Into the unknown meets hakuna mattata (I hope)

10 days before take off!!! I am so excited! I am going to try to do a trip report this time because it is supposed to be a relaxed trip. This is our postponed March 2020 trip when we were supposed to be celebrating our 10 year adoption day anniversary. It is myself and my DD12. Big plans back then 2 DAH events, 2 regular park days, cirque du soleil tickets, GDT. Fast forward through a very rough 15 months (that felt like 15 years) and the trip looks totally different! 7 days, 6 park days, water park days, CBR, WL, AKL. Plus add to the mix that I am leaving my job 2 days before we leave, switching careers after 30 years and starting grad school! To say I am excited/nervous is a massive understatement! Working the way I did during the pandemic really took a toll on my health (not great to begin with) and clarified for me the fact that I want to do better for my daughter. She was amazing through it all. Never once complained about the long hours and seemingly constant interruptions. As always the planning was an escape from reality for me! Thank you for all your help! Reading about everyoneā€™s experiences was a lifeline.
I thought about postponing again but we are both vaccinated and this feels like the sweet spot for one more WDW trip before we venture out of the bubble into rest of the world. It doesnā€™t hurt that 15 months of using the Disney Visa covers much more than a few meals and the SW change thingie gave us $99 airfare!!!
This trip will also be different because it is all about what my kid wants to do and she wants to sleep, swim and ride roller coasters in that order. She has agreed to one RD day! Iā€™m an early bird so I have loaded up my kindl with all the books I havenā€™t had a chance to read this year!
For the last week I have truly lost my mind! Iā€™ve been obsessing over everything! We decided to do carry ons only so as to avoid baggage claim. Turns out that makes total sense for us! The online ordering has been intense: For our March trip raincoats made sense for June they would be too hot so I ordered ponchos, no balcony? no problem I ordered a beach chair to be delivered (and will be passing it on when we leave), 3 ounce rule? No problem sunscreen also being delivered. All the food for the room is in the Prime Now cart just waiting until we get to the airport.
Water shoes issue hopefully coming together! I was worried about walking all day at the water parks because I use a combo of braces and orthotics. i can get away with just orthotics if I am careful but couldnā€™t figure out what to do about shoes. I have finally figured it out I think! Silicone covers for the orthotics, neoprene surf socks over them and crocs! I have never worn crocs b/c I would never not wear my orthotics but this crazy combination might actually work! This way they can come off easily if needed on the ride (leaving on the surf socks) My kid is okay with the incredibly stupid sock/croc combo if it means we can have fun at the water parks (I will post a picture at some point)
She has also agreed to some matching shirts and super funny matching sunglasses (I almost fell overā€¦did I mention she is 12)! Plus one day we will be sporting our Pluto hats!
First time traveling with CPAP but seems like it should be fine. I feel so much better since starting it I canā€™t even believe it!!! This is the worst I have ever been physically but decided that was not a reason to cancel. Finding out that part of the problem was lack of actual sleep actually put me in a better headspace and gave me hope. This is our reset. My chance to say I am sorry, you are the most important part of my world and I love you! It is the start of putting us first again. Did I mention Iā€™m excited!!! Next update will hopefully be from Disney!!!

32 Likes

I hope itā€™s an amazing trip!

4 Likes

What a great way to kick that off! Canā€™t wait to follow along.

4 Likes

Goodness gracious! I canā€™t wait to follow your adventure and see you crocā€™d, sockā€™d, and lockā€™d! Itā€™s going to be fantastic, I just know it!

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Hope you both have the best time! Reading your story made me tear up because Iā€™m also adopted and my mom loves me just like you love your DD.

4 Likes

Oh, I canā€™t wait to read this one! Youā€™ve really had to wait long enough for this. Exciting!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m so looking forward to following your trip! Doing a TR is a great way to document such a special trip.

4 Likes

That is so nice! It has been an amazing journeyā¤ļø I still canā€™t believe how incredibly lucky I am.

2 Likes

:grin:

1 Like

Itā€™s raining here today so we finished some odds and ends packing/cleaning. Then we finally after 16 months put our vinyl decals in our magic bands from the trip that wasnā€™t!!!

Last day of work: 6 more days
LEAVE FOR WDW: 8 more days!!!

13 Likes

Ok friends, we made it!!! Before I start let me first say thank you to everyone! Your help has made all the difference! Second this was a crazy emotional week/pandemic and you will see I was more exhausted than I was willing to admit. My last days of work were so busy and full of love. The school I work for really loves itā€™s people and there were 12 of us leaving all of us had been there for 10+ years and most of us had kids who went there. The ties run deep. There was a lovely 2 hour goodbye meeting where they honored us the way we honor each 8th grader when they graduate. It was funny and sad and perfect! Cleaning out my office which is now in the locker rooms not so perfect! The first thing I did when I walked out the door was to delete ā€œslackā€ from my phone! Then I jumped in a pool with my scrubs on and changed into my Disney clothes! My own little cleansing! Then I had a mimosa(or 2). These people are my people so I wonā€™t lose them so I wasnā€™t sad just so damn relieved and appreciative!
Ok departure day:
Up and ready at 4:45. My parents picked us up and drove us to the airport. They thought we were crazy with our 2 backpacks for a week long trip! Southwest system is so great! Had gotten our boarding passes online and saved them to apple wallet (had never used it b/4). Maybe 20 people ahead of usā€¦used my liner skills to go all the way to the shortest screener! It was a little strange there were 2 people screening us who kept contradicting each other! Luckily my kid knows to just go with it and we made it. Passed a ridiculously long Dunkinā€™ Donuts line and didnā€™t hesitate to skip it! (We had eaten NY bagels and cream cheese in the carā€¦I love having family in Staten Island!) got some water and went to the gate. Flight was uneventfulšŸ˜. I fell asleepā€¦itā€™s a theme! No baggage claim for us so straight to the Magical Express where the line was all the way to the car rental!!! Oh boy! Looked at my kid and said welcome to Disney but whatā€™s worse a long line here or mom still being the school nurse? We quickly decided we could handle the line! It move quickly b/c they take the whole party at once so donā€™t be scared! We waited maybe 10 minutes in that line and another 15 for the bus! I switched our bags around so we had just what we needed for swimming and AK in one bag and could check the rest at bell services. No social distancing anywhere (except Kate and I leaving room b/t us and the folks in front of us). They are giving assigned seats on the buses so your group stays together. At first I thought for contact tracing but then I realized it was a dry erase marker! Suppose it helps contain it a bit.
Arrived at CBR and wow!!! It is beautiful!!! Dropped the bags and picked up our mobile order lunchā€¦impossible burgers and fries were awesome!!! Sat on a bench watching the skyliner (I mean death buckets) go byā€¦.we canā€™t wait to ride them!!! Then it was time for a swim and it was wonderful! I forgot how shallow the pools are which makes total sense for a family resort or itā€™s a sign of how tall my kid is nowšŸ˜‚
after a lovely swim we caught the bus to AK. Didnā€™t wait long. Then I fell asleep on the trip to AK! No line to check in and no bag check unless the alarm is set off! No finger print either. Pulled up the TP app and off to Everest we went! 14 minute line was right on felt like a walk on! Totally expected my kid to bail she was so nervous but she knows itā€™s Disney (they frown on guests dying on rides) so it was just her own fear she was battling! She braved it and it was awesome!!! I had never been either. She said she would do it again but not today. Then had fun watching other people ride it and taking pictures to show my dad! Kali was too long so off to safari. Walk on! Kate said it was greatā€¦.I fell asleepā€‹:joy::joy::joy::joy:thankfully we have one more day at AK! Then it was off to FOP which TP said was a 50 minute wait. The line really moved quickly and we were on in 35 minutes! Plus the queue was air conditioned which was a nice break. Florida in June does indeed feel like the surface of the sun! OMG this ride!!! It was so amazing!!! I donā€™t even have words! Can you imagine being on of the imagineers who had that idea and then saw it happen!!! Wow! Then to Satuli Canteen where our cheesecake was waiting for us! I have wanted to try this since it opened and it was great!!!
Then the weird thing happened: Went to get a cup of water and a person I thought was finished was taking a picture of the water station as I was filling my cup. She said ā€œIā€™m not taking a picture of you I am taking a picture of this sign because they are lying to usā€ spoiler it was the most logical thing she said during this interaction and I should have walked away. As I finished filling my water she proceeded to try to engage me about COVID and what I later realized were some QANON conspiracy theories. I usually have good crazy radar but itā€™s Disney and my guard was down. I stupidly stood there listening and tried to be nice. Then her poor daughter (maybe 14,15) came to get her and said she was sorry ā€œI said oh no, itā€™s fine everyone has their own perspective and your mom is just telling me hersā€ this poor kid looked mortified. Well that set mom off and she started screaming at me that itā€™s not a perspective masks donā€™t work (I said they do I just watched them work in a school) that she is a scientist and Iā€™m turning into hitlers army. At this point I tried to say goodbye and she just kept going. I must have said ā€œyou need to stop nowā€ about 5 times b/4 a CM came over. We walked out of the restaurant and to a manager who apologized and asked if there was anything they could do. At this point I was failing at fighting back tearsā€¦really!!! Fighting about COVID at Disney and telling a nurse they donā€™t know what they are talking about after I damn near died keeping a school safe during a pandemic oh my god I was pissed. Mad at myself for engaging at all but I donā€™t realize what was happening until it was too late. I said no Iā€™m just frustrated because Iā€™m a nurse and that was crazy. I thanked him and went to leave and he said youā€™re a nurse? How about a fast pass to FOP? What?!? I said oh no thatā€™s ok we already rode it we are on our way to Navi (idiot) and he said no really let us do this for your daughter, itā€™s Disney Magic! Ok! So off we went! 5 minutes snd we were back on FOP!!! Amazing again!!! So incredibleā€¦and just like that it felt like the happiest place on earth again!
Then off to Kali and then back to the resort we were tired but happy. Just as the bus pulled in I got the Amazon prime now alert so to bell derives we went where they were trying very hard not to laugh! We basically ordered a weeks worth of groceries and a beach chair! Plus our back packs so we got a shuttle ride over to our room and I tipped really well! I will say without our groceries we paid more for food yesterday than I can even handle!!! Iā€™m way more comfortable with one meal a day and unlimited snacks! Even my kid was tired so we showered, unpacked, had cheese, crackers, clementines and watched TV (should have brought the fire stick no Luca for us) and went to bed!
Iā€™m writing this from my beach chair just outside the room watching the skyliner go by. Itā€™s lovely. Didnā€™t get our room request but itā€™s an awesome location. Right next to the riviera skyliner and close to the pool. I managed to sleep for 8 hours last night which I canā€™t remember ever doing before! We have a lazy day planned and then EPCOT late afternoon. Itā€™s supposed to rain so I got a Teppon EDOC reservation! Food booths in the rain doesnā€™t sound awesome. If itā€™s not raining will modify and cancel. Might hit blizzard beach this morning or just hang at the resort.
I must say I liked no plan! We just looked at what had the shortest line that we wanted to ride and headed there. No map just asked a CM if we were unsure. Easy Peezy and super fun. I had forgotten just how fun and easy it is to travel with just my daughter! Sheā€™s a fast walker and doesnā€™t complain! All day long I was feeling for families with young children! So cute and so much fun but oh my god so much work! Those days were hard anyway so maybe a hard at Disney is better! I was really appreciative of only carrying sunscreen and a water bottle! By 5pm big people and little people were melting down everywhere! I see you and I feel you!
Buses were quick in fact we were not even on a Disney bus on the way back from AK. Just a random busā€¦I had a moment of should we really get on this unmarked bus with a non Disney driver but we did and lived to tell the tale!
So far this vacation is amazing!!!

18 Likes

Some pics:

16 Likes

Oh wow, sorry about the crazy lady! All sounds great otherwise though! Nice pics.

3 Likes

Thanks! It was weirdā€¦my daughter said sheā€™s going to buy me the ā€œ I want to be where the people arenā€™tā€ shirt! Lesson learned. CBR is amazing!!!

7 Likes

Glad the kind CM was there to give you some pixie dust after that frustrating experience!

5 Likes

What a wild start to the week! Hope yā€™all have fun at Epcot later!

1 Like

Animal butts!!! This, this right here, this is why I read this forum. :rofl:

Iā€™m so enjoying this trip report! Except for the part about the crazy lady. You deserved that FP!!!

6 Likes

First, happy (late) 10 year gotcha day! We just had our 20 year anniversary with DD21 in February. Itā€™s so hard for me to believe that that baby can legally drink alcohol now! :grin:

Totally agree with you about FOP and the cheesecake! Sounds like a great first day in the parks except for the unpleasantness with that woman. I feel so bad for her daughter! I had an unpleasant encounter on a plane coming home from Orlando in May. Some people are powder kegs just waiting for a spark and you donā€™t even really know what will constitute a spark to them! I hope you donā€™t let it weigh on you. And, yes, you totally deserved that FP!

2 Likes

I also wanted to say that itā€™s pure genius that you ordered a beach chair and created your own patio space!

4 Likes

I guess itā€™s not very often that bell services receives a beach chair in a delivery, but itā€™s a brilliant idea! And also, I keep getting a wicked ear worm every time I read the title to your thread. Thank you :joy:

4 Likes