LoveBug53's Disney Trip Report

I agree - that strawberry cupcake was delicious! It was so pretty I almost felt bad eating it. Almost. :wink: December was a great time to visit - I was worried that the crowds might be heavy but I am a solid convert to following a touring plan! We got so much done - even on Christmas Eve day! The decorations were amazing! The pictures donā€™t do it justice at all!

Free dining was a great money saver with two teen boys - I kept track of what each meal and snack would have cost us and we came out well ahead as well. :smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to reading it when you share it with us @Outer1! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Wahoohokie! Iā€™m working on Day 3 right now - glad youā€™re enjoying it!

Thanks @atomic! Youā€™re very sweet! :heart: It really was a fabulous trip - Iā€™m happy to share our experiences with everyone as I really enjoy reading other peopleā€™s reports! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Quattro! So happy you are enjoying it! Iā€™ll have the next bit up soon! :smile:

1 Like

I had the same experience with Space. I also had it with R&R. Someone told me that the coasters have to be refurbed and tuned upā€¦just like your car I guess. Shock absorbers and alignment?

1 Like

@Outer1 has begun his trip report? Hmmm, please tell me where to find it :clap: :smiley:

1 Like

Good morning everyone! Another snowy day here - a good time to reflect on our warm and sunny holiday! Hope you all enjoy this installment! :smile:

Part 3 - Epcot

Friday December 19, 2014

We slept in!

Donā€™t panic - it was on purpose. We thankfully gave the rooster the morning off and woke up at 7:45 a.m., feeling well rested and ready to tackle Epcot! Showers and granola bars all around, and another coffee run to Everything Pop (surprised at how much busier it was at this time of the morning!) before heading out to the bus stop. The bus arrived by 8:30 a.m. and we were at the park in time for its 9 a.m. opening. Off to another great start!

The plan was to head directly to Test Track. The plan. I kind of messed up the plan. Those little paths look decidedly different in real life than on the page and I missed my turn. After a small(ish) detour (okay - I went waaay out of the way!) we were in line with a few hundred of our closest friends.

Okay, Iā€™m exaggerating. A bit. But our Touring Plan had us with a 27 minute wait at opening and we were still within that time frame so I let go of the guilt quickly. The lady in front of us was standing on a number on the floor (for car designing purposes) but then moved ahead to join the party in front of her. We got to spread out a bit and each DS got to design their own car, and DH and I had one to share. It was perfect!

That ride is just too much fun! What a blast and jolt of wakefulness better than any cup of coffee!

When we exited we saw that the line had grown - a lot! Good thing my detour wasnā€™t any longer than it had been!

We headed straight across Future World to the Mission: Space area. DH and DS17 decided to ride ā€œMission: SPACE Greenā€ while DS19 decided to go all out on ā€œMission: SPACE Orangeā€. I decided to hold down a lovely retaining wall and people watch, while looking over my plans for the day. And what a day it was - the sun was shining and it was already very warm! I had rode the ā€˜Greenā€™ version once before but of all the rides Iā€™ve been on, it affected my motion sickness the most. I was happy to stay firmly on Planet Earth and wait for the more adventurous members of my family.

It wasnā€™t too long of a wait. (Posted as 5 minutes for the Green version and 15 minutes for the Orange.) DH tried to tell me DS19ā€™s ship hadnā€™t returned to earth (not funny!). He appeared shortly after so we headed over to the Land Pavilion for our 10:05 a.m. - 11:05 a.m. FPP for ā€œSoarinā€™ā€. Using those Liner smarts, we asked to be seated in B1. Happily, our request was met. In minutes we were flying over tangy-smelling orange groves and fresh-smelling oceans. And best of all, we were front and centre with no feet dangling in our view!

Next up on the Touring Plan we had ā€œLiving with the Landā€. This is another family favourite. The line was a bit longer than forecast but was still only 15 minutes (estimated as 4 minutes on my TP). The CMs allowed us to spread out into two rows so we comfortably enjoyed our boat ride.

It was now time for our second FPP to ā€œThe Seas with Nemo & Friendsā€ from 11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. We all enjoyed the ride as well as the aquarium exhibit at the end of it. We spent quite a bit of time looking at the dolphins, manatees, sharks and stingrays.

At this point we decided to check out ā€œClub Coolā€. We had missed it on our previous trip and wanted to try all the pops from countries of the world. It wasnā€™t busy in there so we were able to take our time and try every flavour. My favourites were from Greece and South Africa. The Beverly from Italy was something else! It tastes bad. Thenā€¦ hang onā€¦ It gets worse! Lol! Good thing South Africa washed it down completely!

Our third FPP was for Spaceship Earth at 12:25 p.m. - 1:25 p.m. The ride had been down for most of the morning but was now up and running. The line looked really long - even the FPP return - but it went quickly and we were on within the 5 minutes that Touring Plans had predicted. We love that ride! The personal video at the end is so funny! Two thumbs up from all of us!

At this point we decided to go to a nearby FPP Kiosk to see if there was a chance for either Soarinā€™ or Test Track as our 4th FPP. Nope. But we picked ā€œLiving with the Landā€ again for 4 - 5 p.m. Next on our agenda was a side trip out of the park to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and lunch at The Mara.

We caught the bus with only a 5 minute wait. As we drew closer, the announcer stated that weā€™d be making stops at both Kidani and Jambo. Oops. In all my careful planning, I had neglected to make note of which place The Mara was located! There were only a handful of people on the bus but fortunately the man snoozing in the back seat (sorry to disturb you, sir!) knew that it was located at Jambo House. Crisis averted!

All I can say is WOW! What a resort! I think it would definitely be our first choice to stay at if we ever have the chance to stay deluxe. The Christmas decorations in the lobby were stunning! The whole ambience of the place was incredibly special!

We asked for directions to The Mara as it wasnā€™t clear where it was located. A CM walked us there as he was heading that way. We decided we were hungry for bacon angus cheeseburgers. We ordered them with fries and chose chocolate and strawberry milk for our drinks. The dessert was an easier choice - Zebra Domes! I had been wanting to try them for ages and after the DH and DSs waivered over the many choices, we all ended up picking them! Let me tell you, they did not disappoint. The whole meal was fantastic! We got our condiments and ate outside near the pool area. It was a picture perfect day!

After our meal we took a walk around the grounds and saw the zebras, giraffes and other animals on the Savannah. There were several look-out spots that offered a great view.

We walked around the pool area and went back through that stunning lobby and then down to the bus shelter. Only minutes later a bus came to return us to Epcot.

We arrived back just before 4 p.m. and were able to use our FPP for ā€œLiving with the Landā€ right away. It really wasnā€™t necessary at all because there was no line. None! We used it to free up the ability to get another FPP and enjoyed another leisurely ride around the greenhouses.

Next we went to see Captain EO. It was just about to start so they hurried us into the theatre so we wouldnā€™t have to wait for the next showing. I am a fan of Michael Jackson so I didnā€™t mind it but I think I was the one who liked it the most. I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother sitting through it again, but Iā€™m glad I did see it once.

Next we got a FPP for Figment so we could bypass the 30 minute wait (we were able to book one for immediate use). DH gets great enjoyment out of watching peopleā€™s reactions as they are hit with the skunk smell. I get a kick out of watching him and our DSs laughing away. Boys!

Next up - Canada, our home and native land! The gardens (styled to depict Butchart Gardens in British Columbia) were beautiful. We leisurely strolled through the shop, and on to the United Kingdom, taking time to admire the buildings and charming atmosphere.

Another first for us was the Boardwalk area. We had completely missed this on our last trip to Epcot so we took the ferry boat over and strolled along past the cute shops, popping in to look around. We had a pleasant walk of about 20 minutes to return to the International Gateway. It was now early evening and the lights shining on the water were beautiful!

Next up I convinced the boys to do the Agent P Adventure in France. In hindsight, I likely should have skipped this but DS19 and I rather enjoyed it. It would likely have been easier to accomplish in the daylight and not around a busy eating time. We finished our mission just in time to watch ā€œImpressions of Franceā€ in the theatre. Wow! Honestly, this movie was nearly as good as Soarinā€™! We all enjoyed sitting comfortably as we toured France.

Still full from lunch, we decided to split two Shawarma Chicken and Lamb platters, with two pops, and baklava. They also gave me two large free ice waters that I dressed up with my trusty flavour drops. There was plenty of seating outside, and even an electrical socket for DS19 to recharge his phone. The food was plenty for the four of us and so delicious - especially the lamb, which none of us had tried before.

We toured past Japan, America, Italy and Germany, admiring the buildings lit up in the warm evening. We entered China, and with only a few minutes to wait to see the movie. Although you had to stand through it, it was very well done and 360 degrees around you.

We decided to ride ā€œGran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballerosā€ in the Mexican pavilion. There wasnā€™t a wait at all and we enjoyed our boat ride.

When we exited, there was about 15 minutes until ā€œIlluminations: Reflections of Earthā€. The crowds around the lagoon were solid so we decided to watch from the elevated position up near the Odyssey Center. There were a few trees blocking a bit of the show but we had a decent view - and it was spectacular! Another first for our family and we really enjoyed it!

It was evening EMH for resort guests so we took the short cut across the Odyssey Center to ā€œTest Trackā€. We could see many park guests being turned away but we were able to enter the queue and ride with minimal wait. This ride at night seems a lot faster and even more fun! We love it!

On exit we saw that the line was huge so we decided to go back for another round on ā€œSpaceship Earthā€.

Again, a very minimal wait for an enjoyable ride. By this time we were tired, and with a 55 minute posted wait for ā€œTest Trackā€ we decided to call it a day. What a fun, full day! We caught the Art of Animation bus, walked across our bridge and were in our room by 11:35 p.m. Need to be up early for Animal Kingdom!

15 Likes

What a great day! I can tell you made a solid plan for using those free CS credits. Iā€™m very intrigued by the idea of doing all CS sometime.

2 Likes

Wow I am learning alot from you. We have never gone to Boardwalk and the way you fit it in is great!! Another wonderful day. Thanks again for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks @SallyEppcot! With a bit of planning there are so many great CS meals to try! We didnā€™t miss the table service at all!

1 Like

Thanks @atomic! I learned so many tips beforehand on here that helped make our trip run smoothly. Iā€™m just trying to return the favour - I hope that by sharing our experiences it helps with the planning of other peopleā€™s vacations! :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m really impressed that you were able to cruise out to AKL in the middle of your day and still get everything done in Epcot that you wanted - awesome!

2 Likes

I had made two Touring Plans - one with the break to AKL and one without. We made the decision that morning, after seeing how well we were able to keep to the plan. Happily, it worked out really well! :smile:

2 Likes

You are definitely returning the favor! I am 3 weeks away from our familyā€™s trip to WDW and have made several notes while reading through your trip report :smile: *noted: seat B1 for Soarin, pay attention to directions on getting to test track (also our first pick for Epcot), pack motion sickness meds, changed kids drinks from soda to chocolate milk for our BOG lunch (speaking of BOG lunch, thank you so much for your food pics!!! I couldnā€™t decide between the turkey sandwich or braised pork - but now am leaning towards the pork.)

Question: itā€™s hard for me to wrap my mind around the weatherā€¦ Itā€™s so cold where I live, it seems odd to pack shorts and short sleeves. What were most people wearing at the park? (from your pics, it looks like jeans and t-shirts).

Thank you for such a detailed report with awesome pictures!!! This is really helping me :smiley:

2 Likes

Glad you are finding the report helpful @vpillers! Congrats on your upcoming trip!

Another tip to add to your list - I find the front of any coaster to be the best for my motion sickness - especially helped with Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios. I had previously been on both the front and the back - and made sure to request front this time! It made a huge difference for me - much smoother and less ā€˜whippingā€™ around.

DS17 loved his turkey sandwich but the rest of us really loved the pork. It honestly was so good - it makes my mouth water just thinking back to it!

It is really cold where Iā€™m from too (Ontario) - in fact it is to feel like -30 C (-22 F) tomorrow morning! The boys and I wore shorts each day and I carried a backpack with our sweaters in it (we usually started with them on and ditched them in the middle part of the day). DH wore a mix of shorts and jeans. The weather for December and January is so unpredictable - I think you are going to have to pack both long and short pants and shirts. We had everywhere from mid 70s to mid 80s during the day and lows in the 60s and 50s at night. If you are used to the cold, you likely wonā€™t have to bundle up as much as our southern friends! :wink: It will feel warm!

Have a great trip and if you have anymore questions, ask away! :smile:

4 Likes

Another fabulous installment. We love AKL, in fact thats how we ended up buying dvc. Its our home. Tangierine cafe is a favorite of dh and I. Another very full day for you all.

2 Likes

I really want to go to EP and AKL right now! What a fun day and great pictures. I canā€™t believe how much you are doing each day. You have a lot of energy!

I love the gardens of Canada at EP. One of my favorite parts.

I think there are a lot of QS meals that can be split. It is a great way to both save money and have a chance to try a lot of food. My daughter and I split a lot of meals on our trip.

I frequently make more than one TP for a day, just in case. I did it a lot more before FPP but having different options are helpful. You clearly did a great job planning!!! You have a lucky family.

1 Like

Wow! Lucky you to have AKL as your ā€˜homeā€™! It was simply stunning! Great choice!!!

Tangierine CafƩ was so good - huge, shareable portions and tasty, too! We will definitely go again!

And thanks! :smile:

1 Like

:blush: Thanks! I know we couldnā€™t tour like that if we had young kids but we were able to keep that pace for 4 days in a row. DH was ready for a break after that! :wink:

3 Likes