Hypocritical rant

Which maths are your primary disciplines of instruction?

Arithmatic, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, or??

Yet you’re the people who say “this event happened Thursday” rather than “ON Thursday”. What a curious peoples you are.

3 Likes

All of the above. And Statistics. And Physics. I’ve even been known to teach Law.

1 Like

We say both, depending on meaning. “happened Thursday” implies it happened ON the most recent (or very recent) Thursday. “ON Thursday” would simply imply you are emphasizing a day of the week.

But the nuances of that might be lost on someone who focuses on maths. :wink:

1 Like

Huh. I would not have expected Law to be included in the category of Maths.

The more you know (ding!)

You also misuse “value” as a noun, as in “a ten dollar value”. It’s ghastly.

But — once again, Eddie Izzard says it more clearly than do I:

4 Likes

Hmm. I can honestly say I’ve not heard it used that way.

Sorry. My mistake. I meant “savings”. A ten dollar savings.

shudders

2 Likes

Ah, yes. We do say that. It is an odd word usage, but never really questioned it. A “savings” is an amount saved. We also would use it to refer to the money we keep in the bank. “I have $10,000 in savings, and $100 in checking.”

I’m curious what you say instead.

In the context of price, we put it in the singular: a ten pound saving. Oddly, in the context of banking, we do put it in the plural: I have ten pounds in savings.

Of course, we correctly spell “check” as “cheque”, but we call such accounts “current accounts”.

2 Likes

Looks suspiciously French that way! (Which actually makes sense if you’re from Canada.)

As a writer, discussions about linguistic differences fascinate me.

And, to a certain extent… can’t those capacity cuts can be informed by FPP demand for any given day in any given park.

If so, then the financial advantage to Disney is not in the encouragement of more people to stay on property, but in the ability to control wage expenditures I would think …

Oddly enough, many British English pronunciations skew away from the French unlike their American English counterparts. For example a filet is a “fill it” in the UK and a “fill lay” in the US. I chalk it up to hatred of anyone across the Channel on general principle, except when you want to go over there for cheap booze…

3 Likes

And my absolute favourite … (drum roll starts)

“I could care less”.

Which literally means it is possible for me to care less about this thing.

As opposed to us who say “I couldn’t care less”, as in there is nothing less interesting to me than this thing.

3 Likes

Oh, don’t even get me started on that one. I HATE it when people say that. Argh.

My latest gripe is with the frequent misuse of “less” versus “fewer”. However, the tide seems to be turning on that one…and not in my favor. Multiple sources now accept “less” as a valid synonym for fewer (but not the other way around) simply because of how frequently it is misused.

1 Like

People who say ‘So I brought her to the restaurant’. No, you took her to the restaurant. That one annoys me more than it should

2 Likes

Wait times vs less capacity becomes an interesting discussion. Generally speaking, the more people that are in lines are fewer (see what I did there) people in the restaurants and shops, so there is a financial benefit to keep lines short. You also have fewer pissed off people, and happy people spend more money. Conversely, scaling back on capacity saves man hours on operations and maintenance costs. I’m sure there’s a small army of financial annalists who run these numbers constantly to figure out which will result in the best profit margin.

One of the other “selling points” of the Disney FPP model is that it FREE, creating a very egalitarian system in the eyes of the masses. Let’s say Disney used the Universal model and charged $60/day for this feature; that would add $240/day for a family of four who is already budget conscious - times 5 or 7 or 10 days (compared to Uni where the average stay is 2-3 days). And the fact is, there are enough very rich people who go to WDW who would be willing to spend this - or even a lot more for this benefit.

3 Likes

Worse:

“Me and K went to the restaurant” instead of “K and I went to the restaurant”

I mean really, did the Sesame Street generation actually think Cookie Monster was teaching proper language when he said “Me want cookie!” ???

3 Likes

Ultimately it comes to this:

Disney says, “Hey, instead of you getting half a dozen, we’ll give you six! And isn’t six so much better than half?”

We all shake our heads and nod and feel like we’re getting so much more. Six! Way better than half. Yep, yep. And we’re happier, and ultimately spend more as a result.

1 Like

Watching Eddie and it’s the ‘erbs that get me every time! :joy:

2 Likes