How to push through the money bleed?! šŸ¤£

In my experience, overwhelmingly, old people lead awful lives. I want to be dead well before 94.

Luckily, I will be. My dad died at 70 and Iā€™m overweight.

I have zero interest in getting old just for the sake of it.

2 Likes

Without taking a look at finances, I would argue living modestly now and being healthy has more to do with her current living situation than ā€œliving modestly for years.ā€ You get sick and it doesnā€™t really matter how well you saved your entire lifeā€¦ unless your saving yielded you to be a millionaire. Nursing Homes and/or assisted care will burn through your reserves extremely quickly (but once they do, the government picks up the tab).

Kids are a gamble though. You canā€™t rely that theyā€™ll be there. What if you become estranged? What if they are they end up being less-than-productive citizens?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why you have manyā€¦hedge your bets!

6 Likes

But if you have too many then your Disney trip just got that much more expensive!

6 Likes

Itā€™s a balance for sure.

1 Like

Exactly. I have five. At least ONE of them has to turn out responsible! :wink:

In their case, they lived modestly their whole lives. They were farmers. (Which also meant they lived healthily as well!)

Thatā€™s sad. It hasnā€™t been my experience. My parents (mom, 80, dad, 85) are going pretty strong still (some health issues, but nothing debilitating or anything) for example.

Oh, so true. :persevere:

I think we all make choices. I was 47 years old before I ever took a week long vacation. I have spent my life saving money. For what? As my son tells me I have ā€œabout another good 10 years or soā€ (yup- he can still walk). You know what- he may be right. I still work 70 hour days but I am going to go to Disney when I want. I do not have any debt. When I retire I will have a great pension (yup- they still exist) I am spending some of my sonā€™s inheritance. Ha- he most likely will use some of it for Disney anyways.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how I am! We save in cash, we live well within our means, etc. Itā€™s just SO MUCH. And compared to what others are posting, we arenā€™t even spending a lot :rofl::rofl: Usually we do the national parks or other outdoor focused type trips where the hotel/Airbnb is the most expensive part! We do lots of free hiking, biking, sightseeing thatā€™s free! Disney is way different for us! We talk about heading back to do Universal but will decide once we know how we liked Disney! Our next trip is likely Yellowstone, so universal will be a few years at least!

2 Likes

Umā€¦ :wink:

Well after that comment, reallyā€¦he deserves it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Weā€™re in for about $7K for a five-night trip. I could never afford this every year. One and done unless I start making much more money, and I make a great salary now

3 Likes

LOL, my old man likes to text me pictures of his new RV or his new motorcycle and tell me he had to dip into my inheritance. So I text him back pictures of a nursing homeā€¦

7 Likes

Then your experience is very atypical. Go visit an old folks home and see what quality of life the residents have. Itā€™s mostly bloody awful.

3 Likes

Oooh, thereā€™s a new one? Thanks for this, I didnā€™t realized it had been seven years! I love this series.

2 Likes

I should also say that the Jersey shore - which is notoriously overpriced - is fantastic fun if you plan it right, but I live here. I wouldnā€™t recommend anyone make it a fly-in destination. When you stay near any boardwalk, there is plenty for the kids to do, at any age. Same for adults. While Disney is $7K for five nights, I can get a Jersey Shore trip done, at its overpriced rate because of somewhat low-end hotels, for $3K easy. Weā€™ve gotten Europe done, for six weeks, for about $9K

1 Like

The one my mom went to wasnā€™t too terrible most of the time. But it was still incredibly depressing. It was like being at a Summer Camp you didnā€™t want to be at. The staff tried to make the most of it, and my mom really got along with some of the staff. They would do activities all the time for the residents.

But it obviously wasnā€™t ā€œhomeā€ in any respect and it sure as hell wasnā€™t ā€œDisneyā€

1 Like

Good point on the value resort. From a five-night trip at Wilderness Lodge in June to a value resort would save us $300 X 5 = $1500, taking us down from $7K to $5.5K. We didnā€™t even consider the value resort.

So are the value resorts clean, decently appointed, decent pools, comfortable rooms, decent commute to parks (in comparison to the deluxe resorts)?

1 Like

So, our first trip was at Wilderness Lodge. Loved it, nothing bad to say (well except for the price LOL). Last trip was at AS Movies which is arguably the ā€˜ā€˜worseā€™ā€™ Disney Hotel. Well, we loved it !!! Yeah itā€™s much (MUCH) less spectacular than WL but at the end of the day, we just need good beds to sleep in and a nice pool and a food court and we had all of that. We were 100% satisfied with our choice.

8 Likes

Back to the original questionā€¦I go to Disney every year because it is easy. I am a single, middle aged woman, and am intimidated by new things. Disney makes it easy for me. I donā€™t have to rent a car, worry if my hotel is in a safe neighborhood, or try to figure out where to eat. I take the ME to my hotel, bus to the parks, and there are things to do and restaurants everywhere I turn. Mostly, Disney makes me feel safe. Iā€™m sure the amount of money I spend could pay for a trip overseas, but I donā€™t have the courage to do it. Maybe one day Iā€™ll actually branch out and visit Disneyland instead!

10 Likes

Yes, but mine are far enough along in life that Iā€™m pretty sure at least two of three wonā€™t fall into any of those categories. Besides, they know if they did, the Disney trips might stop. :wink:

I donā€™t mind spending the money on them now, rather than them inheriting it when Iā€™m dead. Thatā€™s not a choice everyone has, though. Iā€™m lucky to have it. I actually did a fairly in-depth financial analysis a couple years back and it advised me to spend more now, if you can believe it.

3 Likes