How “Touring Plans” are you?

I would get a £12k raise if I got a promotion and would still be well under this amount. I don’t know a single person who makes this and our friends all have degrees and have professional jobs.

2 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t consider Michigan to be East Coast!

4 Likes

Now that I’m home from walking the dog …

The income data collected by Touring Plans is, in fact, categorical data, as you are given a number of income bands and asked to select one. Strictly speaking, therefore, the only average available to you is the mode, i.e. the group that is selected most often.

That being said, an estimate of the median can be made from such data or, at least, an identification of in which group the median lies.

Given that “at least $150K” must be the highest group, if the median lies within it, it must also be the modal group.

As @JJT masterfully demonstrated, the tail in skewed data can drag the mean some distance from the median. I remember looking at UK data some years ago and the mean household income was £28,000 compared with a median of £18,000.

I see we have moved on to arguing about the definition of East Coast. I expected there might, in today’s modern world, be argument about the meaning of the “woman” category.

Also, do two-year colleges count?

12 Likes

Look man, I’m not a geologist. What do you want from me?

:rofl:

2 Likes

Assuming that I am counted in this number, I can confirm. I have two degrees and a professional job and I am some way below $75,000 in income.

But, as has been earlier observed, teachers are not paid what they are worth.

6 Likes

Much needed clarification.

1 Like

Meh whatever, I’m leaving it. I would consider TN in the Southeast, which has east in it, so close enough

7 Likes

In my field that’s low and I only have a bachelor’s but I work in tech as does hubby and my step-father was at this age. My mother, the teacher is the only one I know who never made that amount as even my dad’s side they made way more than that as doctors, in real estate, law and my mom’s side ditto as pharmacists, banking, etc. I know teacher’s don’t make much, I imagine maybe nursing either? Professions deemed as female professions of course.

*Are you doing the conversion of pound to dollar? Isn’t the pound worth more? It was when I went to England at 16! but that was a very very very long time ago!

2 Likes

This reminds me of the argument in the UK as to where the divide between North and South is. I heard someone on the radio today refer to @missoverexcited’s very own Manchester as being in the North. Those of us in the actual North would dispute this strongly.

4 Likes

Well I don’t know what you earn so you weren’t specifically included, but I would have been shocked if you earned that.

Admittedly I don’t know any doctors. I do know lawyers, tech people, teachers. The pound is worth basically the same as the dollar now. Very slightly more.

1 Like

You’re barely further north than me! My friends in Newcastle say that I live in the South, not even the Midlands. Anyway, Manchester is in the north.

Sort of related to the thread discussion:
I remember reading something in Reader’s Digest back when I was a kid that made me laugh:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Southerners a Yank is someone from the north.
To Northeners, a Yank is an Easterner
To Easterners, a Yank is someone from New England.
To New Englanders, a Yank is someone from Vermont
In Vermont a Yank is someone who still uses an outhouse.

(I’ve seen an alternate version since where the last one is “someone who eats pie for breakfast.”)

17 Likes

I wonder if there’s a difference just due to the country as well. Like my friend who had the same position as me a few years ago moved to Sweden and her salary went down even in the same role with the same company. She does get substantially better benefits and time off, but does make less for sure

4 Likes

WOW! It was like $1.50 = 1 pound back in the day!

I also wonder about where we live. We all live in big cities, Austin, Dallas, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York City, etc. Cost of living is higher here.

2 Likes

Nursing income range varies tremendously from geographical location to practice setting. Floor makes way more than office, for example. Some will never see that $75K and some make double that without batting an eye. I could double my income by going to work in Boston, for example, just 60 miles to the south of my home. If I moved from out patient to inpatient - blam! - I’m living the high life. But that comes at a price the biggest of which is the costs related to commuting (not the least of which is the 3hrs round trip each day it would cost!)

11 Likes

Um, Hadrian’s Wall :laughing::+1:t2:

:face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

I’ve never ever heard a Southerner say Yank. Only Yankee :rofl:. Yank to me is a UK term

4 Likes

It was $2 to the pound on our first trip. It’s so expensive for us to visit now! I live in a big city, but as @sanstitre_has_left_the_building kindly pointed out it’s in the north, so we get paid less.

1 Like

I would absolutely agree if @sanstitre_has_left_the_building had said England, but he said UK :laughing:

5 Likes