Keeping cool at WDW in July

We Northerner’s had a pretty tough winter this year with record cold and snow. I find myself acclimated to the harsh cold where I an wearing a T-shirt and shorts when it hits 35 degrees F. Anyway, we will be visiting the mouse house in June and I fear that my physiological return to normalcy will be slow and possibly not coincided with my trip. Therefore I am asking those that venture to happiest place on earth during the summer months keep cool.

I used one of these on our last visit and it worked fairly well, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the input.
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-fe66/k2-_d53cba74-03c5-46aa-a40c-90a0ef27142a.v1.jpg

1 Like

Be sure to include short wait time attractions that give you a good amount of time sitting indoors in air-conditioned comfort. HoP, CoP, and Ellen immediately spring to mind. Spaced throughout your TP, they give you a good opportunity to cool off and recharge. Also, an afternoon break back at the resort during peak crowd/heat times is always a good idea.

1 Like

Drink water all the time. It is so hot that you won’t realize you need water until the dizziness sets in. We have fullsized frog togg like towels that we wear over our shoulders and keep the wetness on us all the time.

Walk through stores with AC when you can. Go at rope drop and leave around noon to go back to the hotel for a while. Come back at dinner time.

Most people don’t want to eat big meals in the heat so evaluate your dining plans.

2 Likes

Wear fast drying clothes. You’re going to sweat a hot in the Florida heat/humidity so you might as well be comfortable. You’ll also be in and out of air conditioning, so whatever you wear will go through many cycles of sweat and then drying out.

As for what else to do, I agree with an afternoon break to jump in the pool, even if it’s only for a few minutes. I also agree that long slow moving attractions or shows make excellent activities in the middle of the day.

1 Like

We loved our Frogg Togg. I only brought one last summer and I’m going to buy at least 2 more. I agree with doing rope drop, then taking a break early to late afternoon if possible. and yes, lots and lots of water.

Drink water. Always be drinking water. Bring water bottles with you. Refill them at drinking fountains. You’ll find that you’re sweating so much that you won’t have to make as many trips to the bathroom as you’d expect.

Use sunscreen. Put it on 10-15 minutes before going outside so that it gets set up on your skin. Re-apply it every couple of hours. Make sure you get the tops of your ears, the tops of your feet, the back of your neck, and your nose. If you get sunburned, it’ll make it a lot harder to enjoy yourself.

Wear a sun hat. Not just a baseball cap, something that can shade your head and neck all the way around. You’ll be surprised at the difference it makes; that summer Florida sun is very intense. If you’re a pale northerner like me, a sun hat is a huge plus.

Take a break in the middle of the day. You’ll be out of the worst sun and you’ll recharge your batteries for a return to the park in the cooler evening.

I second frogg toggs…we usually make an August day trip and last time I was about 6 months prego… I had one wrapped around my neck all day! Buying them from suggestions of other liners I wasn’t sure I would use them… Boy was I wrong! Of course lots of water and mickey bars :wink:

Thanks for all the input. I will take a look at the Frogg Toggs for sure.

1 Like

We use Mission towels - like Frog Togs but have found them to be better quality. We also wear linen and light colored clothing. Fast drying clothes as @FlyerFan1973 stated is really important.

1 Like