Mask, social distancing update effective 6/15

I’m a Mainah!

3 Likes

I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle. I’m not on board with the free for all going on here, but I also believe all of our trends are going down which is leading to these calls being made. We definitely have done some wrong moves here, but I believe the UK vaccination rollout methodology is partly to blame for the trends you are seeing now. While your cases are rising it seems to be highly driven by the same age groups the UK won’t vaccinate yet so essentially shooting yourselves in the foot. It’s really unfortunate for the vast majority of you to pay the price with these extreme restrictions.

1 Like

In fairness very few children were getting ill with covid previously. We had no way of knowing that a new variant would attack young people in this way. And a US liner mentioned exactly the same is happening in her state today.

5 Likes

I was referring more to the 20somethings age group which have always played a part in spread here. Kids… I know nothing about the little ones.

Super interesting that it is the same day California’s tier system ends, but California is still going to require that large events that bring big groups of people together still require either masks or proof of vaccination, in order to enter unmasked. DLR’s announcement for the 15th did reiterate that masks will still be required (so they opted not to deal with the nuance of looking at vaccination proof for unmasked guests). So unless there is any change by the state in the next 4 days, DLR will (for now) still have to comply with either mandating masks or looking at vaccination proof.

A lot of other things for DLR will change for the positive on 15th, including out of state residents can return, social distancing and capacity restrictions won’t apply - which will do a lot for improving operations that have been a challenge for DLR. But they haven’t made any announcements (other than to welcome back out of state guests) on how they will be dealing with social distancing/capacity. But I’ll be there the 15th and hopefully reporting back on the DLR side if anyone’s curious.

5 Likes

I’ll just repeat what I said in my trip report. My only complaint is I wish they had given like 2 weeks warning.

(Reposting in the correct thread.)

9 Likes

Maybe it is a vaccine thing? It would be difficult for me to find anyone age 12 or older in my state that could not have at least one vaccine dose by now, in general-both. People will continue to get Covid if they are unvaccinated. I don’t think the UK is at the same level of vaccination access?

6 Likes

I had to read the whole thread to see if anyone said it yet. Of course Disney would re-open fast passes on Tuesday (or maybe every restaurant currently closed) just to see how fast they can crash their system. Isn’t that the weekly Tuesday plan?

12 Likes

Only under 25s haven’t been offered appointments - though anyone 16+ with a health condition should be fully vaccinated now.

2 Likes

Fully vaccinated or one shot? Also, what is the latest research on AZ and the new strains? I am just wondering if they are being overly cautious or not.

2 Likes

I just realized we have approached 2 weeks after Memorial Day. I saw articles before the holiday with some experts worried about outbreaks due to loosening restrictions and big holiday get togethers and get aways. My state and county continue to drop in cases and positivity. Are there any areas with outbreaks in the US? Maybe this is one of the reasons why Disney has decided to loosen masks restrictions further?

10 Likes

Ooh you’re right! I forgot that they have that large event/venue distinction.

I do think they’ll probably do away with the social distancing, limited capacity in resturants and stores, etc sooner rather than later since all that goes away with the tiers gone on 6/15. They’ll probably just advise unvaccinated people to follow CDC guidance.

4 Likes

44% of the UK population is fully vaccinated. 62% is partially vaccinated.

43% of the US population is fully vaccinated. 53% is partially vaccinated.

7 Likes

Yes, the US might reach 70 percent when all ages can be vaccinated but all the mass vaccination sites around here are closed. If someone wanted it, most likely they have been able to get the vaccine.

3 Likes

The 12-15 year olds have reached the point of getting their second vaccine. My two 12 year olds get their second dose tomorrow. They got their first one about a week or so after it was approved for their age. Our mass vaccination center is still open.

3 Likes

I should have said are closing- all of ours are closing at the end of the month.

I just want to have an idea of what rules I should follow in 10 days. It seems like restaurant capacity is opening so I guess I should think about if I want to set a Oga’s alert?

4 Likes

That’s what I’m wondering. If the somewhat randomized access here led to us seeing better case trends vs the UK where large subsets of the population weren’t eligible because of age and risk level.

1 Like

I would set alerts. They can’t keep capacity at restaurants down too much longer. It’s literally going to turn into the Hunger Games trying to get an ADR.

5 Likes

My 15yo will be one week post second dose tomorrow. :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

I myself am THRILLED by this news!!! Been praying Disney would get rid of this mandate before our July trip!!! Now bring on single rider and full capacity rides!!!

4 Likes