Keeping Disney Trips Secret from friends and extended family

Seriously? :astonished:

Why do people think they get to have an opinion on other people’s vacations and hobbies?

1 Like

My best friend is a person who is always why would you go here why would you watch that why would you eat that. I told him we are going to Disney and he was you need to go here you need to go see this you need to eat here. If I told him before I joined TP I would not have needed to join. lol But I’m glad I did I know more about Disney then he does now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Now when he says we should go here or there I tell him all ready booked or already on my TP.

3 Likes

We had that issue recently. My daughter is graduating from HS in June and she wanted to celebrate at disney with her family. We booked the trip and are completely out of our minds excited (26 DAYS!). I have had several people make negative comments, with one family member actually refer to this choice of hers as “juvenile”. Juvenile because she chose to go to Disney with her family instead of going to a Senior Week trip at the beach instead (which is not really her thing for anyone who knows what Senior Week at the beach actually entails…). I have just started keeping this to myself unless I am talking to “Disney-friendly” friends or family. I feel what you are saying, and I am so happy that our family of 4 loves Disney so much and at the end of the day, we will always have this trip memory. Enjoy your trip and the memories you make with your kids!

4 Likes

I think it’s incredibly sweet your DS wants her graduation trip to be to Disney. It’s wonderful to have a teenager who is connected with family and wants to spend time with them. That doesn’t happen all the time.

4 Likes

Thanks for the your kind words. It’s fantastic that your daughter has chosen to vacation with her family.

As for some of my family and friends who make negative comments, it really doesn’t bother me, but I figured I wasn’t the only one facing “Disney Discrimination” :wink:

1 Like

“Disney Discrimination”…I love it! Stealing that!

3 Likes

TOTALLY!!! I took my two kids three years ago and managed to keep the trip a secret from them and everyone else. I made the mistake of opening my big mouth to a neighbor a week before we were leaving and lo and behold she decided to book a last minute trip with her kids. I was so mad that I said anything. I ended up not running into her at all but it was stressful and annoying.

This time around I learned my lesson. We are going for Thanksgiving week 2018. It happens to coincide with the one year anniversary of my dad’s passing :frowning: I wanted to plan something special for us to do as a family that would be fun for us during such a sad time. I know if I mention anything about to anyone, they will try and come along. I just want this to be a trip for the four of us to enjoy together, no other relatives, no pressure at all to coordinate with anyone. It’s tricky because I actually have cousins in Orlando who are lovely, but I do not want to worry about trying to coordinate seeing them when our days there are jam-packed with activities. Call me selfish I guess.

2 Likes

Now, I know this is meant in jest, but I do have issues with calling something like that “discrimination”. People having (often wildly) differing opinions does not make it discrimination at all.

Of course, if someone refused to interact with you, hire you, serve you, buy from you, or sell to you, because of your love of Disney, well, then okay. Discrimination.

But not agreeing with you about Disney, and even harboring some level of hostility about it doesn’t make it discrimination.

1 Like

Sorry about your Dad, and feel your pain with family in and around Orlando. We are stopping to see DW’s family before we head to Disney for 2 days they wanted to know if we wanted them to visit us at Disney too but not go into the parks.

I think I was one of those people, who did not “get” it.

I went to Disneyland once, for about 3/4 of a day, in the middle of July, with no planning, in 100F heat. The experience left me wondering why Disney exists outside of air-conditioned theater, or home.

Many years later, it just happened. We were going to be in Southern California and decided to take our then-4y.o. to meet Mickey. In early January: perfect weather, barely any lines, and this site to prep. Boy, did we have a good time!

Planning our 3d trip for this fall.

You can totally do ski trips if/when you decide to have kids.
You can totally do ski trips and not care about anyone else’s opinion.

Ski trips are awesome.
Unfortunately, the cost is up there with the Disney. Fortunately, totally worth it.

I am an annual passholder and a local, so we go several times a month. I used to post my pictures, but even my local friends were getting jealous, so I don’t tell people when I’m going, and I don’t post my pictures on social media. However I did start a blog so I can justify my trips and have a place to post my photos for my own memories.

It’s interesting because once I started doing this, my mindset changed. Not that my blog is even seen by anyone, but my picture taking has become more sacred to me, and my trips with my kids and husband are now something also sacred that we share with just us. I can’t explain why or how this has happened, maybe because I no longer need the dopamine kick I used to get the likes from the social media crowd, and I am now capable of validating myself.

I am also now, extremely choosy about the photos I take, and each one has to be edited and spruced up before I post it.

I don’t take a large nice camera with me. I take a good quality point and shoot that I can pull out at a second’s notice, and then I crop and spruce them up on GIMP before I post them. It has become a very satisfying hobby that produces nothing really except unexpected incredible satisfaction. I can’t explain it.

5 Likes

My thought is that they are jealous that you are doing something that they’re not (Disney, skiing, whatever) so they feel the need to tear you down!

1 Like

Absolutely! Don’t let the negative people get you down!

I love “sarcastericks”! Never heard that before.

1 Like

Why do people think they have the right to make negative comments about your vacation? People who would do so are ill-mannered.

3 Likes

My family are all Disney lovers, so that’s a non-issue.

Regarding co-workers…IF it comes up in conversation, I just ignore any snide comments. If they insist on bringing it up or continuing to harp, I’ll just eventually fire back something like “At least I’m not gambling my money away…” knowing full well that several of them are going to Vegas (somewhere I have ZERO desire to ever step a toe near) over our long weekend for Rosh Hashanah.

2 Likes

I am always annoyed by: for that much money, you could go to Europe! Or hiking! Or something.

In the last two years, we went to Canada (camping and visiting) four times, two weeks in Europe, camping in Colorado, Northern California, visited Austin, went to Mexico to a resort, went to various local museums, shows, ect. So it’s not like we are ONLY going to Disney World. And even if it was the only trip we did, it is none of their business.

3 Likes

I love your: at least I am not gambling my money away. I might use it :wink:

1 Like

Feel free! :slight_smile:

I also like “Well, I can’t take it with me. And Disney makes me happy!” But I tend to not really socialize with my co-workers, so it makes it easier.

1 Like