Link J18

I’m definitely Team Dog. IIRC, the character’s name was originally Dippy Dawg before it was changed to Goofy. So, unless there was a species change along with the name change, Goofy is a dog.

Then how come Pluto is a pet but Goofy is autonomous??

Ask Walt. All dogs are created equal, but some are more equal than others, I guess.

3 Likes

Goofy goes all the way back to the earliest days of Mickey and friends; he appeared in the daily comics before transitioning to the animated shorts. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Horace, and Clarabelle were the 5 primary characters. As @brklinck mentioned, his name was originally “Dippy Dawg”. The animators internally referred to him as “the goof” ( at the time, a less-than-nice term for someone who didn’t seem to be very smart - not that “Dippy” was much better). As times changed, the name morphed into the “Goofy” that we now all know and love.

Pluto was originally a minor character that showed up as Mickey’s hunting dog in a few of the animated shorts. The animators really liked him as there was a lot more they could do with him as a dog, so he always remained a “pet” to Mickey’s anthropomorphized mouse. And he became a beloved character in his own right. To this day, some of his sequences are considered to be the best “visual gag” animation ever created by the studio.

6 Likes

And the “emotional support” nonsense gets even crazier:

Read the comments - they are hysterical!

1 Like

I’m so sad. I can’t find the comments to get my daily laugh.

To the left of the picture of the Spirit plane there should be a ‘Comment’ link.

1 Like

Jean-Luc PetardSlate Plus Member
1 hour ago

Emotional support hamsters are a thing? I thought someone was making that up when I read it on a comment thread the other day.

FlagShare
2Huginn and MuninnRookeLikeReply

Livonian
1 hour ago

@Jean-Luc Petard

Yes. They wear little green vests with pockets, and a sign “I’m working. Please don’t pet.”

Does anyone believe this emotional support thing is going a little too far? I am all for service animals but there has to be some limits and rules to support the claim. What about the people with allergies.