Lurkers!

OMG you making this reference makes me love you all the more! (Geez, it really is like that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

16 Likes

This is for @OBNurseNH’s reply too! And some MLP for @ScottFL just because!

18 Likes

Oh, yes. You can definitely recognize him on the forums. It has been a while since I’ve seen him.

6 Likes

Yes

I miss him even tho I don’t think a plain olive green circle was in that last mishmash. :smile:

7 Likes

I’m definitely keeping the olive green circle with the J. :smile:

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Start one!!
(I haven’t read any further. Maybe you did already)

I’d be a regular in that thread. :smiley:

7 Likes

So this stems from paper maps when that was what there was.
Pinpoint your location. Dot, circle, star.

Draw a circle. Use a compass, string and pencil, appropriately sized round thing (cup, bucket, etc)
Day trip - maybe your circle is 60 to 90 miles from center (dot, star, etc) to edge.
Weekend trip - maybe your circle is 200 to 300 miles.
Week - now we’re talkin! Maybe your circle is 500 to 1000 miles and your home dot is on the edge of the circle!

Where to go? Look inside your circles to see what’s there which meshes with what y’all are currently interested in. Maybe it’s waterfalls and there are a cluster of them within one area 75 miles from your home. Weekend adventure!

Maybe it’s vacation time and DS is suddenly into sand dunes. One of your biggest circles has 2 state parks (inland) and a national seashore within the circle, if you overnight in two different areas.

Or maybe it’s museums, historical stuff, skiing.

It just cracks me up the dino tracks, waterfalls, and sand dunes we’ve been to for kids who grew up to no real interest now. But we have memories - some awfully funny. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I really like this idea. I do like maps in general, though :blush:

7 Likes

circle circle dot dot now you got a cooties shot

10 Likes

Do you remember the old paper trip-tiks from AAA? I used to create those in addition to the digital ones back in my 20s as my day job counterpart to bartending. So many travel possibilities! I loved maps after working there. Still do.

8 Likes

Holy cow, I leave for a few days and come back to 100s of comments. Let’s see what we have here…

Not sure about this, but definitely agree with this:

Or like this, 2+ days later?!?

Howdy! So glad you’re here!

This forum was a big reason I didn’t go insane during our family’s medical crisis in 2018. Have stuck around ever since. I hope all of you do too. Lurker or not.

I think this is what sets this place apart. How welcoming the “active talkers” are. Of course, there is lots of snark and sarcasm as well, but I think its usually pretty clear that this is for fun and just part of the friendly nature of the community.

This statement made me laugh, it would be so odd without any context. Thanks for that one. :laughing:

There are multiple “generations” of Liner Mothers and Fathers. I got on in 2018 and I still feel like a noob.

Can’t get active posters very easily (writing some kind of web “bot” could do it), but it would be easy to track these site stats every day. After a while you’d get a pretty robust number for active daily users. I wonder how often the stats are recalculated. If the “Last 24 hours” is more-or-less live data, it would be interesting to track it hourly somehow and see a time plot of activity. I’m such a nerd…

I have the same origin story!

I love it. Don’t change it.

Good times. Your fame has grown to include many diverse aspects at this point. Keep it up dude!

I think you should edit your quote to the [redacted] version.

So good to hear from you! Glad you are still here!

Yeah that’s what I was thinking.

Yes!

!!! LURKER AWARD !!!

@Tnamaybee gets the award for Lurkiest Liner for 8 YEARS OF LURKING!

ETA - I know this doesn’t consider comments, so probably not 8 years of lurking, but whatever. Can we get @Randall1028 to make a Lurker achievement for @Tnamaybee?

21 Likes

Ok, now that I’ve spent waaay too long catching up in this thread, I really need to get some work done. Happy Monday everyone…

12 Likes

I had one created in 2020 to take highways from SC to WDW without going on the interstate. We ended up not using it. It made the trip take a lot longer and Gregg wasn’t feeling well.

4 Likes

Cheers!

15 Likes

I would still get them in the 2010-2014ish time frame (and previously), but then specifically because the kids liked something tangible and flipping the pages when we drove far enough to finish one. I didn’t like when they changed the size from the longer/skinnier version to the version that’s basically a regular sized sheet of paper folded in half…it just felt wrong somehow! :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ll have to think of something… not really sure how to depict it without it looking creepy off the top of my head. :joy:

12 Likes

Oof, I did not know it showed how long it has been since my last post. Even with comments it has probably been about that long…

Caught Shame GIF - Caught Shame Red GIFs

Haha, guess I will see everyone again in another 8 years!

30 Likes

Cats can have a lurkish quality without necessarily being creepy.

4 Likes

You just want cat pictures. You ain’t foolin’ me!!

11 Likes