I finally found a way to get @mousematt to quit whining

You don’t need a card. You do need to have an online account with all of your stuff entered, including passport info and such.

AND you should log your Global Entry number into your airline’s “Trusted Traveler” notation on your reservation so Global Entry can connect you to your account and all of that to your flight information

ETA: have you gone in and activated all of your account stuff in person? You need to give your fingerprints, and I think maybe now also a photo – that’s a security feature when you use the kiosk

3 Likes

Check. (As in, I literally just checked it.)

Done. Good call.

Last time I flew into MCO I had my GE interview and they did the biometric stuff then. So I think I’m good to go.

When I departed MCO a week later, my GE number was added to my ticket and it got me through TSA Pre Check.

6 Likes

I’ve made a decision.

I typically obsess about baggage and this has helped me figure out my plan. To avoid delay in picking up hold baggage from the carousel, I’m going to only take my carry-on suitcase (which I’ve actually used for most of my trips) but also a backpack for extra storage and for my on-board items like iPad and so on. I’ve never taken a backpack before, but it occurs to me that it’s so much easier to carry than a suitcase and a second bag.

(My original plan was to take my brand new — as of January 2020 — never-used suitcase and then a small bag for the cabin. Easier when moving about the airport, but more risky delay-wise.)

9 Likes

Two hours for making a connecting flight from International to Domestic is a bit tight.

I’m an Atlanta resident and have gone through been through immigration many times coming back from Europe.

It can take a long time but if you have Global Entry, it will speed things up greatly. I personally don’t have it but I’ve traveled with my boss, who does and he always got through much quicker than I did.

If you only have carry-on luggage that also will speed things up greatly, because waiting for International checked luggage at ATL can be a slow process. Plus you have to re-check it after clearing customs to your final domestic destination.

Atlanta is a huge airport and it can take a very long time to get from the International Terminal to your domestic gate.

Will your connecting flight from ATL to MCO be on Delta? If so, there are typically flights between the two cities almost hourly.

7 Likes

Yes, Delta. I’m assuming / hoping that if I miss my flight, they’ll just put me on the next one.

My stopover is 2h15m.

4 Likes

Well, maybe @sanstitre_has_left_the_building won’t stop whining completely.

The EU is only letting in fully vaccinated travellers. I’m fully vaccinated. No problem. DLP here I come.

Not so fast. One of my two jabs was made in India. The EU isn’t accepting those. So I don’t count as fully vaccinated and — indeed — never can be. I can’t go and get a third jab to make up for my unacceptable one.

This was trailed some weeks ago. Our lying prime minister who lies said he didn’t think it would be a problem.

Well it is. These people were turned away at the airport for having the “wrong” jab. They were not the only ones.

So not only do I need Biden to reopen the US (it’s been over 15 months, dude — are you ever going to reopen? what are you waiting for?) I need the US to recognise my vaccination status. Of course the US doesn’t use AZ at all, let alone Indian AZ.

3 Likes

While you are in FL you could get an additional vaccine dose and then you would have 2 that the EU accepts and your DLP trip could be back on…does this count as Disney math or just enabling?

6 Likes

Oh no!! Yikes.

By Oct hopefully we’ll be in the booster stage…so maybe @Sandyh isn’t too far off.

1 Like

Fingers crossed that you get to come.

3 Likes

Yes, I’d forgotten about that. The plan is the UK is to give boosters to the over 50s (so, me) from September, I think, so I might be good by December for DLP.

4 Likes

This is what the International Travel Pros do :wink:

7 Likes

Minor news update.

I now have two parallel calendars. One for if the October trip happens, and one for if it doesn’t.

If it doesn’t, I will continue with my existing plan of visiting DLP in December, at their version of Wilderness Lodge. Nice.

If it does, I will cancel that trip, and go to DLP in April, which I’ve just booked for my birthday at the newly refurbished Marvel Hotel. Nice.

My Disney profile currently makes me look like a millionaire. I have three trips booked, of which I’ll take no more than two.

Case numbers are soaring here. Deaths are rising, but very slowly compared with the first and second waves. The Indian vaccine issue still hasn’t been sorted. And the US still hasn’t made any comment about reopening its borders. How exciting to not know if any of these trips will actually happen. Meanwhile, my non-Disney cruise to nowhere sets sail in a month’s time. I won’t know if I can go on that until embarkation day, as I have to take a COVID test before I board. One of my students has a trip coming up and she has literally stopped going to school so that there’s no risk of her catching COVID and missing her trip.

11 Likes

Ha! So there is indeed hope for an October trip possibly including a Boo Bash ticket. Thought I was going crazy.

Stop following the news on Covid. No planning until you have to (ie, right before the deadline to cancel the trip).
Stay safe.

2 Likes

I thought of you last week. A group of vaccinated friends were going on a domestic river cruise. The cruise had to be cancelled the day before they were to embark because the boat got stuck on a sandbar! I don’t know if it’s better or worse that it wasn’t Covid related….

4 Likes

Why are you so keen for me to go to Boo Bash, lol.

I’m actually grateful to Disney for making the pricing so ridiculous. If it had been $99 I might have gone for it. But $179 is just silly. And this October trip is slightly naughty because I don’t have a budget for it. I’m trying to do it on the cheap.

Also, the Boo Bash tickets have to be paid for in advance, and are non-transferable and non-refundable. If I can’t come in October, I’m out $179 with nothing to show for it.

4 Likes

Yeah it seems ridiculous b/c the Disneyland ones starts at $114 and they come with a full on party with special late night water show (like Fantasmic a bit) and special parade. Why would someone pay $179 for less than that?

3 Likes

I did think about that. Somehow forget I’ve even booked the trip until much nearer the time.

But then I do so love planning trips …

(I love actually going on them even more.)

3 Likes

Just teasing you!
I feel the same way about these overpriced events, and have no desire to attend one.

3 Likes

New plan.

The situation in the UK is spiralling out of control. Monday has been dubbed “Freedom Day” because pretty much all restrictions are being lifted. Not everyone is positive about this:

COVID infections are nearly at the rate they were back in January, when the four month lockdown began.

The lifting of restrictions on Monday has been described by our lying prime minister as “irreversible”. Here’s what tomorrow’s papers have to say about that:

So I don’t even know if my cruise will happen.

Which means it’s all about striking while the iron is hot. Calvin and I are going away for the weekend to the hotel we traditionally go to at Christmas. We’re staying in this room:

Yes, there are two baths. And, yes, they are pointed at the TV.

All that plus yummy food and nice walks. Though the temperatures are predicted to be horrifyingly high.

17 Likes