I think it's time to give Universal another shot. What should I know?

My mom has a ton of food allergies including celiacs, casein (milk) and almonds among others like cantaloupe. She says Disney is the best but they can accommodate her in Universal too.

I don’t know why I remember this but the chicken sandwich is the only thing she can eat at Leaky Cauldron with a gluten free bun of course.

3 Likes

Reading all this got me so excited that I looked at Cyber Monday Sales for flights, hotel and APs… Using credit card points and such I can get my DW & I booked for 4 days / nights with all expenses (except food) for $1000…

Now, I’ve got to can convince her that it’s really safe to go. We’ve had our shots & planning on boosters this week (waited until after Thanksgiving).I really don’t know how much else we can do to be any safer and I’m ready to get back out.

Plus… we were both just discussing about how we don’t really want anything for Christmas and were considering a new appliance or large “family” item. I just might have to see if she’ll go for that angle… :joy:

7 Likes

Good luck. I’ve been doing a little research myself. I picked 7 dates throughout 2022 based on long weekend trips I like to take and all of the dates I chose were not blocked out if I were to get the basic seasonal pass. Thinking I might have an answer this year when my family asks “what do you want for Christmas Dad?”

4 Likes

@bebe80 look at all the links you gave HERE!

Gasp

1 Like

Yep, made it easy for me to link that post to your thread and not have to copy and paste everything!

I’m hoping to go next in January 2023 with the school band.

1 Like

It did work out!

1 Like

Looks like I’m going next week. 4 nights. Solo, More of a Research trip. Staying 1 night in each of the categories. Alot of moving, I know. However, I really wanted to experience each of the offerings for future considerations with family. Purchased rooms via the AP rate and got some pretty amazing deals (at least I think so).

Value @ $74pn, Prime Value @ $94pn, Preferred @ $114pn, & Premier @ $204pn. Total cost for all 4 rooms was under $500 before taxes. I’ll be staying at Dockside Endless Summer, Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls, and Royal Pacific. I booked the Premier room in the middle to take advantage of the express pass for 2 full days (check in and check out)

I’ve decided on the basic 2 park seasonal pass for $349. The block out dates don’t affect me at all really. I generally don’t travel in July, early August or around spring break or Christmas week. Depending on the weather when I get there I may add the 3rd park for another $100 when I arrive.

I’ll Uber/Lyft to and from airport and I have an after 5pm Disney ticket that expires 12/31/21 so I’ll most likely pick a day to Uber/Lyft to and from there. Haven’t decided which day or which park I’ll use it on. Leaning towards HS but might go with MK for the fireworks. I’ll have to research which APRs are available. Other than that my only concerns @ US is dining. Not sure where to go, what to book, or when I should of done so. I may just keep it inexpensive and do QS. Any recommendations??

9 Likes

What great rates! I am not a big QS eater but Finnegan’s isn’t very reasonably priced for TS.

3 Likes

Ooh just checked the menu @ Finnegan’s and I like just about everything. Thanks for the recommendation. Im sure you meant “is” reasonably priced. Now to find out how to make a ressie

2 Likes

Yes, that should be “is”

1 Like
1 Like

Dining page

2 Likes

This is great. Thank you.

2 Likes

Toothsome is one place worth booking ahead. It’s in between both park entrances and very handy. If nothing else, go for the decor and dessert! Antojitos and Cowfish are also a couple of the best restaurants in CityWalk.

Mythos in IOA is another one of the better in-park TS places.

If wondering, the better QS places in the parks are Today Cafe, Fast Food Boulevard (Simpsons), Thunder Falls Terrace, and of course the 2 WWOHP Restaurants.

3 Likes

I agree w. everything you listed except Fast Food Blvd… It’s pretty gross and cheap food, even for a theme park. My family and I have gotten something at every stand and it’s awful.

If you want good food in Springfield, go to Bumblebee Man’s Taco Truck and then grab a Lard Lad doughnut! (Duff Beer is amazing too! I wish I could buy it home)

I 100% agree with your review of Fast Food Blvd. the chicken waffle sandwich was so soggy there was no waffle in the middle. The burger was disgusting. There is always a huge line for the bumblebee man tacos though so I’ve never got to eat them cuz I refuse to wait that long but it must be good with that line.

I find the donut just okay. Voodoo is better to me but DD disagrees.

1 Like

I don’t like a bunch of stuff on my doughnuts like cereal and candy which is Voodoo’s specialty. The Big Pink at Lard Lad isn’t the best in the world, but pretty good. Plus, it’s fun to eat a giant doughnut!

No photo description available.

Also, I’m spoiled by having one of Food Network’s best doughnut shops in my home town! (Gibson Donuts)

1 Like

See I get the strawberry donut at Voodoos. I agree about fruit loops. The strawberry one is so good. Not like that fake strawberry stuff but tastes real.

I’m also pretty sure I’ve yet to taste the best donut in the world. Where is Gibsons so if I’m ever there I can try it?

Gibson’s - 760 Mount Moriah Rd. Memphis, TN 38117· (901) 682-8200 (open 24 hours a day)

Started business in 1976 and is a Memphis tradition!

1 Like