Kidani or Jambo? Which do you prefer and why?

Looking for a recent recommendation between these two resorts. We will be renting a DVC studio, savana facing. I know we want to face the Sunset Savanna because I’ve heard it has the best animals. Travelling with kids and will make use of the pool. Also, we do not plan on utilizing the restaurants at the resort, aside from Sanaa which we have planned for a different part of our trip. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m interested to see what folks have to say.

I’ve stayed at Jambo 4 times and LOVE it there. I’ve stayed in all views - standard, pool, savanna and they’re all enjoyable.

I’m about to stay at Kidani. I’m excited for our savanna view room, but I’m a little nervous if I’m going to LOVE Kidani in the same way as I love Jambo. The energy in that soaring lobby is just fantastic and the pool and the Mara are awesome. But we are a family of 4 with two teenagers so that extra bath in the 1BR at Kidani is important to us now.

Either way, though, I don’t think one can go wrong at AKL

1 Like

I stayed at both in the same week in December and I much preferred Jambo. That lobby is just amazing to walk through every day. The multiple overlooks, bigger store, multitude of restaurants, and I really liked their large pool.

Eta: also those Kidani hallways are loooooooooooooooooooong.

1 Like

I’m curious to see the answers also! We are staying at AKL for the first time in August, and I tried to read a lot to decide Jambo vs Kidani. I was leaning towards Jambo, and then we lucked into a dedicated reservation for our dates in a value studio (which are only in Jambo), so that sealed the decision. I liked the lobby, the pool, and the quick service option. We will be visiting Kidani though since we plan to eat at Sanaa.

1 Like

I prefer Jambo, though take my opinion with a grain of salt since I haven’t stayed at Kidani. I love Sanaa, so Kidani gets points for that. But it is too big and sprawling. And Jambo’s lobby is magnificent, whereas Kidani’s is just … nice. Nowhere near the scope and scale.

The compactness of Jambo is also helpful for using the pool and restaurants.

1 Like

This is a huge part of it for me, and why I’m nervous about Kidani.

It’s similar, in a way, to the feeling I get when I walk into Riviera. It’s kind of underwhelming. Low ceiling, minimal view out smaller window (than Jambo). No shops or restaurants immediately off the lobby. I have always wondered why they did that.

But then people say how much they like Kidani precisely BECAUSE it is lacking that hustle/bustle energy in the lobby

I guess I’ll share my thoughts in a few weeks!

1 Like

My Jambo stay was in a value studio and it was awesome. Super quick walk to the bus stop, pool, and restaurants.

1 Like

I’ll counter Jeff! I prefer Kidani. Yes, the lobby is fabulous at Jambo, but there are less floors at Kidani, and it’s more quaint and small. I prefer Sanaa to Boma. You can walk to Jambo house (or there is a bus) but for staying I prefer Kidani. However, I’ve never stayed in Jambo…just visited.

2 Likes

There is a small shop on the far right side of the lobby when you walk in. It is quite small and also serves as a mug refill station so it can be really busy in there.

1 Like

I have stayed at both, multiple times. With what you have shared, I think Kidani is a better match.

Kidani’s pool is themed. Jambo is a big, plain pool. Jambo’s savannah view rooms are on the 5th floor. At Kidani you can get a lower floor.

Finally, the main draw at Jambo (other than the lobby and you can visit that) are the restaurants. Since Sanaa is the only one you are interested in, Kidani wins there too.

2 Likes

Yes - it’s ridiculously tiny.

2 Likes

I’m leaning towards Kidani too. Did you face Sunset savanna? Recommendation on a room or floor?

1 Like

Room, floor or building recommendation?

1 Like

How old are your kids? If they’d enjoy a really great splash pad area, Kidani has that going for it. Also, Kidani’s pool has regular slide plus a baby slide for those kids who aren’t as confident on the big slide. When we were there DD4 relished going down the big one, and the small one was a good fit for DS6. I am pretty sure that Jambo only has the big slide. I do like the lobby at Jambo more, but that doesn’t hold as much weight for me personally.

When are you going? This probably won’t affect you, but the Kidani slide is closed through April, I think.

1 Like

Jan 2023 - kids are 7 and 10. I agree with you about the pools. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Ah this is a great point. If you have savannah view, Kidani is better for DVC. When I was at Jambo we had a pool view, so floor didn’t really matter.

I faced Pembe savanna. They didn’t have an official two bedroom savanna view as I literally switched hotels the night before from a one bedroom but I got super lucky because for the price of standard we got to watch zebras chase deer in the mornings and see river hogs and ostriches and because we were on that back side it was sooooo peaceful and quiet.

1 Like

I’m with @PrincipalTinker. I like being on a lower floor. Feels closer to the animals. If you’re staying DVC, the Jambo rooms are quite high. My personal preference for rooms would be 2nd floor (same level as the lobby) and fairly close to the lobby. This will minimize the effects of the long hallways.

Honestly, I would stay at either in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Also, we’re pretty able bodied and while the hall was long and we were at the end of it it took 2-3 min to get to the lobby tops. It’s nothing compared to how much you’re gonna walk in the parks and it really didn’t bother me because it provided for peace and quiet. But it was noticeably long.