about to open, and last time at DLR, RotR was also just about to open. Missed them both by about 2 weeks. This Winter will be about doing ALL the things.

3 Likes

Caught a Pixar cavalcade on our way out of the park. The kids were so excited to get a Moana themed gondola at the Skyliner.

17 Likes

Hey Edna! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

During our last trip in July of 2018 my teenagers were SO excited to see Edna that we followed her around Tomorrowland …on two separate days!

2 Likes

Current Covid seating configuration in ToT:

They are currently boarding all rows on both sides. Only one party per half row, unless you can fit an empty seat between two parties (typically 2 + empty seat + single rider). The back row only has plexiglass between the two halves of the row. The remaining rows have an aisle so no plexiglass needed.

6 Likes

We took some Photopass photos on our way out:

Also got our SDD photo from this morning - well, one of them anyway:

21 Likes

While I’m waiting for my Boardwalk pizza to come up, I have some thoughts on SWGE. First some pics:

When SWGE first opened, I remember hearing one big complaint was the absence of John Williams’ iconic score in the land. Yes, he composed a piece specifically for the land, but the original scores to his films are not heard around the land.

However, his music is heard in the rides. In RotR, I heard the following themes, some of my absolute favorites by the way, and there are more that I need to listen for more closely next time:

Tagging for spoilers just in case y’all consider this spoilery

Empire strikes back motif during end escape from Star Destroyer
Rey’s Theme
Kylo Ren’s motif
Motif heard during final attack / explosion and escape from first Death Star
Throne Room theme

Hearing this music made the experience much more emotional and thrilling for me. I’m glad they broke the rules to include it.

13 Likes

I went on Alien Swirling Saucers back during my solo trip in January 2020. As an adult, it was kind of boring, but I can absolutely see how kids would love it. I would probably like it more if I experienced it with one of my kids when they were younger. I will say that the theming on this ride is top notch though. Even though the ride itself wasn’t my favorite, I would go again just to check out all the details.

13 Likes

For those who have been on Mater at DCA, it is just about the same ride, but the theming is not as fun IMO. Bonus points for being covered though. It is helpful to lean into the whips, which at least makes it seem like you are whipping faster.

7 Likes

Pizza is delish. It’s exactly the kind of pizza I like - bready crust with sweet sauce and plenty of cheese.

17 Likes

That family photo is fabulous!!:heart:

4 Likes

I have to know… Did the little darling ever get her Porg?

5 Likes

Ha ha! We actually have a porg at home. But we are going to get her something while we are here at Disney. She already got a Pygmy puff at Universal. :joy:

6 Likes