Line Etiquette

And did you have proper line etiquette??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Just kidding. Hope you’re having fun @ehsanchez :partying_face:)

4 Likes

This is sooo off topic but wouldn’t it be awesome if TP had a liner calander where one could add their names to the dates they will be in Disney! :grin:

9 Likes

Not gonna lie, I had to draw a diagram.

I understand your point but disagree. I also waited in the same 60 minute line but don’t get to ride twice. I didn’t use ride swap when my kids were little because I disagree with it. I’m not mad that people do, it’s allowed so it is what it is. But I personally think it’s not fair. Not a hill I’m going to die on at all, I just don’t like rider swap.

What about on flight of passage where there isn’t a single rider line to fill in? There isn’t unused capacity?

2 Likes

Yes! And a real-time map with our avatars on it based on cell location (which could be toggled on/off for privacy). If they have it turned on, it can be assumed they don’t mind someone saying hi. Would be nice to know “Oh hey, Liner X is over in Japan. I’m walking through Morocco, maybe I’ll try to spot them and say hi”. Might be a good middle ground between what can be gathered from the trip reports (if posting is current enough or precise itinerary has been given) and actually reaching out and sending a PM (which could be felt as a bit too forward for some).

6 Likes

In the pre-COVID times, that was almost always an issue on DCL. There were times I got in line for one character (say, Mickey), but because they were on a time schedule and one parent was holding a place in line for 5 kids and 10 cousins all running pell mell through the atrium until said parent was next in line when they all flocked - and then of course there had to be individual pics, and any number of group pics, it was suddenly going to be Pluto or Goofy or Donald. I generally didn’t mind, but I felt bad for people in line behind me who were expecting Mickey.

Once, when it was the last M&G and it happened, one of the handlers came up to me and the couple of people behind me and whispered for us to follow them and took us around the corner and just inside a “Crew Only” door so we got a private M&G with Mickey, who was going to have to leave after the massive family.

They started really trying to put the kibosh on that pre-COVID, and if character greetings ever go back to how they were I hope they keep it up.

(I think the worst offenders happened during the Princess gathering in the atrium and it led to them making that a booked event (ditto the Frozen M&G). So that helped - you reserved your space and your party had to be together to enter the line at that time.)

6 Likes

Yes! Here! No active report. Taking notes and photos to post later. Remember, I decided to endure the ancient phone. It is crying with all the use I’ve demanded of it. :sweat_smile: Having a great time, kid free. I think I’ve submitted three waits this whole trip. :-1: I forget to turn them off before I get on the ride - or try and then 20 minutes later realize it did not submit. Interestingly enough RNR was the only ride we needed rider-swap in 2019.

Line cutting when people walk in with very small kids doesn’t really bother me, but if it was a regular thing, I’d get annoyed.

But really, what is LL but a paid chance to cut in line? From that perspective LLs really suck.

4 Likes

Me neither, never been in that position but I had littles and I’ve seen the melt downs at Disney and have nothing but sympathy. The lines have to be tough on someone who has a 5-10 min attention span.

2 Likes

My kids (3 and 5) and I were in line one year to meet Ralph and Vanellope when suddenly the single person ahead of us was joined by about eight other people. Suddenly a single person’s photo was “now this family! Now this family! Now the kids and grandma! Now just the kids!” It was incredibly frustrating. So don’t do that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for dropping in to say hello! Glad you’re having a great time!

1 Like

Ahh, found a moral to a story (not my story but a moral nonetheless).
To @TarzansMama it seems that most of us are generally ok with a mama taking a kid out of line to burn off the angst. But if a whole group joins in it generally pisses everyone off. My best advice still applies. Start the line with your group. When you see toddler getting antsy, ask the people behind if they mind if you pop out for a minute to avoid total melt down (use the word melt down, it will have them agreeing before you know it). Just make sure you pop back in before you have to push your way around people in the line. I generally hope that people at WDW understand the situation. Plan your rides carefully. Your first 2 - 3 RD rides shouldn’t be an issue. I see the fussiness happening after that. I’m always the one that will take one for the team and would be perfectly happy skipping a ride if needed to keep a little one happy. Just be that. Anecdotally, I’ve watched other peoples kids in line before and I’ve also included a few in our hangman game with our teens. I always try to have a plan of occupation for the ones that can’t be content to just stand there and wait.

3 Likes

Agree about rider swap. With six kids and a mess of trips to WDW we never used it. The whole older kid getting more rides thing seemed so extra.

I understand it both ways. If they would just let the party split in two, no extra rides per person it would probably make more ok with it.
But we are going with DH, DD myself and a toddler. I dont want anyone going by themselves… but we wont abuse the system. Only use when the ride is a must do for everyone.

3 Likes

I can’t get quite to work right in my phone, but this is a good point. I can count maybe two rides in all of WDW that I’d want to go on badly enough to go after DH and kids and he could maybe pick two as well. Otherwise we wouldn’t care about missing rides. Mostly one went on with kids who could and the other took kid(s) who could not to a store or for a snack, etc.

1 Like

Well said! Years ago my young daughter wanted a picture with the beast after dinner. We waited in line for 20 minutes. The two people in front of us had the picture taken and it was our turn, nope, here comes the rest of the family for another 20 photos, and guess what, now the Beast is taking a break. My daughter never got her photo. That one stung, but sometimes we just get unlucky.

Because the majority of people there have kids, I think it is inappropriate. If all the kids got out of line with a parent and then jumped back in it would be a mess. Also, what about the people that are just one parent and one child? They have no option to leave their place and come back to it.

Practice waiting in lines with your child and bring stuff to amuse them (and snacks to feed them). Pick attractions with shorter wait times, which won’t be too hard because of height restrictions.

I was not willing to take my kids to WDW until I felt they could handle a line without annoying me, DH, or others. This varies by age of each individual.

Thank you for asking. I imagine you to be a pleasant and considerate line companion.

6 Likes

I don’t mind the situation OP presented much. One line etiquette that I don’t appreciate is when large groups enter the line disjointed and then excuse their way to the person in their group who is the further ahead in line.

For example a large group of like 10 are disjointed in front of the ride entrance, several people putting away strollers, some people quick finishing their snack/drink that they can’t bring in, etc. 1 or 2 of them enters the line right away. Then my group enters right behind those 1 or 2 people. Then a couple minutes later the rest of their group sneaks up to join the 1 or 2 people that got in line ahead of me.

I have been with a large group and it is a pain to get everyone in line together without strangers in between, but I feel the group should move back to its last person in line, not move up to the first person in line. However, I do think it depends on the percentage of the people “cutting.” If one person cuts up to their group, I have no problem, but if 50% or more of the group cuts, then I feel its disrespectful.

6 Likes

I love this story so much, you had me laughing out loud at work! I remember those tour groups, it’s been years since I last saw them. Boy are they loud! I didn’t have any run-ins with them though. Good for you for holding firm and inspiring your other linesmen! Such a great tactic!!

1 Like

Coupled with the heat, I vowed never to go back in July bc of them. Don’t know if that’s still a thing but I think it corresponds to South American winter break for schools.

This reminds me of the time me and DD7 roped dropped SDMT. As we waited in a huge long line for the attraction to open, all of the sudden she needed to use the restroom (despite me asking her 100 times and stopping at the bathroom before entering the park). The two ladies behind us so graciously held our place in line while I ran her to the restroom. Disney magic!

For me, stepping out with a kid to use the bathroom is ok (or just the adult), but large parties joining is rude and inconsiderate. me and DH often split up so one of us can park the stroller while the other takes DD7 to the line.

and I just realized DD7 is now DD8!! ha!

6 Likes

Sneaks up on you, doesn’t it?

1 Like