Hypocritical rant

I’ve never met anyone who wouldn’t say THE hospital. The sentence makes no sense without it. We can speak English you know. Almost like natives…

2 Likes

I hate to be unsupportive, but I’m fairly sure everyone I know would say that.

I think I would say both…

2 Likes

That’s because you’re from Yorkshire.

3 Likes

T’hospital then! :joy:

1 Like

Yes! Although, if someone had an accident I would say “she was taken to hospital”. I’d never say “I’m going to hospital” though. The first is a generic hospital, the second is a specific one - the one I’m going to.

3 Likes

Why is “taken to hospital” or “go to hospital” any weirder than “go to school” or “taken to school” as opposed to “taken to THE school”, which is a common phrase in North America.

Ahh… filet…

1 Like

I think that’s because pronouncing it in the French way seems pretentious. (American language often does seem pretentious to me. Why say “transportation” when you can simply say “transport”? Or “accommodations” when you mean “rooms”.)

Actually, there’s probably some historical reason for it. French was at some point the language of the Court and some business is still conducted in French. For example, in the House of Lords the consent of the Queen to a Bill is indicated by a clerk saying “La Reyne le veult” (it’s Norman French, if you’re wondering about the spelling). But it’s pronounced as if it were English.

1 Like

Never said was weird…just British.

And Canadian, actually. Although it is different from the school example.

I didn’t mean “weird”, but “weird to a foreign ear”, as in unusual. :slight_smile:

oh to heck with it

Insert patronizing “There there” and pat yourself on the head whilst doing so!

Look at me. Using “whilst” and “erm” in the same day! I’m becoming British by being in your midst!

3 Likes

If you want I could have a word with the queen and make it official. Since we all know her personally over here (I honestly thought that the American who thought that was a overblown stereotype. And then I met one in New York :joy:)

3 Likes