How to push through the money bleed?! šŸ¤£

Last December and this December I stayed at / am staying at Pop.

The high price arises from flying in premium cabins and paying for endless up-charge events. And adding in UOR.

I have thought about how it might be ā€œfunā€ to do a minimal cost trip.

3 Likes

DH has finally stopped asking, why are we paying for this trip. But, he loves how excited DGD already is about the aspects of the trip that she knows about. It did take him 8 months to stop asking.

1 Like

Ah yes, it does all add up. Iā€™d say flying in the cheap seats isnā€™t too bad :wink: Worth it in my opinion. But I also add UOR and (1) up-charge event.
Though we probably wonā€™t add UOR every tripā€¦ those tickets are freaking expensive!

I wish I could afford to go every year, but we settle on every other. Weā€™re pretty lucky I have a hobby that is able to fund our vacation plans. Starting to put together 2021 plans after our Oct trip this year

Iā€™m going to try upgrading my UOR tickets to an AP this summer. With my current timings that should cover December and next summerā€™s trip (if I do it).

1 Like

What hobby is that? Can you teach me??

This is pretty much how Iā€™m able to return again and again, at the frequency that I do.

Take my last trip: 5 day 4 nightā€¦ total cost: $50 (before airport parking, food, souvenirs and other activities). And I think it was roughly $500 total after it was all said and done, but keep in mind I splurged for After Hour events, the dining plan, and a table service meals every day). I stayed using my DVC Membership (which was bought last year), flight was on points, and my Annual Pass from last year was still active so no new tickets were needed.

And for a more somber view on moneyā€¦ you canā€™t take the money with you when you kick it and plenty of people and organizations will be looking to take it away from you when you get oldā€¦ so spend it now while you can enjoy it.

3 Likes

Wood turning. And sure, always looking for shop help:grinning:

ā€¦is that code for drug dealing? That seems like itā€™s code. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh, lovely! If you lived in Grand Rapids, MI, iā€™d take you up on that.

As much sawdust as I track in the house, my wife would probably prefer that

Kansas City, darn

3 Likes

I myself thought it was code for something sleazier than that!

1 Like

I was 50 this year and for the first time in my life I went to the dentist this week and was told I needed work doing. Specifically a root canal. (I got a second opinion the following day and the second dentist disagreed.)

Also, Iā€™ve been watching 63 Up, which is an amazing series thatā€™s been running for 56 years. Every seven years they visit the same group of people ā€” who they first visited when they were seven ā€” to see how theyā€™re getting on. Theyā€™re now 63. Theyā€™re old. One of them is dead. One has serious cancer.

From all this I take the following lesson: do it now. You might not be able to do it tomorrow.

9 Likes

I am pure of mind and spirit

5 Likes

And handiwork! Those are lovely.

2 Likes

On the other end of the spectrum, if you spend it all too soon, then what happens if you live a ā€œlong and prosperous lifeā€? My wifeā€™s grandmother is 94 years old. Living modestly has allowed her to continue living alone for so long with enough money to live on.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t that what kids are for?
I mean, you know, one of the reasons.

Well, sure. That and mowing the lawn.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not fun, though. Donā€™t do it!!
You have that ā€œfunā€ in quotation marks for a reason.
Iā€™d rather wait, and spend my time on forums planning the next big blow-out.

1 Like

I am like you! We can afford the trip we have planned this year, but it is just when I put the dollar amount on it and think of what else we could do with it, I get upset. Every time something breaks at home, I offer to cancel the trip. Now mind you, we live well within our means, I just really have a hard time justifying the cost.

2 Likes