Line Etiquette

her birthday was a week ago, I just haven’t updated her age in my brain yet, I guess :face_exhaling:

Don’t feel bad. I’ve been thinking that my two oldest were 30 and 26, and they are really about to turn 32 and 28 this year. I’m missing a year somewhere.

1 Like

missing two years perhaps? Gee I think most of us feel that way…

5 Likes

Yep. Sounds about right.

A few weeks ago we were rope-dropping ROTR and the CMs created a cluster of a situation by trying to force everyone OUT of the line we had formed outside the queue entrance and then allowing us into the outdoor queue maybe 10 minutes later. After all the shuffling into place we ended up behind a young woman and after maybe 10 minutes more, here came her 5 adult family members cutting into line behind her. One of them was in a wheelchair and when I did express my displeasure with them I was told they couldn’t keep up with the first family member in the crowd because of the wheelchair. That bugged me, although I don’t know the ins and outs of dealing with a wheelchair so I shut up. In the end (after a long wait) they bailed on the line only a few minutes before the ride started anyway. But I do get and have no problem with kids needing a bathroom stop and joining the family later.

I did this to myself! I was having a conversation with my husband and I said something about turning 35 at my next birthday and my husband said “You’re turning 36” I started to argue with him that I would have remembered my 35th birthday, but then he did the math, and somehow I had missed that I had been 35 for 11 months - I blame it on my extremely stressful job that I had back then. Sometimes I still laugh/cringe when I think about it.

8 Likes

I actually added a year to my age when I was 38. I somehow became convinced that I was turning 40 on my next birthday. I thought it for months!

5 Likes

I’m glad to know I’m not alone! I guess neither one of us is worried about aging, if we were, we’d keep better track of it :smile:

3 Likes

I had major emergency surgery in July, and I feel like I lost a lot of memories leading up to it. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. :joy_cat:

3 Likes

Shame on the first family member is what I say to that! Stay together or wait for your party at the end of the line and join when they are all there. Again, different when 1 person wants to catch up to the group but crappy when they send 1 person to race into line and have several people cut in to join.

9 Likes

I did this as well after my 30th. When I turned 20 I vowed to skip all the big ones, didn’t want to deal with the stress and anxiety of turning the big x-0. Well I botched the very first year. I went 29, 29 to 32 :flushed: I called to wish my sister Happy Birthday (we are 10.5 months apart so for that time between we are twinsies, lol) I managed to confuse her too. We did the math but were still questioning it. For years I was off track, till about 38! Well I turned the big 4-0. Not going through that mess again.

2 Likes

I went into my 30th year with the mindset that my 30s had to be better than my 20s, so I celebrated all year. Turned out that they were much better!

Now I’m just thankful for each birthday…

5 Likes

It was a great decade for me too! I think the hype everyone places over those milestone bdays is crap. I feel exactly 1 day older each day.

3 Likes

This is really annoying. They did this to us too. We tried to do ROTR at close on our second to last day. It was closed but a nice queue had formed just before the official entrance. They were really clear that it wasn’t a line and if the ride opened and a random person not in our line walked up, they’d be let it. It never opened.
On our last day we tried again at close with the ride down. Although I just sat down on the ground in front of the rope. They did the same thing but since we were right in front of the rope I didn’t worry. That last day it did open.

In hindsight, something funny from the second to last day. DD fell asleep sitting on the curb in the fake queue with her head on her knees. It was a little cold and rainy. She fell hard asleep. When we woke her up and started walking she asked, “How did we get back to Disney?” We thought we were misunderstanding her words. No, she’d dreamt that she was warm in bed. She was quite annoyed at us because now she was cold at Disney. She had a poncho so wasn’t wet.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the great feedback! If we do this it will be for emergencies only and we’ll ask the people behind us for good measure.

7 Likes

WDW was really nice to me at AstroOrbiters. We were halfway through the line and I really really needed to use the restroom. I back-tracked through the line. There was no resistance to my going backward. Then I got to the entrance and I asked the CM there if it would be possible for me to join my family when I got back and if not that was OK. It might have helped that I was doing That Walk. They let me come in through the exit and wait for them to appear. It might have helped that it was AstroOrbiters and not ROTR.

3 Likes

I hear you! One time, an adult woman and her teenager were busy working their way up past lots of people on line for KRR. When she got to me and asked to get by, I politely asked her where she’s going. Cuz hey, she could be just cutting everyone with everyone assuming she’s joining someone but actually not. Who knows?! She gave me the dirtiest look before shoving past me and stopping a few people ahead. She then shot me death looks for the rest of the wait. I think I asked a perfectly reasonable question. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

It was perfectly reasonable question. She should have answered. Back in 2006 I adopted a put the arms up on rails approach to the tour groups and I would have totally used it here! You can be polite by passing by or I can restrict you and you have to assault me to get by and then I will have you removed from the parks by pressing charges. Other person’s call but I totally think if we let this crap go, more will do it. If we stand against it, word WILL get out (may take a few line patriots to set the bar, lol :raising_hand_woman:). I’m just so tired of rude people from the last two years that I’m totally fine with the " WTF, you wanna dance buddy?" mentality. I really want to trip people that are entitled morons, just a small face plant, no major surgery but definately a trip to first aide.

7 Likes

Maybe we need a Liner T-shirt with this on the back:
“You want to get ahead of me in line? See Answer here” and then the link to this thread

3 Likes

No No no the back of the shirt always says, “ If you can smell me you’re too close!”

5 Likes