Lines chat vs TP forum

I miss my AmigaOS. And anyone who is anyone still programs using line numbers. :wink:

10 print “Lol!”
20 goto 10

By which I mean, I wonder if the regular banter between me, @ryan1 and @Randall1028 (for example) might come across as cliquey.

I know I’m in the clique of people who end up with a “kick me” sign on my back while walking through the hallways.

1 Like

I think it is somewhat cliquey, but it’s also a lot of fun. Those are usually the posts I keep returning to to see what else has been said.

I don’t find it cliquey at all. I joined here just a few months ago and always felt welcome. We always seem to answer anyone’s post and welcome newcomers. Thank you!

2 Likes

Is there a way to have 2 different names (identities) for a TP account (one for Forum and one for Chat)? I almost always use Forum while DH uses Chat. We have 2 very different personalities…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No, you’d need 2 accounts.

2 Likes

This is an excellent question. The forums are an intimidating place. What creates community and keeps people coming back, can also create a sense of being on the outside for others. Just as many of you are saying you hate scrolling through chat, on forum you also have to scroll through banter that you do not always feel a part of. (I should note, I think this is just fine. How else would you get threads like the English breakfast one?)

I personally love DLR chat, the volume is far less and the sense of community is high. But that sense of community also made it intimidating for a while. Their willingness to answer the same questions over and over for all new comers made that outside feeling disappear.

I think the worry about being “on the outside” is just part of human nature.

Chat is just easier for lurkers, and for me when I was new, scanning chat was a way to learn the inside tricks.

6 Likes

I don’t know about cliquey, but then again I was right alongside @ryan1 with the kick me sign on my back. I will say that it’s entertaining, and I look forward to reading all the fun posts everyday. I’ve also learned a lot, and after being on here for a couple months (I never even looked at the chat, that’s too many platforms to keep up with), I very much feel part of the community and I’ve always felt very welcome here. So thanks guys, you are all so awesome!

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying about the banter. I’m not always into that stuff but I just skip it. There’s a lot of nonsense and completely off topic stuff on chat too.

3 Likes

I’ve found that the off-topic banter helps the forum feel more like a community. There are a few Liners on here that I feel like I “know” personally, even though we’ve never met. Of course, the truth is I don’t really know them, it just feels like it since we share a lot in common.

5 Likes

Agreed. For example, I know that you, personally, wrote a good portion of the New Testament. Clearly, since your ID says you are the prophet Paul! (Well, then again, it doesn’t say you are an apostle. Now I’m questioning everything. I bet you weren’t even born in the first century!)

Glad you never find any of that kind of thing HERE.

3 Likes

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. No Paul. Clearly someone was not paying attention in Sunday School…

1 Like

Even I know he’s referring to St Paul and his endless letters to the Corinthians and others.

3 Likes

Spoken with as much attitude as I can muster, imagining a waving finger while I say it: “Oh no you didn’t!”

Ahem.

They eventually ended…shortly before his life did.

The point is, you think you know someone. But clearly now I’m doubting myself.

1 Like

You’re called Ryan. Not Thomas.

2 Likes

How can you be sure? I mean, you only know me via this forum.

(Who’s the Thomas now?)

I’ve had you followed by a private detective.

Yes, he was a bit of a drone. “Dear Cornithians - How are you? I’m doing well. Getting very excited about my next trip Disney World, even though the planning has been driving me crazy! At any rate, I’m still upset about how I was treated by you during my last visit…”

Thomas…

ETA: @NotProfMatt beat me to the Thomas reference. Rats.

2 Likes

I’ve done that joke already. Get your own joke.