LIVE Trip Report: Pop Century July 2nd-July 9th

@spoerlx3 It was closed! We wanted to do Living with the Land. It looked cool from the restaurant!

Iā€™m so glad that your return to Epcot changed your mind about the park. It really is a great park, and Esme will enjoy it more as she gets older, but Iā€™m glad that you can see how much fun it is for adults and older kids.

Have a great time at HS today!

I just spent my lunch catching up on your trip! I want to go with you. I have really enjoyed it so far. Looking forward to HS. I am feeling like I am there!

2 Likes

@TashaM I am trying to call nowā€¦ I will let you know. I am ,oving read about your tripā€¦ it is making me excited for mine!

1 Like

Hi Tasha,

I have spoken to Port Orleans Riverside. They will absolutely take the stroller and hold itā€¦ the person I spoke with said they had never heard of leaving something for a resort being denied! Just leave it at Riverside under Maria and Steven Thomas checking in July 10, 2015.

I am sorry this has been trouble for you, but I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!

Thanks,

1 Like

Great! We will get it there!!! :smile:

Day 6: Hollywood Studios - Part 1

We woke up at 6:30 feeling refreshed. Headed to the bus stop and got to Hollywood Studioā€™s within 10 minutes, it was a very short ride. It was only 7:30 at this point and they had those with ADRā€™s line up on the left & check in. The rope dropped at 7:45. There was no photopass people out yet. So we just headed over to Hollywood & Vine for our reservation at 8:05.

They let us right in & seated us in another aisle/buffet line pass wayā€¦ not ideal, but we had easy access to the food. The food was all basic breakfast foods, nothing special or signature. Then the characters started coming in: Jake, Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins and Handy Manny. About every 15 minutes two cast members started signing & dancing, which prompted the characters to come join & the kids as well. Esme wasnā€™t too interested in the singing or dancing, but I was! I thought it was fun. But sheā€™s the shy type, so she felt more comfortable watching from her chair. We had filled up our autograph tote bag that we made, so I had bought a little autograph book for her at the gift shop. I was really surprised on how big the characters signed their namesā€¦ I should have thought of that, considering their ā€œhandsā€ are gigantic, of course their signatures will be as well!!!

We didnā€™t get out of breakfast until 9:15ā€¦ it could have been a lot longer if Esme was interested in the dancing partā€¦ I can see how some families can spend 2 hours there!!! Once we were out, I headed right over to the ā€œFrozen Premium Packageā€ check in kiosk, which was right next to Min & Bills Diner. They gave us special ā€œpassesā€ on lanyards for access to a special viewing area for the parade as well as the fireworks and a premium seat pass for the sing along at any time we choose.

Considering we still had an hour before the parade started, we headed up to Street of America to explore. We ended up walking onto Star Toursā€¦ watching this right after breakfast was a HUGE mistake, especially considering I already have vertigoā€¦ I seriously almost threw up in the space ship. Esme thought it was really fun though, she wanted to go again, but I just couldnā€™t! I had to take some Dramamine afterwards to stop the spins. We then headed next door to Muppets 3D, which started only a few minutes after we arrived. It was a really charming movie, with some live puppets. Esme really loved how bubbles fell from the ceiling during one of the scenes.

We still had a good 30 minutes before the parade check in time, so we decided to try the Great Movie Ride. This ride was actually really scary to Esme due to the gun scenes, skeletons and aliens. I should have watched the utube video of this ahead of time. We waited about 15 minutes in the standby, then the ride was about 20 minutes long, so we were late for the check inā€¦ Opps. We still made it in time to see the parade, we just didnā€™t have a lot of time to get settled in or enjoy a lot of frozen drinks or snacks they offered.

The frozen processional was really neat, but really quick. They had a marching flag crew, some on roller skates, some on roller blades, dancing around the float with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Elsa. I was surprised that the reserved seating area didnā€™t have more interaction from the characters, even a quick wave or look would have done, but thatā€™s okayā€¦ I know we were not the only people thereā€¦ They allowed the kids to sit in the front row and there was plenty of room to move around. The snacks were ice cream bars and sodas/water. Nothing ā€œfrozen themedā€ as I had expected? Maybe I was putting my expectations too high for thisā€¦ considering the Pirates & Pals event I paid for was so awesome & themed, I guess I assumed this would be too.

We then headed over to Disneyā€™s Animation, which Esme was not interested in at all. We stopped to see Baymax from a distance, as the standby line was 60+ minutes. He looked really fun.

We then headed to Disney Jr Live for our fast pass at 11:20. The queue had Disney Jr on TVā€™s, which was really nice. It was very hot by this time, so we were grateful to be standing under a tree in line! The show was really fun and interactive. It had all the shows Esme loves: Mickey Mouse Club House, Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First and Jake. They were puppets, which were done really really well!

Once done, we headed over to our FP for Toy Story Mania. Esme was begging to ride a ā€œreal rideā€, so she was thrilled to be at Pixar Place. It took 10 minutes in the FP line to get on the ride. It was really fun shooting the dart guns. I scored a 99,500 and Esme got 13,700 points. Once we got off the ride we saw that it was down pouringā€¦ thankfully I parked my stroller under a tent.

We ran to our lunch reservation at 50ā€™s Prime Time CafĆ© at 12:30. I was soaked. Esme was completely dry because she was in the stroller and had her rain coat. We sat down right away. It was a super cool place and very themed. All of the TVā€™s and dĆ©cor on the walls kept Esme entertained the whole time:

The food was actually really good! Comes in second place for me, behind The Garden Grill. I got a rootbeer float and it was 100% amazing. I was originally going to get a milk shake, but I was so full, I decided to go with the next best thing. Our waitresses name was Meg and she is from Canada. We had a lot to talk about b/c Vermont is very close to Canada. I tipped her a big tip because she took a lot of time with Esme and even got her to eat her veges! They have this rule in the restaurant that if you have your elbows on the tables & they catch you doing it more than 3 times, then you have to stand with your nose in the corner & the whole room says ā€œshame on youā€. It was so funny watching others do itā€¦ thankfully Es and I used our manners. We spent 1.5 hours here considering all the excitement.

Once done lunch, we were both drained, so we headed to the bus stopā€¦ where Sven photo bombed us:

Now we are back to the hotel and Esme is resting. She was very emotional todayā€¦ I think she was just overwhelmed and tired. There are so many people and things to look at, it is easy to overload these little people. She is thrilled to go back for the Frozen sing along and fireworksā€¦ YAY!

So we are following the touring plan and getting to do much more than expectedā€¦ so I am happy! I am very glad I designed my days around giving us a lot of time and flexibility, as I could see how some people would feel disappointed or let down if they didnā€™t get to everything they planned. I am also glad that I have been wearing sneakers in the mornings, then sandals in the evening, as it gives my feet a break for each type of shoe & not get blisters. I am also glad that I have been wearing yoga style pants, as itā€™s so hard to watch these women who wore short shorts or skirts, walk around bow legged (which we all know is because of chaffing)ā€¦ :frowning: Poor ladies.

13 Likes

OMG she is SO cute!!!

1 Like

Another great day! Congrats to you and all your careful planning - it is really paying off! :smile:

1 Like

I hope you enjoyed the dessert party and fireworks. I went with my DD, then 14, last year for a mom/daughter trip and it was a highlight for us. If it was the same, youā€™ll find your themed desserts there!

Iā€™ve loved reading your report. Itā€™s such a blessing to have such a special time with your daughter.

1 Like

Day 6: Hollywood Studioā€™s - Part 2

We came back to the hotel and rested until about 4:00. I had originally promised that Es could go in the pool after she rested, but it was still raining, so we decided to head back to Hollywood Studioā€™s & see if we could catch a show.

We rode the bus, which was a short 15 minute rideā€¦ a little longer than earlier. When we got to the kiosk to scan our magic bands, Esme realized she had forgotten hers, so we had to go to the guest services desk to get her a ā€œreplacement cardā€ to use for the day. That would have sucked if they made us go all the way back to Pop to get it. I was kicking myself in the butt for not asking her if she brought it (as I do every other time!).

We decided to check our the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. It was so much fun! We spent about 10 minutes in there, but had a lot of fun crawling through the ant holes & checking out the huge breathing/sniffing dog noseā€¦

I decided to switch my FP from Star Tours (as we walked on this morning) to Journey of the Little Mermaid. We ended up waiting with the rest of the stand by line, as it was raining & we figured it would be better to be under the roof than roaming the streets. The show was actually really special, in my opinion. Maybe I am bias because I love the Little Mermaid, I was a little girl when it came out, so it holds a special place in my heart. So it starts by having a dark-puppet style song with Sebastian and flounder of Under the Sea. Then it has a live Ariel in mermaid form singing Part of Your World and then signing her life away to a mechanical Ursula. Afterwards it went into a fast forward of the rest of the movie, showing clips to make the major points. Once Ursula had been beaten by Ericā€™s ship, it showed a live Ariel with legs & Eric finally kiss! I teared up. We were done by 5:15 and still had about 45 minutes before our reservations at Sci-Fi Drive inā€¦ So away we went to explore.

We found ourselves in a massive wave of people at Pixar Place. I was honestly afraid of being trampled, so we went to the side and waited it out & inched by until it started to down pour. We decided to stay away from Pixar Place for now. We took some alley way and found ourselves in front of Sci-Fi:

So we checked in at 5:30, not expecting to get seatedā€¦ we only waited 5 minutes before being placed in the center of the ā€œdrive inā€, in the third row of the car. Esme was a little intimidated at first because itā€™s dark and the movies are old horror shorts from the 50ā€™sā€¦ once she realized how silly the movies were, she was fine. It was very nicely themed. The food was fine. Our waitress was very helpful and got us in & out within 60 minutes, so we could make our reservation for the Frozen Sing Along.

We checked into the sing along and got front row seats, which was a benefit of the frozen package. A lot of the other patrons were being very rude to the cast members b/c they didnā€™t understand why we were getting special treatmentā€¦ the cast members explained that we have special tickets b/c we bought the packageā€¦ which didnā€™t make the situation better. It actually made me feel really bad that I was getting this privilege (I know, I shouldnā€™t b/c I paid for it, but I did). The show as about a half hour and it was really fun. First Anna comes out and talks to the audience, then she introduces two experts of Arendelle to tell the story of Anna/Elsa. These actors were so funny. The sing along parts were just parts of the movie played along with words, not actual live actors. In the middle, Kristoff comes on stage to explain his importance in the storyline. Then at the end, Elsa, Anna & Kristoff come on stage to sing Let It Go - as well as make it ā€œsnowā€. It was truly magical at the end.

By now, it was a little past 8:00 and it had finally stopped down pouring, it was just raining lightly. We went to the Frozen dessert party, which was moved to the Indiana Jones set b/c of the rain. It was a bunch of little treats, which were frozen themed & drinks/slushies.

Esme ate a snow cone, then wanted to leaveā€¦ so we did. The cast members were surprised we wanted to leave so soon, but honestly there was not much to do aside from eat & leave (as they didnā€™t have music or anything else going on). If the tables had chairs, I would have considered staying, but it was standing tables only.

Considering we still had an hour before the fireworks started, we decided to check out the streets:

At 9:00, we headed to the Frozen reserved fireworks section (which was in front of Min/Bills Diner) and claimed our spot. There was DJ on the main stage playing loud techno-mixed music. We danced for a while. Then Esme got noticeably tired. So I held her in my lap for a while, asked her if she wanted to leave several times, but she insisted on waiting for the fireworks. At 9:45 Anna & Kristoff took the stage to greet everyone. Then Olaf made an appearance. Then fireworks started. They were really amazing, however it was so much so close that it caused quite a smoke fest (which didnā€™t work well with my asthmatic child). So for the second half of the fireworks show, I was fanning the smoke away from her with a HS Map (ha ha ha). After the fireworks ended, Elsa joined the crew on stage & sang let it goā€¦ then made it snow (which was bubble/foam). The kids just loved it. It was truly incredible watching Esme just glare at these characters with such aweā€¦ totally worth the cost!

Once the show ended, we headed to the gift shop to browse, as Liners always say that itā€™s a mad house trying to leave after the fireworksā€¦ AND THEY ARE 100% RIGHT! It was madness. We looked around for about 30 minutes, then headed to the bus stop. At HS the bus stop is actually fairly close to the entrance, so it wasnā€™t so bad getting there, even though Popā€™s bus stop is the very last stop & the farthest to walk to (I find this is a common thing at the parks - value resorts have the longest walk to catch the bus).

We were able to catch the second bus that came around, as the line was so big when we got there. We packed like sardines in the bus and took off. Esme and I both stood, which was tricky. I am grateful that a kind southern man helped me out by holding onto the stroller, as that would have been tricky otherwise. The ride was a short 15 minutes.

Overall it was a really successful day. I am really happy that the touring plans worked, when I followed it. I do want to caution parents about the heavy traffic at Pixar Place, as well as after the parade/fireworks. The park is small enough that Esme could have walked, but I am glad I had the stroller b/c of the rain & being able to keep her dry. I did prepare her ahead of time with the knowledge that HS doesnā€™t have a bunch of rides that she can ride on, but she was still a little disappointed about it. I told myself a head of time that I was not going to get upset at her if she felt that way, so I just let it roll off my shoulders. Lastly, I think people should consider doing one of the themed restaurants thereā€¦ they were so fun!!! Especially for kids.

19 Likes

Day 7: Magic Kingdom / Tomorrowland - Part 1

Today is our last full day. We leave tomorrow afternoon :frowning: The Magical Express had delivered our departure times, however they were picking us up one day early according to the document, so I had to go to the front desk to correct it. Iā€™m glad I checked!!! Although we are doing online check in & checking our bags with the hotel, we still have to leave for the airport 3 hours earlyā€¦ which means a lot of waiting around, but I donā€™t want to think about that right now!

I made the decision to sleep an extra hour & take a taxi, instead of getting up early to make it on the bus & monorail to get to Ohana breakfast reservations at the Polynesian for 7:30. We got there on time & were seated by the window overlooking the water and Cinderellaā€™s castle. It was a great table!!! We were served family style and it was all normal breakfast foodsā€¦ what was special was the cocktail juice and the buns. They were very citrus-y so Esme didnā€™t like it, but I did, so I ate hers too!!! First Stitch came in, then Lilo, then Mickey & then Pluto. I was surprised that the photo pass people were walking around with Stitch to take photos. For some reason our photos didnā€™t show up yet. We then did a cool maraca parade around the room with the characters, it was really charming. We were there only 45 minutes before we were done eating and seeing the characters, which surprised me because most people say it takes the whole 90 minutes.

We took the monorail directly to Magic Kingdom. It only took 5 minutes, although we stopped at the Grand Floridian first. I really appreciated that they allow you to bring your strollers on without folding themā€¦ so much easier!!! It was already packed at MK, as people were getting ready to see the welcoming show. It was really fun this morning, as Lady Tremaine & the step sisters were there being snotty to the crowdā€¦ classic!

Once the rope dropped, we went to Tomorrowland to explore. It always surprises me how people are walking in a crowd (which means they know people are walking behind them) and they stop dead in their tracks, causing a pile upā€¦ then not saying excuse me or anything. Thatā€™s my one complaint.

We walked onto Buzz Lightyear Space Spine 2x, then waited 5 minutes for Astro Orbiter, then walked onto People Mover before the crowds started to pour in. It was 10:00 and we decided to walk over to Dumbo & Barnstormer, which we walked onto 2x each. I then let Esme run wild in the Casey Splash Station, as it was really hot & humid at this point:

We then rode around the park on the MK Train. This ride took us 30 minutes to get around the whole park. Once we got off the ride it was almost 11, so we headed back to Tomorrowland to watch Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (which we both really loved). It took almost 20 minutes to get into the laugh floor, then the show was about 15 minutes too. We had to rush over to Peter Pan to use our FP before lunch.

We checked into The Plaza for lunch at 12:00. We waited 15 minutes, which was okay because Dream with Mickey was playing out on the stage, so we watched that while we waited. I heard a lot of good things about this place from other Liners, so I was very surprised when I was not that thrilled with the decor, the service or the food. The waitress spilt drinks, was snappy at Esme, couldnā€™t hear what we were saying because it was so loud and almost didnā€™t allow Esme to order a milkshake (b/c she said itā€™d be too much for her!?!). However, I can say that the milkshakes were really good:

We were done by 1:00 and we were really tired & ready to swim at this pointā€¦ so we headed the 10000000 steps to the Pop bus stop. The bus came within 5 minutes. Then the bus ride was still only 20 minutes, it seems like they are pretty consistent with this time.

We decided to swim before taking a nap/quiet break. The pools here at Pop are nothing special, in the sense that there are no slides or special effects that the other resorts offer. They have 3 pools, one is square, one is flower shaped and one is bowling pin shaped. They all have music playing. The flower pool usually has cast members around doing activities with the kids, such as dancing or water games.

The other thing I should mention is the laundry rooms, which are located near the pools. They are fairly small, having 5 or so machines & dryers. They are coin operated or you can use a credit card. It was $2.50 to wash or dry. Every time I went by, it was packed with people. You need to use your magic band to get in, so itā€™s fairly secure.

We have rested everyday after lunch for at least 2 hours (not including travel time). This was very important for Esme & Iā€¦ as we both were HOT and miserable by lunch time. Plus the parks were so packed in the afternoon, that we would be standing in lines & that is not ideal for a child with ADHD. I 100% suggest that parents do this! I also suggest that parents consider touring in the mornings, in the same ā€œlandā€, as you get to do so much more when your not zig-zagging through the park.

Tonight for dinner we are heading back to MK. Because I didnā€™t use my other 2 fast passes this morning, because I didnā€™t need to, I was able to score a FP for Mine Train (Esmeā€™s favorite) and Pooh after dinner. I am hoping this gives us enough time to find a good spot to watch the Electrical Parade & Wishesā€¦

13 Likes

One liner said the waitress at SciFi wouldnā€™t allow her children to have the milkshakes they had paid for until theyā€™d finished their sodas - that would make me so mad! Hope Esme enjoyed it!

Have a fantastic last night - Iā€™m sad itā€™s nearly over!

I usually donā€™t read trip reports but yours caught my eye because my daughter will be 5 next month & weā€™re going in November. I have LOVED reading about your trip! Weā€™re staying at POP too so itā€™s been great finding out about the travel times.

1 Like

Good call on the yoga pants

1 Like

Love the picture of Esme in the water, pure joy. Your trip has been so wonderful, full of LOVE and magic. I feel privileged to follow along.

As to the crowd thing, yeah itā€™s everywhere, but the worst is Times Square. I have gotten to the point where I do not mind if I ā€œrunā€ into someone who does it. I know shame on me, but hey if you stop short it can happen.

I love your relaxed touring. Sorry to hear about the Plaza, and as to the milkshakes, what should the waitress care, she is not paying for it, and if itā€™s so much they should also hand out a paper cup and straw for you to take it away. Itā€™s part of the vacation experience and splurging while away.

As to the Tragical Express, yes you really do need those 3 hours, you may have time to spare at the airport, but the security line is HUGE. And there are other resorts involved as well.

Cannot wait until I hear about your night.

2 Likes

The wait in the milkshakes would annoy me too.

1 Like

I have loved reading your trip report. You make table service sound so appealing with kids instead of waiting in line for counter service. I may need to add more to my fall trip.
Your afternoon breaks also make me think the ones I have planned are too short. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with me. I am learning so much even after 3 trips with little kids.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe you leave tomorrow already, seems like you just got there! Looks like it has been a great trip. Sorry you didnā€™t enjoy the Plaza, I have yet to eat there so no comparison. Shame on the waitress with her attitude about the milkshake, when she pays for it, she can decide who needs one and who doesnā€™t!! Love the picture of Esme in the water, you captured a perfect expression. I think the afternoon breaks are really important, especially in the heat of the summer. My whole family feels much better after a mid-day break. When we donā€™t take one and it is hot (like it was in April), we get grumpy. I always thought I would love WS in Epcot no matter the time of day, but realized I pretty much detest it at 3pm when it is super hot and humid :smile:. Looking forward to hearing about your evening. Also, make sure before leaving tomorrow that you have used all of your food and snack credits. Otherwise plan on cashing those credits in for things you can take home (at least the snacks). Sleep well tonight!

3 Likes

Absolutely love your trip report!!! Canā€™t wait to hear about your last night!

And this reminds me I really need to come back and write my trip report soon!!

1 Like