In current period of no FP, is WDW worth it?

I’m one who would prefer to wait in three 20-minute lines than one 60-minute line and two walk-ons. It’s about my attention span, etc. But I can see why some people would prefer the other way around. That’s why no one system will make everyone happy, and it’s good to have some options.

2 Likes

I think the answer to this either/or preference can also have to do with the queue.

60 minutes in the JC or Speedway queue?? NFW

60 minutes in the FOP queue - not desirable overall, but a MUCH better way to spend an hour than the other!

6 Likes

And I think it’s a serious shortcoming of the TP algorithm that you cannot set a threshold for how long your party will wait for a ride…

5 Likes

Well, I only want to do that if it doesn’t mean criss-crossing the park. Ultimately, if I finish my plan at about the same time without criss-crossing the parks, I will choose that. It’s sometimes a trade off of walking vs. waiting. I look at the end time and total the walking/waiting times together for my purposes.

I also agree with Jeff (I mean - it’s my goal) that I would prefer three 20 minute lines to a 60 minute plus two walk-ons.

5 Likes

I think it captures the fact that pre-shows and queue design can effectively extend the attraction so you’re not waiting for it but experiencing it before you reach the ride vehicle.

8 Likes

Which they also spoke to a bit in the podcast episode.

3 Likes

Maybe. I would have thought this would have happened already (pre-pandemic), but I was wrong. The price and crowds for MNSSHP were obscene and yet they kept selling out. The deluxe resort prices were priced like (maybe higher than???) a Four Seasons and yet they kept filling up. I don’t think paid FP is going to make a difference. What will?

2 Likes

I am dying to go to Discovery Cove. It just looks so lush and peaceful and the all inclusive aspect is highly appealing. Trying to talk my friends into going for our 40th next year, but no dice so far.

2 Likes

My youngest is the daredevil. My DH is not the thrill rider.

1 Like

I will throw my vote in for three 20 minute waits over a single one hour wait. Yes, queue experience does matter, but that is way past my attention span. I might be convinced that it would be okay if there was going to be one ride like that a day, but I would have to love it. Otherwise I would just skip it. This is my first time using Lines, and I do wish I could set a wait threshold. I would probably set it for something like 25 minutes and see if I get most of what I want.

4 Likes

Put me in the three 20 minute camp because toddlers. Ask me the question again in about seven years.

5 Likes

There’s something to be said for having three guaranteed experiences you know you are going to get when you leave in the morning. I wouldn’t say relaxing, but the OCD in me would think, “AT LEAST we’re going to do those three things, we’re going to get on quickly, and have a great time.” Especially when we manage to get what we want. I don’t know that I’m willing to save 10 or 15 minutes on a per ride basis to let that guaranteed feeling go. I didn’t say I was rational either.

Another thing that my be affecting this is, I signed up for Touring Plans in June of 2019 (after having just had a horrible trip) for our April 2020 trip. I have never got to use a touring plan. Holy cow, that’s weird. I may change my mind about all of this if a proper touring plan keeps our waits down significantly.

7 Likes

Truth.

6 Likes

Especially when they’re your 3 favourite rides in that park!

4 Likes

The three guaranteed rides thing works for those that go often. Whatever they can’t get this time, they’ll get next time. But, those that us on the one-and-done trip, three rides / day just don’t cut it. Particularly with the tier thing. From my research it seems that only the Tier 1 rides would have long lines without fast passes during normal capacity. So that means the FP+ helps you out on one ride. Maybe two or three assuming you can get day-of FP’s for headliners. And then only because you are a liner and know when they drop more FP’s and tricks like to get them and then modify.

1 Like

I don’t go often and it works for me. Not just 3 rides, but getting there early and knocking out a couple of rides and then having my 3 FPs.

6 Likes

I think it’s actually the opposite. They’ve said out loud that the AP holders and DVC members (ie the guests that keep going back) actually spend less money than the guest that only visits once in a lifetime or every few years.

3 Likes

Yes this! With FPs, we can use our early arrival hours to standby ride other attractions. Under the current system, we have to choose what is most important to do in the early AM, and hope that the other lines shorten up at some point during the day or evening.

6 Likes

And knowing you don’t have to wake up at 6am or earlier to do so. Did I mention I am not a morning person? :blush:

5 Likes

Yes this! My family was not happy to rope drop so many days this trip but it felt necessary to miss the middle day heat and long lines.

3 Likes