Just got back from WDW, and it's looking pretty run down lately

Also, do they use the same ratio for the LL to standby line as they did with FP to standby line? I feel like it’s a lower standby amount than it was under to older skip the queue format.
I would think that allowing a higher number of skip the line guests to standby guests has an impact when a larger number than expected amount of guests enter an LL queue. The standby wait time could jump in that instance.

1 Like

I don’t think we’ll ever know that, really. On one hand it would seem like a clear way to make money, but that would only apply to the $LL, because they don’t actually need to provide definite availability to make more money with G+, just the promise of of it.

3 Likes

My family was kind of done with WDW after our last big trip in 2022. Not done as in fed up, just felt that we’d experienced everything we wanted to and were interested in vacationing somewhere else. The changes implemented to G+ and added expenses definitely played a role too. I spent a year looking on and off at DLR for the similar yet different vibe but found it not a great alternative given the cost considerations. Long story short, our next family trip is a beach one. No reservations, far less nickel and diming, and no go go go. For a fraction of the cost.

6 Likes

I was at Universal about a year after the first HP world opened and the whole land felt like a mosh pit. People were still having to line up to get into the shops. But this time hopefully the crowds will be spread out, since there are several new lands to see… assuming Universal opens everything at once, which is a big assumption.
But, maybe this would be a good time to really experience the older parts of the parks in depth, since crowds will be focused on the new stuff?

5 Likes

At some point in my childhood, maybe that first trip when I was 10, I became indoctrinated, and now I just kind of always want to be at WDW. There’s a little bit of my brain that is always low-key missing the physical place and the way it sounds and feels and smells there. Maybe that’s why I’m taking it so personally that this time it felt like we had been downgraded from “guest” to “customer.”
They got me hooked on the drug and now they’re cutting it with powdered sugar and it doesn’t have the same effect as it used to.
It’s that part of my brain that worries, if we all stop going there, will they even be able to fix it? Or will it just continue spiral downwards? And what does rock bottom look like for WDW?
Maybe I should visit more often while I still can… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Quality customer service is down across the board in the United States and I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney is not immune. I’m going next week for the first time since late 2019, so we’ll see.

3 Likes

I don’t think this trend will ever be reversed. Once a company figures out a way for price differentiation, there is no going back.

I generally agree with this and feel similarly. Before I had kids, I would go on an adult only WDW trip every couple years, but at this point, I would not be interested in an adult only trip. I’d add to your list that the quality of the TS food has gone down dramatically over the past 15 years.

2 Likes

This is a great way to describe it.

7 Likes

Any other recommendations for YT, books, or podcasts that talk about Disney? Specifically the logistics and operations side of things.
Fascinating to think about all the infrastructure and people behind the magic. I think that’s why I’m so into the Epic Universe updates.
I (of course) listen to the Disney Dish.
I often check in with WDW News today, but find the host Tom to be a hilariously entitled diva. Along the same lines, I also know about the DIS and fell down their recent drama rabithole, but the remaining hosts are really just going through the motions now, you can tell they are burnt out.
I sometimes watch the vloggers to vicariously enjoy the current festival/special event coverage and see the newest designer snack, but I’m really looking for more in depth analysis like the Defunctland doc.
I’d also love to read anything by WDW cast members, not the Imagineers (there’s tons on that), I’d love to hear more from the frontline workers about their experiences.

2 Likes

Would love to hear your thoughts! I hope you have an amazing time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

YouTube:

Books:

Disney War

Behind the Ride

Podcasts: (Discussing more about Ops and history than “news”")

DisneyDish - the “unofficial” Touring Plans podcast

Tomorrowland Society

There are sooo many! I just did a poll about “Who is your favorite Universal Vlogger?” Maybe I should do one for WDW!

4 Likes

If you can even get into the TS restaurants! We only did a few TS meals this time because every time I tried to look for reservations I would get that stupid three-eyed monster error message “We see see see there is a problem” and I just ran out of patience with it.
The TS meals we did were Garden Grove, Rainforest Cafe, Ohana, and Boma. I thought the food was good for all of these (by WDW standards anyway), and the servers were very attentive, but they were obviously focussed on getting us fed and out as quickly as possible, even when the restaurants didn’t seem that busy.
And they are so expensive, Garden Grove cost us nearly $600 for our party of 7 :roll_eyes:
Oh and Rainforest Cafe is looking pretty rough too. The kids really wanted to do it, but some of the animals are not working and everything seems kind of faded and dusty.

2 Likes

I just watched a version of Countdown to Extinction from 1998, and Dinosaur from 2 years ago.

They are virtually identical. A bit better lighting in Dinosaur, but I am surprised how little has changed with the ride itself. It mostly got a rename, and I think updated preshow.

Anyhow, I can’t say if the ride has experienced some issues in the past two years, since the last time I rode it was before then.

1 Like

This is very much on topic (cost cutting, need for refurbishment):

Mickey Views typically has some pretty solid insight especially about Disney finances as well as park news. He is quite critical of Disney, but for legit reasons and the criticism is pretty constructive.

7 Likes

That’s what the mouse wants. But I agree, visit more often :laughing:

:disappointed_relieved: Too many people, IMO, lack pride in being friendly and kind. They think a job is a list of physical duties. I go above and beyond to try to be nice and cheerful to all CMs but especially the ones that look like they need a good dose of sunshine. Maybe it can change their mood. But it’s also stressful to be a CM that has to deal with the disgruntled guests and there are PLENTY of them right now. And that is on Disney’s shoulders.

Maybe we are just getting older and seeing in the dark is harder. At least for me it is. But I feel some of the very dark rides have gotten just a bit darker in the past few years. I first noticed this in 2020. I figured it was a cost cutting measure after the Covid closure.

2 Likes

It also depends on how dark the environment was before you entered. For example, if you go into HM during bright daylight, you may not notice as much detail as you could if you entered after sundown.

2 Likes

Given that the bulk of my visits have been in the last 10 years, and each one has had different costs and parameters, I would say each time has had diminishing returns - but I would not trade any of those times for anything else.

We just reached a point where the pull to go back is outweighed by wanting to do something else. And I’ll throw in that it’s never a draw to me to know I’d pay more to get the same experience as the previous visit (looking really hard at you, Genie+).

2 Likes

I ride Dino about every five years. I’m always surprised anyone likes it. It’s always been bumpy and rough and dark. On the very first ride the dinos were cool. But they weren’t enough to carry the bumpy (up and down), rough (side to side) and dark. Possibly Dino is darker than Countdown to Extinction.

The seating area outside of Dino is so nice, I’m much happier waiting for others to ride.

And yet, the Indy ride in Disneyland is so good. It’s fun and impressive. Which simply points out how much Dino misses the mark.

2 Likes

100% - I could barely see anything in HM when we went on a beautiful sunny day

1 Like

I’m really surprised by the restrooms. Last summer I thought they were really clean and I hardly ever had to wait in line.

2 Likes