Leading Reservations for dining?

The question is whether it updates which pool you are in behind the scenes (on-site, off-site, AP), and what happens if it tries to move you into a pool that no longer has any availability at that park.

If not, it could be a backdoor way of getting around the on-site/off-site split.

Maybe @Tall_Paul1 will pop in at some point and test it for us. :joy:

For now, I undid and redid everything, park passes first, then leading reservation, then ADR and will hope for the best!

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming by your next comment that you rebooked tonight. Based on your observations, I think that was the right call.

1 Like

I guess weā€™ll find out! :joy: :test_tube:

1 Like

I see. So Iā€™m safe since mine have been sitting that way for days but potentially overnight it could bump you out.
Yā€™all are just trying to determine if you book a hotel room to get in the park reservation for on site pool and then cancel the room do you keep your reservation if the off site pool is full?

Not with that objective, but it comes into play indirectly. Right now, both the on-site and off-site pools have availability for all of my park days. If I booked park passes as on-site while the leading reservation was in place, and off-site becomes unavailable before I cancel the leading reservation, then it brings up the concern that I would lose my park pass by no longer being on-site. I have my fingers crossed that all our park passes are now booked as off-site so that wonā€™t be an issue after I cancel the leading reservation. But a reason definitely not to dally in holding on to the leading reservation once all ADRs are in the normal 60 day booking window.

For anyone gathering data, even through it made me book park passes for the 3 on the leading reservation separately than the 4 that were not on my first go, after I booked them, I did not see them split apart into groups like she is seeing. (And it wasnā€™t until afterwards that it occurred to me why it was making me split them.) Mine were all in one group of 7 for all 10 days. So right now it looks just like it did before I rebooked them. I have no idea if that is significant or not!

2 Likes

Got it. Since both our leading and our real reservation are onsite I would guess this would not affect us. But in your case makes sense to be cautious.

Also, is it wrong that as I wake up naturally (7-8am my time) and first thing I do is make dining reservations from bed on my phone that I get a little excited watching the plans fill in on MDE?
Edit: This is workingā€¦so no need to get up at 4:30am! so far at least and I got BOG lunch right at opening.

3 Likes

That is soooo nice, isnā€™t it? And I kind of like booking one day at a time. A great way to start each day!!

2 Likes

'tis. Watching the plans fill in is like completing a puzzle. It starts looking prettier each day! ha ha

1 Like

I called and asked about the Polar Patios at Blizzard Beach and they said they are on the same 60+10 booking schedule as Dining. Does this mean I can use my Leading reservation to book at 70 days out or is it possible theyā€™d cancel that when I cancelled the leading reservation and I should wait till Iā€™ve cancelled my leading reservation to book it? Since my real reservation is on-site can I cancel earlier than @Jeff_AZā€™s excel sheet says at the 60 day mark of my last reservation if so? Or do I use the date for 60 days out from my real reservation checkin as my cancel date (in my case 58 days out since I have a 12 night stay booked).

Edit: I am not sure if Polar Patios will be booking out faster since itā€™s covid and maybe people want more space.

1 Like

Depending on how much you value one hour on hold, it could be worth a try? :joy:

I think it would work. But it will probably feel a little weirder using the trick on a person rather than software.

1 Like

I cannot remember how long I was on hold for they PLAY phone line but I donā€™t think it was as awful as the dining line. I did it a couple of weeks ago. Then when I started doing the leading res for dining I thought :thinking:

Edit since Iā€™d be dealing with a person I think this will make me feel weird so Iā€™ll wait till I can cancel the leading res. Fingers crossed the polar patios donā€™t go as fast as dining.

1 Like

Just want to say thanks for starting this thread! I thought I was good to go since most of my reservations are the same I booked for my cancelled 2020 trip, and my regular window worked fine back then. But now Iā€™m realizing there are a few reservations I probably wouldnā€™t have gotten, at least not for the ideal times, if I have waited! Covid capacity limits must make a big difference. And the shorter window (was 180-days).

3 Likes

I think thatā€™s the hardest bit. Last trip I felt like something reasonably close to what I wanted was bound to become available eventually. This timeframe feels so much tighter!

4 Likes

I think all of those things, plus people looking for more things to ā€œdoā€ with a lot of attractions and shows being closed, shorter hours, and the fact that QS seems to be a bit of a fiasco with really long waits. Iā€™m really hoping that they will start to open some more things soon, even if itā€™s slowly or just a couple of things here and there.

1 Like

Glad I (hopefully) got it all squared away yesterday. There are now 3ā€¦nope, make it 4 daysā€¦in June showing as unavailable for HS for both hotel and ticketed guests (including one of our HS days).

We are hoping to change our last park day from HS to EP if we get a BG on one of the earlier two HS days we have booked. EP seems to be the easiest to get park, but Iā€™m still concerned about it being a two step drop/book situation instead of a single change situation. If one calls in, can they do it by phone as a one step? Iā€™m thinking that might be worth a phone call rather than risk not having a park booked our last day at all?

1 Like

A 2.5 hour phone call?
Edit: Maybe that line is shorter or when you push the options for youre in the theme park now you get bumped up

1 Like

Maybe while sitting at the pool on the morning of 6/4? :joy:

2 Likes

Keep an eye on Epcot pass availability leading up to then. If it stays open most days (including now during spring break) youā€™ll probably be ok.

It was full this month a lot. two weeks in advance.

1 Like

Yep, as of today the ONLY park passes available to any park in the next 18 days are EP on 3/27 and 4/4.