Jungle Cruise is getting updated with changes to the story at both WDW and DL

Here is the announcement:

Today, we’re excited to share that we are building on the story of the Jungle Cruise at both Disneyland park at Disneyland Resort and Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort to include new adventures that stay true to the experience we know and love – more humor, wildlife and skipper heart – and also reflect and value the diversity of the world around us. There are no bigger fans of this attraction than our Imagineers so I’ve invited Kevin Lively – former Jungle Cruise skipper – to share a transmission from the world’s most remote tropical rivers!

5 Likes

I’m VERY excited about this. It is time JC got some love and updating.

5 Likes

I’m assuming this is to better align with the movie - when is it supposed to be out?

ETA: end of July 2021

1 Like

I’m sure they’re anticipating the movie will put it in the spotlight and intend to get ahead of that.

Not related to the movie according to the Theme Park Insider story

Many fans had thought that Disney might change Jungle Cruise to add the stars of its upcoming “Jungle Cruise” movie, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt. Disney added Johnny Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow and other characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies to those attractions after the films’ success. But sources with Imagineer said that the film characters will not be part of the Jungle Cruise rewrite.

2 Likes

I’d imagine there’s a group of headhunters calling up headhunters.

1 Like

Disney D23 blog has an interview with Imagineering Creative Portfolio Executive Chris Beatty who says no movie association, maybe some Easter Eggs

With the Jungle Cruise movie opening this year, will that be incorporated, as well?
I’m excited about the movie, and having Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt be a part of that film. But these adjustments are really focused on enhancing the existing attraction storyline and addressing some areas that needed refreshing along the way. I’m sure the film is fantastic and we’re very excited about it, but integrating the film into our classic Jungle Cruise is not part of this effort. Does that mean that as Imagineers we won’t put Easter eggs in there? We’ll definitely do that. But we are not adding a major storyline or character from that film.

Full Story

2 Likes

I believe the impetus for this is likely addressing cultural sensitivity issues, much like the driving force behind the overhaul of Splash Mountain.

5 Likes

I 100% believe you are right. I was surprised when they announced the splash mountain overhaul first. While I love Jungle Cruise for nostalgic reasons and I really do love the idea of it, the way that indigenous peoples are portrayed on that ride makes me uncomfortable. I believe you can have the same ride concept without the stereotypes

DISCLAIMER: I don’t want this to be an argument. I don’t like confrontation, just saying my feelings :grin:

6 Likes

I agree!

2 Likes

Argument? Nope. Totally agree.

1 Like

100% agree. I brought some friends to Disney for the first time in 2019 and was a little embarrassed on the ride (it had been years since I had ridden it myself!)

1 Like