Keeping Disney Trips Secret from friends and extended family

Yes, we are avid skiers too and this is certainly true. Disney is expensive, but it is certainly not THE most expensive way to vacation.

1 Like

Disney can be as expensive or as cheap (reasonably, of course) as you want. You can fly first class, get chauffeured to a deluxe resort, eat at Victoria & Albertā€™s nightly, and get private tours of the parks. Or you can drive, stay offsite in a budget hotel, eat cereal for breakfast and prepackaged snacks from your fanny pack. Or you can be somewhere in the middle.

3 Likes

This is what we generally have done.

It is still more expensive than most of our vacations elsewhere. :wink:

A Disney vacation is NEVER cheap. But on the expensive side, it can be astronomical! Iā€™m curious to see the cost of the Star Wars themed hotel.

Sometimes thinking about the kinds of upcharges Disney offers makes me think Iā€™m watching Robin Leach on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

1 Like

I get tired of the looks, so - depending on the person asking me where weā€™re going - I might just say ā€œFloridaā€ or ā€œCalifornia.ā€

We were having lunch with a couple and got to talking about places to visit. The husband was telling us about another couple that went to Florida for two weeks, but ā€˜all they did was stay in Walt Disney World the whole time.ā€™ They werenā€™t aware that we had gotten back from WDW about a month before that after having done the exact same thing. I let him know this and explained that WDW is huge and that even after two weeks we still didnā€™t get to do everything we wanted to do.

2 Likes

You post on ANOTHER board??? Shame on your two timing Disney heart!! **

4 Likes

Actually, no. That board is a sports message board of the team I follow. I donā€™t even really know of any other Disney message boards. No sarcastericks.

But I used them correctly right??

We generally keep our vacations on the down low. Most of our family members do not vacation because they need to keep up with the Jonesā€™s day to day with updated kitchens and cars and do not have extra money for vacations.

1 Like

Exactly what I am doing for this upcoming trip to avoid the comments, but all bets are off during the trip when my teens start posting photos on their IG accounts :open_mouth:

Absolutely.

Luckily my tweens arenā€™t on sm yet.

1 Like

I wrote something really long and deleted it. So Iā€™ll just say this post was timely and I appreciate it.

So, it gives you great joy to smoosh a dole whip into you mouth and hug a giant mouse. Who cares! You are paying for your own supreme Disney addiction. Who cares what other people think? Family especially and deliberatley included!!!

3 Likes

You do know Iā€™ll bug you anyway if that sports team is not: Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and/or Los Angeles Rams right @jason.darnell1976 ??

You do know Iā€™ll bug you anyway if that sports team is not: Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and/or Los Angeles Rams right @jason.darnell1976 ??

Actually, no. I really donā€™t follow the NFL, but my team is my alma mater, Mississippi State.

2 Likes

We used to get crap for our repeat Disney World trips. But now we have friends that took our advice and go just as often. Not everyone wants to go on a week long beach vacation with their families forever. We donā€™t have family to share the costs of a fancy beach house and the extras, so those vacations are either for a few days or a long weekend. We visit Hershey Park every summer and have season passes to Six Flags Great Adventure. Those places are not comparable to Disney World. We even have the season dining pass at Great Adventure, but donā€™t always eat in the park. We prefer to eat at the Wawa outside the gates, just to reference the food quality. But itā€™s great for when we bring extra kids with us. My husband is just as crazy about WDW as I am, maybe more if I allowed him to join Touring Plans. I donā€™t think either of us would accomplish anything if we could chat all day here. My kids appreciate how much effort we put into the planning of our trips when they talk amongst their friends about their Disney trips. We know plenty of people who spend double or even triple what we pay and have an awful trip.
I would never criticize anyone elseā€™s choice of vacation. Even my childless friends who canā€™t get off the booze cruise trips because, well, their photos and stories keep me laughing along with them.

4 Likes

Hail State! Weā€™re State fans as well!

1 Like

I donā€™t know how to ā€œlikeā€ this twice, but Iā€™m going to figure it out!

1 Like

Not rivals so weā€™re good!!! :wink:

1 Like

Eh, negative people will be negative. I go on ski trips every so often, and Iā€™ve stopped telling people about it because I got tired of the comments. Iā€™m in my mid-30ā€™s without kids, so it usually pertains to that: ā€œyou wonā€™t be able to do that once you have kidsā€¦when are you going to grow up and have kidsā€ etc.

You do you. Forget them.

5 Likes