Is the Disney Visa Worth It?

I’m thinking of getting a Disney Visa to get some of the perks. We have another card that pays better benefits but this one would be used just for Disney or when the other card is not accepted.

If you have the Disney Visa, what perks have you found most beneficial? Are the discounts accepted most places or does it feel too limited? Do you recommend this card or is another better?

1 Like

I’ve had the card since 2003 and have enjoyed spending all the Disney rewards dollars on our trips. That said, I constantly churn credit cards and it is the card I use between churns. DH uses his Discover which gives more actual money back.

thepointsguy.com does a great job comparing travel cards. Disney doesn’t rank very high.

The only real perk I have used was to get into the Character Spot.

4 Likes

We have used the Disney dollars. The biggest savings has been the 10 % off at the Disney store and in the parks (you have to spend at least $50 in the parks to get the percentage off). There is also 10% off for some tours and restaurants and there are Disney Visa character meets. We have found it to be worth it.

1 Like

We have it. I use it for the 10% discount on shopdisney, shopping in stores at WDW to gef a 10% discount when purchases are over $50, and for a discount in some WDW restaurants. I pay for my room and tickets on the card as well as ome every day purchases. Used my Disney reward dollars to make paying for a couple of character meals seem a little less painful.

2 Likes

EXACTLY.
Even with it only being our secondary card, I had earned over $700 since June 2018 DLR trip. It provided for our dining.

4 Likes

Also opted out of mousekeeping and used that gift card to pay for lunch at LTT.

1 Like

I have had the no fee one since my first trip in 2005. It is my back up card but every once in a while I get a real benefit from it. For example, I decided to add a small direct dvc contract. I could pay cash but I put it on that card and took the 6 months interest free to pay it off. I also got a lot of rewards points😀 I use this card almost exclusively for my Disney purchases. I don’t generally use it enough to justify the 2x rewards and fee. I also found it was a little easier to use it in a restaurant and apply the discount if I am using a card. It is a one step process to get the 10% off instead of AP/credit or dvc/credit. At times they might extend a vacation offer additional dates with the card as well. Really, not a great card, but an ok back up.

5 Likes

I got $250 in gift cards for signing up, and have earned $450 in rewards (I get 1%, no annual fee).

So in about a year and a half, I have earned $700 for our trips.

2 Likes

We keep it as just a basic card to have on hand - other cards have better rewards, but the sign on and referral bonuses for only a $500 spend make it a no brainer to have.

The perks in park can be nice, but we never get to use the merch discount since we tend to buy things that cost less than the $50 threshold.

You can earn the sign on bonus every 24 months - my wife and I round-robin refer each other alternate years to rack them up. (Just note the 24 month clock starts the month you earn the bonus, not when you get the card.)

In the old days the sign on bonus was in the form of a rewards card but is not a statement credit. I liked that better so you did not have to do imaginary math later. The referral bonus still comes via rewards card.

So: worth it!

4 Likes

I have one for discount/perk purposes, but don’t actually use it much. I feel I get more bang out of my Chase Sapphire (3x miles on travel and dining, transfer to Southwest miles) and Capitol One Venture (2x miles on anything, can use to cover Undercover Tourist ticket purchases).

3 Likes

I don’t know your marriage status but if you are going to get it I would suggest both you and your SO get a separate (not linked) card, so you both can get the bonus $.
I get a better reward on my capital one venture miles card (2x), however I am somewhat limited on what I can trade them for, but now they paired up with jet blue so I can turn those over into miles.

We use the disney visa for anything that will get us the 2% back. Mostly groceries, gas, restaraunts and disney bookings. so far in a year and a half me and my hubby have accumulated about $600. We plan on waiting until 2021 to use them when we go for the 50th anniversary. Hoping to upgrade to nicer hotels!

1 Like

I would go with TPG’s ratings - you can get a lot better bang for your buck than the Disney card, and your rewards are not necessarily tied to a specific destination. Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum FTW!

3 Likes

I got a Disney Visa few years back to accumulate points for the next trip, which was to see GE. That next trip is now next month!! I’ve also used it for dining discounts, which was nice, but I don’t see that as a game-changer. I also was very disappointed that the Q1 discounts for Visa cardholders were limited to the Riviera. The price point there was so high that even with the discount, the room cost was pretty much in line with other deluxes. Plus you’re talking about a reduced inventory of available discounted rooms. I’ve also noticed that recent room discount offers haven’t been that much different than what’s available to the general public. So while I’m happy I’ve been able to accumulate points to shave the cost of this next trip some, I feel like there are better cards in which to accomplish this. Maybe once the GE surge dies down, better discounts will be offered. But for now, I’m disappointed that when I needed the card for the benefits I expected, they weren’t all that helpful, and if the benefits themselves aren’t that much different than what’s available to everyone, then what’s the point of being a Disney Vida holder?

1 Like

probably a butt load of suggestions already but what i would say is it depends on you and your credit card habits. I use the Disney premium card and an amazon prime card, i maximize my points and get a lot out of them. If you have an annual pass or a DVC membership you have a lot of the discounts covered unless you buy a lot of store merch, then the Visa kicks in nicely.

1 Like

I didn’t see anyone else mention this but I think this is a huge benefit. You can get 6 months interest fee to pay off your Disney vacation if you charge it to your Disney visa.

4 Likes

Like others have mentioned, the biggest advantages are access to the character spots/lounges in the parks, 6 months interest free on Disney vacation purchases and access/early access to promotions. It is not the points winner, but it has a lot of perks for Disney lovers!

ETA: I also love my sorcerer Mickey card! I will call that a perk as well :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a good point. It just brings me joy every time I pull out my Disney card and see a glimpse of the castle. Although, I wonder if that’s dangerous. Whip out that card with too much joy involved and you might start over-spending! :wink:

3 Likes

We have the basic card and only use it for certain things. We do not regularly use the card. The best uses we have found are the 10% off Disney merch, 10% off at Trails End, early booking deposit offered to Visa holders. We have also taken advantage of the Character spot.

1 Like

I think we all agree other cards have better rewards - but the sign on bonus vs the spend required ratio is pretty sweet. If I wasn’t clear in my “worth it” vote: I mean we get it mainly for the bonus and then use other cards most of the time.

1 Like

I have the Darth Vader Card. I get the greatest comments whenever I whip that bad boy out.

4 Likes