Mask Strategies

For those of you who have been to the parks lately, do you have any mask planning advice? Do you bring extra masks in your park bag? How many? Do you use disposable or reusable masks? Did you bring a lot of masks or wash them during your trip? Did you carry a bag to put your mask in when you were eating?

2 Likes

I don’t have littles anymore - mine are 17 and 20. (BTW transracial adoption - yeah!) We took a lot of cloth masks (we have a bunch of the Old Navy ones which are my favorites of any I’ve tried and they’re pretty inexpensive) as well as some paper ones. The only mask washing that occurred was because DD17 wanted to wear Baby Yoda mask on more than one day. We had plenty for multiple masks per day. We carried at least 6 extra paper masks in the backpack and we did swap out masks a couple of times. They can get icky. We did not bring a baggie to put masks in while eating, though that would have been a good idea.

5 Likes

I brought one cloth for each day plus I had papers. Plus I planned (and did) laundry mid-way though, including masks.

Generally I started with my comfy cloth masks, then when it got hot and humid changed to a paper, then when that got icky changed to a new cloth.

But I think everyone’s bio-life is different, and tolerance varies. I’d practice at home – maybe do some long walks and see how long a given mask works for you? At minimus, buy, pack, and carry paper masks to switch out.

4 Likes

We took multiple masks in our park bag each day. We had both cloth masks as well as disposable. I had clean masks in one baggie and dirty masks in another. For two of us, we brought enough cloth masks for each of us to wear two or three different ones each day. Part of that is because I have a serious mask problem (I have bought so many because of all of the cute designs) and because we had heat index over 100 each day we were there so wanted to be able to change a few times throughout the day.
Personally, I love the new Disney masks - the material is lighter than the first round of masks they released and they are cuter than disposable. But, DH likes the disposable because they are lighter.
For this trip, we used a mask lanyard for the first time and loved it! It made it easy to slip the mask off to eat or drink without fumbling with it or trying to find a place to set it down.
The Wave provided a plate to place your mask (have not found this to be true at the restaurants in the park) but if I did take off the mask, I would lay it on a napkin on the table. For QS and F&W, the lanyard worked really well

4 Likes

I brought probably 50 different masks with us, several different types and sizes. Each of the 7 of us had our one kind of mask that we liked. Those of us who liked a cloth variety ended up using the same one or two pretty much the whole time. I used some dish soap to wash them out in the sink every night and hung to dry. DS16 only liked the regular disposable masks and DS11 only liked the KN95s that I packed for the plane rides. To each his own I suppose. But even being there in the heat of August we didn’t usually feel a need to change them out during the day.

4 Likes

Wow! I’m seriously impressed with how many masks some of you own! We have one for each kid (except DD20 who got some for his August birthday before heading back to college.). And I have two. DH has four bc his employee gave him three and I bought him one.

1 Like

We were then when temps were at or near 100 (heat index some days above 110). I would wear one mask and bring one as a back up each day. Never really found a need to swap them out during the day…although I guess it depends on how hot your specific mask is.

When we ate, I would just loop the mask over my forearm usually.

We washed the masks in the sink and let them dry overnight, but we had enough masks that if they didn’t dry, we could use a different mask the next day. You can also use the hair dryer to help dry them out faster.

In total, I brought 4 masks, but mostly just used 2 during our entire trip.

1 Like

I brought like 7-8. Only liked 3 (same brand/style) so just rotated them and washed in the sink as I used them. Only wore 1 per day. Did carry just in case disposable in park backpack. The style I wear goes behind the head, so just pulled it down around my neck when eating / drinking Hand sanitized before/after. (I have never used so much hand sanitizer before. Shout out to the Bath & Bodyworks cute holders. I got a halloween cat that had a lanyard. I then attached to outside pocket of bag for easy access)

1 Like

We brought around 15 masks (all the same kind that we knew we liked ahead of time). I brought 2 extras each day (so 3 total) but we mainly used 2. At night I washed them out in the sink and grabbed another 3 for the next day.

3 Likes

I so wish I had learned this early in my career. It would have saved me a lot of angst and anxiety! But I think you are right on the money with that observation.

Although I haven’t been to WDW recently, I carry a nested stack of maybe 2-3 n95 masks in a container meant to hold a jumbo pack of face wipes. I think it’s by Neutrogena. It’s pretty large but it keeps them from getting squished, and the masks themselves are durable. I switch them out mostly because of the different pressure points.

1 Like

I had cloth masks, but quickly realized the paper disposable ones are THE BEST for the hot humid weather.

I also wear a mask chain, so when I’m eating I can just wear the dang thing like a necklace. Then I don’t have to figure out where to put it or worry about losing it.

2 Likes

I took three per day per person. I brought Woolite in a travel container to wash them at night. Three might have been overkill.
One thing to be aware of. First day I was breathing in my sunscreen. That was unpleasant.

3 Likes

Has anyone worn the 32 Cool brand masks from Costco at WDW? Those are our family favorite but I’m afraid that they will be seen as not double layered even though they are. You have to look very closely at them to see both (actually 3) layers.
https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-adult-unisex-face-cover,-8-pack-regular-size.product.100669786.html

1 Like

I did see people wearing that style. Only people I ever saw stopped (and this only happened at Disney Springs) were those with vents.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Oh, I like the idea of a mask lanyard.

1 Like

Good point on the sunscreen. How did you avoid that?

I had some SPF50 swimsuit fabric, so I made a mask out of that, and I made some masks that went to my ears.

Of course, I am a pale redhead. I am practically sun-phobic.

Normal people could probably just not put sunscreen under the mask.

2 Likes