Trip report J18A

@jason.darnell1976 at Ohana last year, I asked the server if they had ANYTHING besides what was on the table, and he rattled off at least 3 picky child friendly options… (hotdogs, chicken tenders, mac&cheese). Even though it’s not on the menu, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

1 Like

So on our next trip, Jiko it is!

2 Likes

Still no more Adjustments made — until the opening details of Toy Story Land, and the opening of my FPP window, there’s really nothing to do — so I continue to be in Waiting mode.

But I’ve remembered a new phase . . .

Shopping

Last year I spent a lot of money buying things in preparation for the trip — an entire new wardrobe of clothes (suitable for Florida weather), new shoes (ditto, but more on this subject later), a big hat (which I’m convinced was a life-saver), a new suitcase (my plan was to take carry-on only — which worked extremely well and I’m doing that again this year), a battery pack for my phone (which I never needed or used), a backpack to carry stuff with me to the parks (which I also never used — I bought a bag in MK which suited me better), a waterproof jacket (which, again, I never used — too warm for the weather: ponchos really are best), a cooling towel (tried it once, didn’t really like it or felt like I needed it), a Mickey Mouse magic band (loved it!), …

So mercifully not much to buy this year. I have just ordered a Kindle Fire 7 tablet — Amazon have them on special offer for £34.99. My idea is to take this with me to the parks for moments when I’m bored or having a sit down: e.g. during meals (as I’m dining alone), storms, long lines, etc. It’s so cheap that I don’t care that it might get damaged when I’m on a ride. I’m taking my vastly more expensive iPad on holiday, too, but that will be for use on the plane and in the house I’m staying in: I certainly won’t be taking that to the parks.

The only other item I currently have in mind to buy are shoes.

I worried about shoes a lot last year. In the end I bought a pair of Adidas Ultra Boost, which were insanely comfortable, but entirely unsuitable for wet weather. So, after trying all kinds of options, I also bought a pair of Crocs that I carried around with me and switched into when it rained.

This worked OK, but I want to carry just a small bag with me this time, so I want a single pair of shoes to wear all the time.

I already have a suitable bag (maybe 10in by 8in by 2in, with a shoulder strap) and plan on just carrying my Kindle Fire, my iPhone, medical supplies, a poncho, regular glasses (for indoors, sun glasses for outdoors) and (for days when I have fine dining) a spare shirt.

2 Likes

I remember your shoes and bag trauma!

1 Like

Haha. I’m quite a worrier. Well, I was last year because I just didn’t know what to expect. I ended buying (and returning) about five different pairs of shoes and three bags. Then the bag I ended up with (a kind of over-the-shoulder backpack) I didn’t even use. I bought a Minnie Mouse handbag/tote and that worked fine. But I want to travel even lighter this year and I have an ideal bag for that already.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to find waterproof shoes that are ultra-comfortable and slightly stylish.

3 Likes

I just wear flip flops. I have 3 pairs exactly the same because I know they are comfortable.

I am going crazy trying to find a back pack to put on the back of a ECV. For shoes have you tried a fishing store like Bass Pro Shop or Cabela’s they have comfortable shoes that are water proof. Sorry I’m not sure what stores are in the UK maybe LL. Bean.

Worrier here too. Packing dilemmas are fierce. Over pack/under pack. Too hot/too cold. It’s like Goldilocks and the 3 bears. If you find a pair of waterproof/comfortable shoes, please keep me in mind! I can’t wear flip flops in the parks all day.

Style opinions may vary, but my husband and I love our Keens sandals. Very comfy, they dry quickly and I love that they cover the majority of your foot.

I say get a good pair of Tevas or Keens! Both are great for walking & some styles are made to dry quickly when wet.

I LOVE reading this - it is awesome that you are returning! For me, planning (well, for most of us on this site) is half the fun!

2 Likes

Well, thank you :slight_smile:

But prepare yourself for the next phase of my planning. I didn’t have this phase last year.

Starting all over again

The plans on my spreadsheet became more and more complicated over the last week or so. The problem was I kept thinking of great ideas and then trying to add them in. It got to the point where I was staring at my laptop screen literally for hours trying to figure out how to make things work.

Then I realised the whole thing was broken and I had to start again.

But the time hadn’t been wasted because I had a much clearer sense of my priorities.

I’m feeling much happier with the current iteration.

The biggest change is that the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP tour has gone. I’ve cancelled it. It was actually causing me a number of problems in my planning. The first of which was that it started so early in the day: check-in was at 8.15am, I think. Given that I’m not staying on property, I’d have to get up at about 6am.

Well, that’s just not how I work. Last year we did lazy, late mornings, but then stayed in the parks till close. This worked really well and I want to do the same again. The house I’m staying in is really lovely and want time to enjoy it.

Also — I won’t lie — the ever-increasing cost of the trip was weighing on my mind. I think the last straw was my genius idea to stay at the Contemporary the night before the Ultimate Day so all I’d have to do was walk to MK from the hotel. But a single night was about £540. When you add that to the cost of the tour, I would have been paying about £800 — for about ten fast passes (and I wasn’t even interested in all of them), a quick service meal, and a night at the Contemporary.

To justify the cost of the Contemporary, I then tried to fit in hotel time, including watching HEA from my room. At this point the whole plan basically snapped in half and I realised I had to start again.

In rebuilding the plan, I revisited my restaurant choices and made some changes. I was also able to come up with a much simpler way of dealing with “Will TSL be open?” I have one DHS day — either all day there if TSL is open (I may even rope-drop if I have to) or half a day there if not, with the other half being a bonus MK second visit with BOG lunch.

I’ll say more about restaurant choice on the other thread I started about this: Dining choices - #50 by inactiveprofile

3 Likes

You made a good call here! The night at the Contemporary and the Ultimate Day are just a bit too much splurge, I think.

1 Like

Yeah — the best part of a thousand pounds on a bunch of FPPs that I’m not that excited about and a hotel room I’d barely see was nuts.

I am keeping the (cheaper) Ultimate Nights tour. All the good stuff at AK, including both Pandora rides with minimal waiting — that’s worth it to me.

I’m going to try to step away from my plan now. My FPP window doesn’t open up for just under three months and I feel like I’ve got a pretty good structure at this point.

1 Like

We leave in 44 days, and I am still tweaking things. I changed all our FPP for one of our MK days today, and 2/3 of them on the other MK day. I think I finally have the right plan though…but that might change, of course.

2 Likes

Last year I must have done hundreds of FPP changes.

This year’s FPP planning is going to be more difficult because I have fewer days in the parks. I’m actually going to have to do some waiting in line :scream:

I may even use a Touring Plan :hugs:

I’m under a week now and still tweaking a bit.

1 Like

It’s an obsession…crafting the perfect plan.

5 Likes

I’m trying to find the perfect bag for the parks!
Can you share a pic or a link of the one you have?

I searched for a month finally I went to Walmart got one for $10.