Is California Grill worth the price?

We have never eaten here and I really want to try it, buuut… $89 pp is pretty steep. $360 for the 4 of us before tip. Is it consistently amazing? I feel that it should be at that price point!

1 Like

I haven’t been there since it went prix fixe

I will say that prior to that I was there multiple times and typically spent rather a lot more than $89pp and it was well worth the spend.

My concern would be whether quality has deteriorated with the prix fixe as is so common with that change. I dislike being told what I have to order which is why I haven’t been since.

4 Likes

I also have not been back since it went prix fixe.

CG used to be my favorite restaurant on property (and one of my favs anywhere), but I noticed a decline in quality at CG on my 2018 and 2019 trips compared to my 2002-2014 trips (no trips from 2015-2017). I’d be concerned about further decline with the switch to fixed pricing.

1 Like

I would agree with the above on my 2002-2014 CG dinners.

2 Likes

Depends. The only real advantage nowadays is a semi-private fireworks view. Or, a wonderful sunset if you’re in to that. We did the new menu in November. It was good. Not outstanding in any way. My favorite part was the look on the 2 year old’s face when she heard Minnie’s voice in the MVMCP fireworks show. Could have heard the same thing in the parks, but it was great not having to take her into the fireworks crowd for that. My opinion is CG is worth it at least once.

1 Like

We’ve only been once (March 2023). I was so pumped up to get a reservation for this place because I’ve heard rave reviews over the years. We were sorely disappointed in the food and the service. I was expecting an exclusive restaurant atmosphere, but I felt like I was in a big expensive noisy cafeteria. Just as many kids screaming and misbehaving as any other WDW restaurant. And the final straw? It was storming and pouring down rain for the fireworks show, so everyone was stuck inside. Not a great experience.

1 Like

Both were much better years ago.

But this was always true for CG even when the food and service were top notch.

3 Likes

I did the 50th menu back in Sept 2022. Food quality & service was great for me.

It was close to “worth it” as a solo diner. I don’t know about paying for 4.

Probably still worthwhile if none of the group has experienced it before. I’m glad I went, but doubt I’ll return unless they go to a normal full selection menu

3 Likes

I think we have been twice since it went prix fixe. Once on the 50th menu and once last May. We were happy with the food/cost both times and the views are remarkable. Overall I think it is definitely worth doing at least once to experience it. We’re planning on going back on our next trip…

5 Likes

Clarification: I absolutely would go up for the bar :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Agreed. We went last year, and the food it was absolutely fabulous! Our waiter was the best and very attentive. Had a window seat and would go back in an instant!

3 Likes

In reading these other reviews, perhaps we just had a bad experience in 2023. It took forever to get our food, and all 4 of us felt that our meals were highly salted. Our waiter barely came back to check on us at all, even to refill drinks, which I was really surprised at because I had always heard that the service was good there. And with the stormy weather, one of the main attractions was diminished for us. So, maybe our experience was not typical.

1 Like

Do you like seafood? That would be the key question for me.

It was a one and done for me. I’m allergic to shellfish and mushrooms, which for the menu at the time meant I could only order a salad for an appetizer. I was really looking forward to some pot stickers they had but I couldn’t eat them due to cross-contamination.

They clearly felt bad about my lack of options and gifted us a round of champagne, which I politely accepted though I do not drink.

I thought the service and ambiance were top-notch, but for me personally, the food was a miss.

2 Likes

Wow that’s great intel for seafood allergic guests! I would never have thought of Cali Grill as a seafood place - they certainly offer seafood dishes but there plenty that isn’t seafood too. But cross contamination is a huge concern obviously and it’s too bad they can’t prevent that in this location!

1 Like

When I went for the 50th menu, there was at least one category (probably entrée) which did not have a gluten free option listed. When I complained about that they were able to offer most of the options with GF variants. So at least for my dietary needs they were much more proactive on adjusting than some places. Obviously this is much different than seafood and I wasn’t overly worried about cross contamination, but wanted to let folks know they aren’t bad with at least some allergies.

California Grill does have a very good sushi menu FWIW on that seafood front.

3 Likes

We do like seafood! I feel like we need to go just for the experience, this is our 4th trip and we have never been. We all are fairly adventurous eaters so if we choose right we should be able to appreciate the high quality. I will be expecting excellent!

I am a month or so out from my ADRs so have plenty of time to figure it out. I am definitely booking Storybook Dining at Artists Point since we have never done it. First time for Space 220 Lounge, Shiki Sai, and Wine Bar George assuming I can score all of these also!

1 Like