Ideas for a Disney Surprise Splurge

Or a hot air balloon or helicopter tour? Some of the helicopter tours they time to catch multiple fireworks shows.

1 Like

How does she feel about water. My DH, DS and DGD did the Aqua Tour. It’s snorkeling in the big tank at EPCOT. They loved it!

2 Likes

We actually talked about the 4 in 1 challenge. If it was just us, I think it would be awesome, but I can’t see our kids holding up well on that. I think they would get frustrated with the transportation. We may try it when they are older. But some of the shirts/gifts/surprises may bring a little pixie dust to this.

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for all of the ideas! Even more to look up and consider. Love the card idea, need to think about that one more and how to keep it nice and such.

1 Like

So you picked up your bags and just headed out to a Minnie Van? Any idea how much time you think you saved overall going this route?

So, I was going to originally suggest the Ultimate Thrills Tour but when I read that your wife wasn’t a thrill seeker I wasn’t sure if she would love it. But, that’s what we have booked for April. I think that would be a truly memorable day. Here is a review that I read. An 'Ultimate' Trip Report

Your family might like the After Hours event, but it’s pretty late (9pm-12am), so that wouldn’t be ideal for my family. I think it would make the next day a little rough. We’re better at getting up early and getting out rather than staying up late and sleeping in…though it does look cool to see Animal Kingdom at night.

Also, I suggested the CRT fireworks party since you said your wife likes princesses more than DD!

There are several options for boat rental as well. There are pontoon boats, which are the least expensive…but if I were going to splurge I would get a larger sized boat that might have a bathroom on it to be more comfortable for the duration of the cruise. Then, you could cater a bottle of champagne, desserts, etc.

1 Like

What about doing a photography package? I can’t remember where I read about it but you can do a family portrait session with access to spots in front of the castle not typically open to the larger crowds… it may cut in a bit to your touring time so I definitely think the VIP tour is the way to go if she cares more about that. But the pictures could be a nice way to commemorate her 40th, the trip, and the family all in one…

3 Likes

They meet you at baggage claim. It really is a fun way to start the vacation. They help you with the bags to where the Minnie Van is parked (where all the other car services park, one floor down and behind the car rentals - very close). They give you a copy of your trip itinerary, load you into the truck, put on a movie for the kids in the backseat. There are drinks and Ghiardelli squares (DS loads up his bag with these). I would say it saves around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how long you would have waited for Magical Express.

1 Like

We paid the extra for seating at the Tomorrowland Terrace and it was totally worth it!

As we checked in we asked for a table near the front. They sat us at a small table (it was just me and DH) right in the front corner. I’m gluten free so they brought me my own little tray of desserts (way more than I could eat), while DH browsed the really nice buffet of treats. We checked in near the start of the check in period, so that gave us a better shot at a front row table and plenty of time to relax and have a leisurely dessert time. There were no huge tables. It looked to me like most parties were seated at their own tables (a group of about 6 behind us and a family of 3 at a table for 5 or 6 next to us). I looked around and it didn’t seem to me that there were any really bad tables for fireworks viewing.

Maybe the best part is that they don’t rush you out! So as the crush of the crowd was heading for the exit, we could take our time and not be in the bedlam. It was an EMH night and we were staying on property, so we just took our time and headed to Buzz for a last ride or two before heading out. A very civilized way to enjoy the magic!

That’s the kind of gift I’d want to celebrate a special occasion. And even though it’s a bit pricey for a regular visit, you’ll be well under the $1K mark and get a truly delightful experience. Good luck and happy birthday to your wife!

3 Likes

Aww. I love the photography idea. ( but I would have my own opinion about what everyone should be wearing!)

We did the Family Magic tour once. It’s really fun - it’s like a scavenger hunt. You get to meet a hard to meet character and ride a ride. It’s pretty fast paced and the kids loved it.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/family-magic-tour/

2 Likes

Another idea - my kids LOVE the Pirates Adventures Cruises and my daughter is so sad that she is too old for it now at 13. It’s kids only, so you could drop them off at Beach / Yacht Club, and go have a romantic breakfast alone at Epcot.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/pirate-adventure-cruises/

1 Like

AK’s Savor the Savanna is really nice. You get a 15% discount with Disney visa:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/animal-kingdom/savanna-evening-safari/

Here’s a good review: Savor the Savanna: Evening Safari Experience - Animal Kingdom REVIEW - AllEars.Net

3 Likes

I saw this, looked interesting, unfortunately my animal crazy 7 year is too young (age limit of 8).

Ah… well then, my vote is one of the Grand Floridian tea parties :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anyone know how much the pool cabana rentals at Contemporary are and if there are at at the Bay Lake Tower pool?

Alright, first off, thank you to everyone who has tossed out ideas, this was as fun as I was hoping! Great ideas and many fun options.

Kicking around 2 main ideas in my mind.

1. Ultimate Thrills VIP Tour
    Love the idea and think it does everything I was looking to accomplish. One big draw back…the price and the lack of surprise. To do it, I’d obviously want to take advantage of the 15% Disney Visa discount, but it is my wife’s debit card. She will at the very least know the expense and i don’t think i can bs myself around that one. The day I would do this would be the day we currently have PPO BOG scheduled. I would replace that with this so that would take $110 off since I was already planning to spend that. Would also have ate in the park that day for lunch and that is included in the tour, so knocks off another $40 in what i was already spending. With a tour guide tip, i’m looking at this being around $1300 more than what we would have spent.

2. A series of smaller ideas throughout the week. Some of the ideas:

• Minnie Van from Airport

• Autograph Birthday card or small poster to have her get signed a framed

• Pool side Cabana for 1/2 day on resort day

• Up close encounter with Rhinos at AK (or Gentle Giants)

• Firework Desert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace (this would be a definite part of this if I go this route.

• Other smaller special items throughout the week

So…looking like I can do several from #2 and be around 1/2 of the VIP tour. This would spread the special surprises throughout the week vs one over the top day…but that one day would be AWESOME.

Any thoughts on the 2 options? Anything to add to the #2 idea?
Not sure there is a wrong answer, but a little nerve racking trying to decide.

1 Like

If you go with #1, you could wrap up something representative when you book it and give to her as an early birthday gift. Just moves the timing of the surprise. Or wrap a series of hints you let her unwrap leading up to her birthday. “Your first hint is a surprise on your Visa”.

For #2, you could wrap a box of envelopes for her to open on her birthday with each surprise on a note in it, writing on each envelope when she’s allowed to open it. (If you add any along the way, you just slip her more envelopes.)

I love surprises! For one of my husband’s birthdays, we had a progressive multiple choice date night. After each activity, he got a new set of choices. “Which of these 3 restaurants for dinner?” Then “A movie, a bar with a band, or billiards?” “Which late night ice cream place?” Etc.

On another, the kids and I took him to 4 novel ice cream places he had never been to, interspersed with a baseball game and meals. (He love ice cream.)

1 Like

My DH has that financial problem, too. I’m always watching the bills, so I see when he buys me something. You could just ask her not to look or just say it’s a surprise. She’ll know it’s from Disney and a surprise, but she won’t know what it is.

2 Likes

This is a tough choice! Not sure how long you want to wait to make the final decision. I just called last week to book the VIP tour and I just booked the dessert party and we are going in April (during Easter so fairly crowded). I can give feedback about the tour after that.

The nice part about small splurges is that it’s not all done in one day-so I’m leaning towards that. The minnie van, 1/2 day cabana and dessert party are all things my family (and I) would love and appreciate. I’m not sure about the rhinos or caring for giants. From what I’ve read, there is not enough up close and personal interactions with the animals for my family to love it. I would put that $$ towards a nice dinner…maybe at Sanaa…if I remember correctly that might overlook the Savannah? I know others here can tell you more about that.

1 Like