Hurricane in November

Is it typical for Florida to have hurricane in November?

Hurricane season runs from May 15 through November 30. Peak season is between August and October.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Is it normal to see hurricanes during November. I have an upcoming trip in November and just want to be prepared because we didnt buy insurance.

I believe 2 hurricanes have hit Florida in November since 1851.

Enjoy your trip.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Unless my memory fails me, I believe Touring Plans states that November is historically the “driest” month of the year in Orlando.

Walt Disney World has closed exactly 5 times since it opened, almost all for Hurricanes. None of those times have been in November. Once in October. The rest in September.

1 Like

This is great to know for our upcoming trip next month :joy:

1 Like

Well, if hurricanes closed WDW in September 2 times out of approximately 17000 days, that means your odds of a closure are at about .029%.

2 Likes

Actually, it is probably more accurate to calculate it as .14% chance, since we would only be counting days in September.

1 Like

Haha, very true. I will take those odds. It was just funny to read “the rest in September” is all. Of course like any good liner I researched extensively before planning and know all about hurricane season.

1 Like

I will still take those odds too. In saying that I am practically guaranteeing a hurricane now!

1 Like

But in assuming that you saying that you are guaranteeing a hurricane suggests that the weather reacts not only to human action/inaction, but to an INDIVIDUAL human’s THOUGHT process. We’ve just crossed over from the scientific-based statistics into superstition. So, in order to better stick to science, we need to find out in those two instances of September Hurricanes, how many people AHEAD OF TIME assumed that they would be safe from Hurricanes and then ASSUMES that being assuming that, ended up causing the Hurricanes. With those numbers, we can calculate what the chances are that the fact that YOU are betting on the odds will ultimately result in your personal loss.

1 Like

That’s a lot of words to consider. I’m not a betting person in the least so I will take those odds, but not bet them! I was saying the guarantee of a hurricane as a joke. Perhaps it was not relayed as such. Rain or shine we will have a good time!

1 Like

Oh. I’m just taking your joke, and raising you an additional laugh…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It can happen, but it isn’t typical at all.

1 Like

Ahhh! I gotcha! Well you raised the ante and I folded. You win! :wink:

1 Like

I was there the week of Irma and left just as the storm was rolling into town. As we were driving out of town, most of the billboards along the interstate had already been blown down. In many many ways it was very stressful and I would never ever ever wish for a storm or advocate for visiting when a storm is clearly predicted… That being said, that week before Irma, especially the day before Irma, was the most deserted I have ever and probably ever will see Disney. My DD(4 at that time) and I rode FOP twice without FPP and waited 30 minutes each time. EE the stand by line was closed and they were only using the FPP line which had no wait. We did KS with no FPP and no wait. It was really cool. But it was also scary sitting at a bus stop waiting for a Disney bus and being the only ones there, and seeing CM’s pull up in a pickup truck and take all of the benches except the one you are sitting on. And seeing them putting out sandbags all over the Grand Floridian. It was a very unique experience for sure.

3 Likes

Was also there for Irma. The day before was the best day I have ever had in the parks. Rode it out in AKL which was a great place to be. The day after the storm was also pretty deserted however it was heart breaking to see all the downed trees. The cast members were great and they got everything up and running in no time.