Magic Band user swap

Over the past couple trips to Disney World my family and I have gotten magic bands (back when they gave them out for free). My wife and I both have 2 attached to our names. My son has one attached to his name. My daughter has one attached to her name. We have all of the bands still except for the one attached to my daughter.
Does anyone know when we go for our next trip in January, can she use one of the bands currently assigned to my wife or me? If yes, do we have to tell anyone? Someone through Disney before we arrive? Or someone at the resort?
Thanks for the help!

You cannot reassign magic bands. Once link to a guest they can not be linked to another.

1 Like

Ugh. Of course. Money-grab. :man_facepalming:

I thought you could reassign magic bands? you can’t reassign tickets though.

No you can’t.

1 Like

I have reassigned tickets in the past.

before they’ve been used, right? I thought a CM told me I could reassign a MB once after DS said he liked his Dad’s MB better… too much time as past …

Once a magic band has been linked to a profile there is no way to unlink it. I think a few of us did multiple experiments with this, maybe last year?

2 Likes

You could take the middle puck out of your wife’s band and swap it for one of your daughters.

2 Likes

Nice!

The puck is the part of the magic band that is linked to the profile so I don’t think this will work?

1 Like

You know what, I reread the OP and yes if the problem is that DD doesn’t have a puck anymore from an old band then it would be an issue. You would have to get her a new band first and then swap pucks, but could get one of the cheaper bands for her now and then be able to reuse a fancy band from a previous trip.

2 Likes

I suspect it less a money grab and more of a technical nightmare for Disney. If the MB is assigned to someone else, they would need to ensure all the backend systems clean up any prior associations to the original owner at the same time. Thee risk is that the new assigned person could go to use it, but it mistakenly charges the original owner, etc.

It is just safer if they avoid it entirely. Since MBs are relatively cheap, and entirely optional to use, I think this is an entirely reasonable solution on Disney’s part.

2 Likes