Knott's = 1 day or 2?

So… Looks like DW & I are definitely planning our Disneyland Trip for the first week December 2021. (A historically good time for “lower” CLs between holidays) I was pretty sure that was going to be the case for about the last month. However, what confirmed it was I’ve found really good deals on Harbor Blvd. hotels by booking directly with them right now. (savings of $700 - $900 atm)

So… I’m thinking of staying an extra day or two in Anaheim and adding Knott’s. Is it a two day park or can you do most of what you want in a single day? Are there Christmas events worth an extra day? Has anyone stayed at their hotels? (is it worth packing up our stuff and switching hotels)

1 Like

I would say a one day.

I grew up going and just took DH and DS12 this last Fall for the first time. My DS only went on two rides and my husband none at all, but hat speaks more to their inability to wait in any line vs lack of options.

Knott’s is much more “thrill” based than Disney, so if that’s your jam you might find more to do there. My DH did enjoy walking around and checking out all that Ghost Town had to offer show/store/exhibit wise. All in all we probably spent 5 hours doing everything, then we went back and finished the night at California Adventure.

As for the hotels, personally I would stay on Harbor Blvd. I’m sure a lot has changed in the 20ish years since I lived down the street from Knott’s, but Knott’s bubble is much different than Disney’s bubble. It’s only 20 minutes away and we Ubered there and back. That being said, Beach Blvd used to have a lot of touristy things to do like Medieval Times and Ripley’s Believe It or Not museum, it might fill in the extra time if you do leave Knott’s early. Your hotel should have all the brochures.

3 Likes

I worked for Six Flags for a number of years, so I’m down with “amusement” parks as much as I am “theme” parks like Disney and Universal.

It does look like a one & done place, especially if I go on a weekday or get their Express Pass. Ideally, I’d want to hit up the “marquee” attractions and eat a couple Bosenberry things. When I travel to place like Six Flags I tend to go for 2 days, but that’s just because I drive and want to make it “worth the trip”. In this case, I’m already gonna be there, so it’s a bonus activity.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you’ve officially rescheduled! Let the (new) countdown begin!

3 Likes

1 day is plenty for Knott’s. We went years ago, and just drove over there from our DL area hotel. We also had the express/front of the line pass, and quite enjoyed that.

3 Likes

It’s a fun park, but I agree it’s one day. Enough of the rides are generic, fair-type attractions that you could skip if you run out of time. There are some really cool coasters, some of which have been built since the last time I went.

1 Like

I do recommend the Express pass. If I remember correctly, most if not all of the big ticket attractions are covered. Boysenberry is a must, as is any of the numerous BBQ spots in the park.

Like @Jeff_AZ said, there are some really cool coasters, none of which I went on past 1996.

As for Holiday stuffs, anything goes post Covid so /shrug. They USED to have a super cute open market/holiday boutique over by Ghost Town that wasn’t actually in the park. Homemade crafts and treats, very festive. My memory was tainted by my not so much as a parking ticket mother actually sneaking into the park that same day…but I digress.

If you are looking for the holiday feel, I’d see if the Mission Inn is still doing their holiday light festival. That would make an amazing stop going to/from home if you’re driving that way (It’s in Downtown Riverside off of the 91) It’s a spectacular hotel in and of itself, but their lights are breathtaking.

1 Like

I’m from Memphis, TN - the home of the Annual World Championship BBQ contest each May. I’m pretty picky about my BBQ! :grin::sunglasses:

This is Dec. 2021 - so hoping life will be back to pre-COVID times. Otherwise I won’t even go. I haven’t gone to WDW, even though I can. This isn’t b/c I’m worried about COVID, but I don’t like the “limited” experience they’re offering. I’m not going to CA / DLR at all if all the ride preshows / attractions / performances aren’t at 100%

I’ll be flying in / out of SNA and not really leaving that Bubble. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Ah! That’s us too, except we rebooked WDW. By then things “should” be back to as normal as acceptable post pandemic.

If you’re flying in I would absolutely just do one day at Knott’s and stay in the DL bubble on Harbor. I cannot recommend Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance enough. Easy walking distance, clean affordable rooms. Wannabe Starbucks in the lobby. Super nice, knowledgeable staff. Don’t tell your friends though…it’s my best kept secret.

2 Likes

I have not been since I was 5 or 6 and only have a vague recollection, but everything I have heard says one day for Knott’s. I was looking into adding a day to one of my trips and saw that I could take ART there and back and it was 20-30 minutes each way.

1 Like