It happened

In all seriousness-I would always defer to kiddos.

2 Likes

We will be a party of six. Does that mean one will be the pilot?

There is a left pilot and a right, so 2 would be.

Ah! Now I get it. Thank you.
Two happy travelers! DD13 and my sister. LOL

1 Like

right pilot gets to do hyperspace/lightspeed

2 Likes

Right pilot is the best. I found left much harder to control.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been on three times so far this trip and every time the pilot cards were the first handed out to our group. Luckily weā€™ve traded around and all 6 of us have played every role.

1 Like

My first ride, we had very experienced pilots and the ride was very smooth and the ride was fun, but not amazing.

Our second ride, we had terrible pilots and it was hilarious and awesome. So much more for the engineers to do if you keep crashing.

4 Likes

I want to the role of ā€œLukeā€ā€¦you know, trying to back-seat drive, then being castigated by Han for not understanding the fine art of going to light speed.

Basically, I donā€™t want to have to actually do somethingā€¦just tell my kids what they are doing wrong! :wink:

(Although, it would have been cool if they actually had two gunner pod seats just like in the movies, rather than moving them up into the cockpit where they donā€™t belong!)

3 Likes

Seriously. I predict a great deal of conversation amongst my family members about those seats when we get there.

1 Like

I honestly believe instead of a fast pass line for this ride, there needs to be a pilot line and a ā€œwhateverā€ line. The looks of excitement on peopleā€™s faces when they get pilot and the dejectment when others get engineer tell me people would definitely wait extra to be guaranteed their spot. Shoot, I essentially waited 4 hours to be pilot

2 Likes

They often have this on roller coasters; when you get to the place where you go into separate ā€œgatesā€ for each row, there is a special line for people who are willing to wait a number of cycles to get the front row. I always do this the first time I ride a new coaster, but am less selective on coasters Iā€™ve been on a bunch of times.

Not to mention a kid piloting can literally ruin everyoneā€™s experience if all theyā€™re doing is crashing into everything. Iā€™m hearing so many people complaining about this.
Iā€™m not a huge fan of how this works. Wish theyā€™d set it up so youā€™re in line for the job you want. Families could still ride together but designate whoā€™s piloting etc.
thankfully weā€™re a party of 6.

Itā€™s probably because Iā€™m old school - maybe just old - but I donā€™t want to have to interact with a ride. I want to sit down and be entertained. Iā€™ve never been a ā€œgamerā€ so things like TSMM or even Buzz have no special interest to me. Iā€™m looking forward to riding MF - to appreciate the insane computer technology that drives it, if nothing else - but itā€™d not necessarily a top priority for me. RotR, however, I think will be awesome.

5 Likes

Now I am a gamer and a Star Wars fan (was at the world premiere of RotS and have met GL for instance, should I need to back up that statement) but completely agree with the sentiment. I much preferred Star Tours (as the most similar experience) to MFSR. I didnā€™t appreciate at all having to pay attention to a panel of buttons instead of the ride (I was a gunner)!

Now I do like BLSRB, TSM and even MS - because the interactivity is either concentrated visually on the actual experience, or at clearly defined times during the ride. Sitting there and pushing buttons all the time is work! Besides the unclear relation between A) each button and its results (yes, I read the card) and B) guest actions and success/failure. And it was over really soon. Just another motion sim ride when all is said and done - nothing exciting!

Certainly would not have queued for ages to go on it again - we got on the first time by being there for RD, and had planned to do so again on our last day, but it was just such a ā€œmehā€ experience we decided to stay in bed. Nice to look around the inside of the MF though!

1 Like

This is something I think Disney missed the mark on. Gamer or not, most of us are at least familiar with basic gaming concepts like moving a joystick and pressing buttons. So, why not make it truly interactive like a game would be where each rider has normal controls that would be realistic yet familiar to the gamers out there. A gunner should be able to control their turret and fire on ships in the field of vision. This would allow the riders to experience things other than just pushing buttons on queue (Yes, Iā€™m talking to you, Mission:Space).

Everything Iā€™ve seen and read, however, seems to be like Disney had to figure out how to make the controls so incredibly basic that they donā€™t make sense. What ship would EVER be designed so that a pilot can only control up/down versus right/left?

Instead of being an elaborate video game, it becomes a group dance recital.

1 Like

Sorry - as a lowly gunner - can you only move up/down or left/right at one time? I did have a chuckle at the ā€œmove stick left to go leftā€ etc. on the instruction card :smiley:

To have two pilots, they have one pilot whose job it is to control going up or down, and the other pilot controls going left or right. One person cannot do both.

1 Like

Sorry, I somehow missed that despite it being stated on the card! No, nothing in the real world would get signed off on with that hideous control scheme :joy:

I have ridden Smugglers Run 5 or 6 times at this point, and think it is great fun. I donā€™t think it is overly complicated once you have ridden it once or twice, it is definitely a ride that gets better the more experience you have. You can easily watch the screen and push the buttons when you see it flash in your periphery, there is no reason to look at the sides which causes you to miss the action in front. I rode it single rider a few weeks ago, and the whole team did amazing. It was very smooth, we didnā€™t do much damage, and we got 2 coaxium. It wasnā€™t the first time on it for anyone though. The most fun I have had on it was on opening day, when my friends and I had no idea how to fly the thing. We laughed so hard, and the single rider with us said she had a great time because we made it fun despite all the crashing. I have yet to ride with a kid piloting though, but guessing they couldnā€™t do much worse than we did the first time we rode. Anyway, I guess I am surprised by those who didnā€™t enjoy it, or think it sounds too complicated. I think it is a great addition to the parks. I can only imagine ROTR with be even better.