January 2016 Trip Report

Hiya, Liners! I’m Joyfulnerd and I’m not over here on the forums too much, but I chat a bit on the Lines app. I thought it’d be fun to write a trip report for the quick trip my mom are taking this week.

INTRODUCTIONS:
Like I said, I’m Joyfulnerd. I’ve been on Lines for about 5-1/2 years. This will be 11th (or 12th, I can’t remember!) trip to WDW. It’s totally my happy place and I always feel the most wonderful sense of relaxation and joy when we arrive.

I’m traveling with my best friend and my best Disney travel buddy who just happens to be my mom! Here we are at the Magic Kingdom in 2014:

We both absolutely adore POFQ and stay there almost every visit. I really can’t tell you how much I love that resort. It’s truly become a home away from home for us. There’s just something about it that makes me feel content and relaxed and just happy to be there!

After 10+ visits, we’re not too worried about hitting every attraction and we’re looking forward to enjoying a more relaxed trip this year. We’re calling this our “try something new trip” and we have a few things we’ve never done that we’re looking forward to trying out. Especially a pre-RD BOG breakfast and the Symphony in the Stars fireworks!

PRE TRIP:
I’ve spent the last few days desperately hoping the cold I caught last week would disappear and I was relieved to wake up this morning feeling much better than I had all weekend. Whew!

We don’t head to the World until Wednesday morning, but we’ve kind of been on vacation already. Both of us had today (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day) off and we spent the day running some random last minute errands and getting the house cleaned up. We have to work tomorrow, but once we’re done we’ll head up to Minneapolis and spend the night at my brother’s so we can be closer to the airport for Wednesday morning.

I’m so totally ready to get out this frigid below zero weather and into the warm Florida sunshine! I’m packed up (with packing cubes, of course!)

I’m going to try and update this each day of our trip. I’ve never done a trip report of any kind before, but I always enjoy reading them and I hope you’ll have fun following along with us!

15 Likes

You are taking us along? Squeel! This is a great way to start a report!

1 Like

So excited for you! Safe travels and can’t wait to hear about your trip!!

1 Like

No countdown for me … Thanks for letting me enjoy a virtual trip with you :wink:

1 Like

Have a great trip. I liked POFQ but would like to try every Resort.

1 Like

We will be following along with you all, so keep us up to date with your reports. Have fun!

1 Like

Love trip reports.

1 Like

Have a great trip!! Thanks for sharing with us! I’m looking forward to following along.

1 Like

Have a great trip! I am looking forward to following along!

1 Like

Yay! Looking forward to following along! Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

Trip reports are the next best thing to being there! Can’t wait!!

1 Like

I love trip reports. This is getting me through the winter. Post lots and lots. We are expecting a storm on Friday into saturday, I’m really going to need it!

January 19, 2016

Short report today since the real action starts tomorrow!

Is there anything longer than the last day of work before vacation? I suppose the day after coming back from vacation, but I’m not thinking about that. I’m thinking about going to Disney World!!

After an incredibly long and dragging day at work, my mom and I packed our last few things, cleaned up the house a bit, and, once my dad got home from work, we all headed up to the Twin Cities.

My brother lives in Minneapolis and is really generous about letting us stay with him whenever we have an early morning flight out of MSP. We took a quick drive to see the house he’s in the process of buying. It’s really great and I can’t wait to see the inside when he closes on it. He left to go play soccer and we stayed behind with his cat Basil or Baz as I like to call him. Isn’t he a handsome boy?

We ordered some really delicious Thai food, couldn’t find a parking spot, and ended up walking almost two blocks to go and pick up our food. BRR! I will not miss this single digit weather!

We watched the Captain America special on TV and now the fabulous and amazing Agent Carter is on. I seriously love this show. Peggy Carter is my hero. Did anyone else see the Agent Carter buses in WDW last year? I got all giddy every time I saw them. They were so cool!

Our flight is pretty early, so hopefully I’ll get some good sleep tonight. Probably not though, I’m too excited!

Tomorrow: POFQ, Disney Springs, and Epcot!

9 Likes

I hope you have a good flight!

Beautiful kitty!

Safe travels today! Basil is very handsome! :smile:

Can’t wait to read more about your trip. Hope the flight goes well and the magic starts early for you.

cute cat! the last day of work is always the looooongest!! Safe flight tomorrow!

January 20, 2016

Well, plan to get a good night’s sleep was a bit of a bust. My brother taught us a new card game and we stayed up until after 11:00 playing. Then I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and I couldn’t fall back asleep. Unfortunately, that’s par for the course for me. It’s also why Tylenol PM is my friend when I fly. I watched some Jane the Virgin on my iPad for a while and finally gave up trying fall back asleep around 5:00.

SO EARLY.

I spent the next hour or so tiptoeing around my brother’s apartment trying not to wake him up while I got ready to go the airport. We left his place around 5:45 a.m. It had snowed overnight and the roads had that super fun greasy feel to them. My dad navigated it well and dropped us off at MSP Terminal 2 around 6:15 a.m.

Since e checked in online yesterday and we only have carry-ons which means we didn’t have to go the ticketing desk. We went straight to security and found it completely empty! I don’t think I’ve ever seen it like that. It was awesome.

After we got through security, our first stop was Caribou Coffee to get some caffeine. I don’t like coffee (unless it’s more milk and sugar than coffee), so I opted for some iced tea.

I really love my luggage tag, you guys.

My mom upgraded us to 1st class for our flight. It’s a splurge she saves her work bonuses for. She really hates flying so any extra comfort she can have is a good thing. I’m lucky enough to enjoy it with her. Sun Country has a nice 1st class that’s not too expensive and we really enjoy it when we get it.

Baileys and Hamilton - 1st class done my way

Breakfast in the air

Our flight went by quickly which is always nice. I didn’t get any sleep, but that’s okay. I think my happy endorphins kept me going all day.

We got off the plane and got to the mini-monorail just before it left. Down at DME, we walked right onto the bus and were on our way in about 15 minutes. While waiting on the bus, I got our room text. No luck with our request of building 2 or 5. Our request wasn’t honored last year either. I know there’s no guarantees, but after two tries I don’t think we’ll try faxing again. Thankfully, POFQ is a nice compact resort and there’s really no bad buildings.

On our way!

POFQ - My favorite resort

After adding PH to our tickets at the POFQ concierge, we headed to Epcot. First up was Spaceship Earth. SE was the first attraction I rode with my family on our very first trip. It’s still my favorite attraction at Epcot. It just makes me happy.

SE is definitely my favorite icon to photograph.

After we thanked the Phoenicians, we made a beeline for one of our favorite snacks - buffalo blue cheese popcorn! There’s a popcorn stand sort of near the Imagination Pavillon that has flavored popcorns. The buffalo blue cheese is tangy and a little spicy and we love it. We’ve been looking forward to having it for a year! We’ve even tried to recreate it at home with mixed results.

So very orange, so very good.

As we got our popcorn, I could hear the Rocketeer music start up at the Fountain of Nations. We headed that way and watched from a bench nearby while we munched on popcorn. It was a sunny bright perfectly wonderful Epcot moment - the kind I’ll be thinking about in a couple weeks when I’m stuck in the house because it’s -10 outside!

Epcot perfection

From there we headed into the World Showcase. We wandered our way around slowly, pausing briefly to mourn the loss of the Maelstrom.

We stopped in the China Pavillon and shared the Lucky Combo at Joy of Tea at my mom’s request. The egg rolls were fine enough but nothing special. The curry pocket was tasty. We chose the caramel ginger ice cream and it was incredibly gingery. I’m not a big fan of ginger, but it was still a tasty treat.

We stayed in China to watch “Reflections of China,” which I hadn’t seen since our very first visit over 19 years ago!

At the American Adventure, we were still feeling peckish but wanted some protein and veggies. Once I got over the shame of eating in America, we ordered the Red, White and Blue Salad with chicken. It was surprisingly tasty and it was nice to eat something lighter. Of course, I couldn’t leave without getting a jalapeno cream cheese pretzel. We took the pretzel with us and watched the the American Sound Machine perform. They weren’t too bad!

We kept walking and snacking. Our trips to Epcot always seem to end up focused on food. Anyone else? Our next stop was France for the croque glacé. It was our first one ever. We got vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. We both liked it, but I think I like the chocolate macron ice cream sandwich just a little bit better.

We strolled through the shops in the UK Pavilion next and I managed to somehow resist buying all the Doctor Who merchandise. It was hard though!

I did not buy this fez in Morocco, but I was tempted because fezzes are cool.

Our day had been long by this point and while we thought about backtracking to Test Track or Living with the Land, we ended up choosing to just keep wandering around the World Showcase and relaxing.

World Showcase Sunset

Back in Mexico, we rode the Gran Fiesta Tour. We walked right on and enjoyed reminiscing about our first trip when the ride was El Rio del Tiempo. We also got to hear a very serious little girl behind us explain in great detail why the fireworks in the attraction weren’t real fireworks. So cute! I thought the new audio animatronics at the end were cute.

We arrived in the China Pavilion once again and stopped for a break. My mom called my dad back home to check in and I did some people watching. Always a fun pastime in Disney World!

We managed to time our stop just right and caught the Jeweled Dragon acrobats. They’re always fun to watch.

After we walked around the German Pavilion, we decided to head to Italy and see if we could get seated early at Via Napoli. Our ADR was at 8:30 p.m. and we showed up around 8:00. We were seated by 8:10! It was awesome. We got calamari as an appetizer. I just figured out I like calamari last year at VN. It was delicious again this year. For our pizza, we got a half pepperoni and half funghi pizza. I’m such a sucker for a good pepperoni pizza and VN is my absolute favorite.

Calamari

Pepperoni and mushroom pizza

We walked out of VN just as Illuminations was starting. Having seen it many times in the past, we decided to watch as we walked to the park entrance. I adore the Illuminations music and it’s always great to actually see the show. It’s one of my favorites.

We got to the POFQ bus stop and had about a 10 minute wait for a bus. Not bad at all! And the bus wasn’t too full, so we even got a seat.

Back at the resort, we stopped in the food court for something to drink before heading to our room. POFQ is so lovely and relaxing at night.

We were in bed soon after we got in our room. It had been a wonderful first day! I was super excited for the next day because we have a pre-RD ADR at Be Our Guest in the morning!

10 Likes

I love all the pics! What an awesome day! Your luggage tag is great. My BIL is a huge Star Wars fan. He would love that!

Loved it! What a gorgeous day at EPCOT! Can’t wait to read more!