Is O'Hana a Time Waster?

Hello!

We have decided that we want to try O’hana for dinner this trip based on the great reviews! We are thinking we will book a reservation for 4:30. This would (I think) allow us to watch the 3pm parade at MK and then go to dinner and be back before the fireworks.

How long does it take to get from main street to O’hana? Wondering if we are making a good decision about this or if we are wasting too much time with having to leave the park … and maybe we should book Liberty Tree instead?

1 Like

I’d give about 30 minutes for leaving the park, hopping on the monorail, and debarking at Poly. I like O’hana enough I would say go for it if you otherwise think it’s a good fit for your party and you don’t mind losing ~2 hours of your day leaving the park and eating out.

It can take longer to get there if the monorail is lagging (sometimes in slower times it stops for a very long time at each stop). You could take the ferry or express monorail to TTC and walk the rest of the way if something goes wrong.

(You can also technically walk around the lake through Grand Flo but it’s a long walk.)

2 Likes

I would say allow at least 2.5 hours for transit and meal time. I think it’s worth it and I think I prefer the food at Ohana to LTT too. The Poly is one of my fave resorts so any time spent there is a win in my book.

3 Likes

Is the resort launch running again? That would be my choice. Maybe not as fast as the Monorail could be.

I think there is meant to be a launch arriving within every 20 minutes. The launch used to go to the GF and then to the Poly. It’s a fairly direct walk to the restaurant.

We’ve eaten at 'Ohanas several times and only once at LTT. I haven’t always been wowed by the menu choices at 'Ohanas it’s felt like a fun place. The dining room is more open. The windows are big enough we watched the kiss goodnight on the Castle one night and we were towards the center of the room.

We probably should give LTT another try. The day we were there it was crowded - more like congested, wait staff overwhelmed, food ok but I’m not really a fan of tradional Thanksgiving foods. We were there too long for essentially a
meal.

1 Like

Should be quick but post parade I’d allow 45 mins whether by ferry or monorail as there may be a wait. You’ll make it though, no issue

You’ll be back in plenty of time for the fireworks and stuff.

It can be a very good dinner. It can also be just so-so. The thing about 'Ohana is it’s a bit inconsistent. They do often run behind but that won’t affect you with an opening time reservation. They may try to rush you, though - but it sounds like you’re less worried about that then whether it will take too long

Lib Tree is fabulous. Can’t go wrong there.

3 Likes

I know you weren’t asking for an Ohana review but I would skip it. Ohana has always been one of our favorites but the last couple of times, it’s not been good at all. We last dined there on 12/26. We are a family of 6 so 18% gratuity is automatically added. They sat us at a table for 4 in the middle of the room and added a couple of extra chairs. We were cramped. The waiter barely said 10 words to us. No refill of drinks. I had to specifically request a kids meal for my child, it wasn’t offered. They brought out the shrimp on a big plate when they brought the salad and other starters. It was luke warm then and I questioned if it was cooked thoroughly. By the time we were ready for it, it was cold and they never brought more. Then they brought out chunks of steak. Some were charred and others were beyond rare. I did find one chunk that was edible and actually tasty. It took them forever to then bring the chicken. To the point where we were ready to be done with the meal. When it finally came out, they were just thighs and some were charred beyond being edible, the others were literally pink inside. I couldn’t get our waiters attention for anything. It was like he was purposely not coming to our table. The bread, salad, wings, and potstickers were pretty good. The noodles are different and not nearly as good. They also changed the dessert and it is not nearly as good. Again, the waiter did not offer the kids dessert, and he just dropped the dessert off and took off so I couldn’t get his attention then either. It was a mess. Easily the worst meal we had on our trip and actually ever at Disney. I was so frustrated at the end, we just wanted to get out of there. And we paid nearly $400 for that meal. Lesson learned for me. We won’t go back.
Now having said all that, we also had a breakfast reservation there a couple of days later. The breakfast, although overpriced for what it is, was very good with very good service.
I agree that Liberty Tree has always been amazing. It’s become one of my family’s favorite meals.

3 Likes

I’d allow about 45 minutes to get out of the park to the boat launch and then to take the boat to the Poly. Many others may be leaving at that time too. I’d watch the parade near the exit of MK so you can make a quick get away. I always allow 90 minutes for each table service meal. Give yourself 30-45 minutes to get back to MK. I’d allow three hours of time for transport and the meal. A meal outside the park would be a nice break.

2 Likes

I think we had this same waiter at Tiffins in June.

So happy to leave that restaurant.

Definitely reach out to Disney about your experience there.

I do because how do they know otherwise. I also mention great service.

And sometimes there’s a response and sometimes not. :blush:

1 Like

Yes! I was thinking it would be nice to see another resort as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow! That sounds like a terrible experience and just so opposite from what I have read! However, most reviews would be older and you were there very recently. Definitely has be reconsidering! Thank you for the information!!

2 Likes

That is what I was thinking!

1 Like

It’s easily one of my favorite restaurants on property, so not a waste of time, IMO. I don’t think LTT is a good comparison. It’s two totally different vibes. The only similarity is both are family style.

3 Likes

For my family, 'Ohana is a must do. Love the food and the atmosphere. We haven’t been there since it reopened post-pandemic, but will definitely be planning on snagging an ADR for our trip this fall. I agree with others who say you should plan 45 minutes to get there. If you get there early, wander around the beautiful Polynesian resort a bit…it’s beautiful. (Or relax with a Lapu Lapu from the bar while you wait!)

4 Likes

We absolutely loved it before. It was a must do. We gave it two tries post reopening and it’s just a completely different experience. If you do go, let me know what your experience is like!

1 Like

Our last visit to ‘Ohana was February 2020. DH and I had a great table with a fireworks view. But, the food wasn’t as good as on our previous visits. We really enjoyed the bread, salad, veggies and noodles. Our wings were not cooked well (kind of flabby) and the other meat was gristley and/or too well done. The bread pudding which is one of our favorite things, was a little different than we remembered (maybe the sauce had changed?) and we didn’t like it as well. It may be that it’s just inconsistent, but for us, it’s no longer a must-do.

3 Likes

The “old” bread pudding was easily one of the top desserts in all of Disney. It had a banana fosters sauce and was incredible. The new stuff is a pineapple coconut bread pudding. I love pineapple and coconut, but this just isn’t nearly as good, and no bananas fosters sauce :tired_face:

1 Like