How to handle G+ stacking for later in the day?

Would someone please walk me through how you handle stacking for later in the day if the G+ return times are earlier than you plan to hop?

For example, if I’m at Epcot and want to start stacking for an evening at HS (as is being discussed in another current thread). I am looking at thrill data for genie+ return times in HS and it shows that if I start booking them around 11am, the return times are mostly still very early afternoon…earlier than I plan to hop. So do you take the too early times and then try to modify them to later?

1 Like

YES!

Always book as soon as you are eligible and modify as needed.

If you are mostly using your LLs later in the day, it is usually a good strategy to book the LL that currently has the latest return time so that you can secure it before it runs out.

6 Likes

Possibly a dumb question, but am I right to assume you’d have to wait awhile after booking before modifying for the return times to be later? Or can you modify immediately and it give you much later times to choose from.

I have experience with Genie+, although I’m sure this post doesn’t sound like it :rofl:, but not since they introduced the modify capability.

3 Likes

You can modify immediately if you see a time that is later. But usually it takes some time for later return times to cycle through, unless it’s early in the morning or at a drop when return times are shifting quickly. It does take some effort to tend to the modification process.

However, it’s also worth noting that you can will usually be admitted with green taps if you arrive up to 119 minutes after the end of your return window for regular LL. So you shouldn’t need to stress too much about having the exact return window you want.

6 Likes

Thanks so much! That’s what I needed to know. Despite the learning curve, I am thankful for the modifying option instead of having to cancel and rebook.

3 Likes

Modifying is a game changer.

The return times can vary a lot. I always grab what I can to start the clock and then take a look right away to see if I can get a better time.

5 Likes

The rate at which the return times move later in the day varies from ride to ride.

So you might want to check again maybe 15 &30 minutes later. I usually modified if the time had moved by an hour or more. There was only once where I missed the sweet spot of when I wanted to get to.

Also I set an alarm for 10 minutes before my next booking time. That gave me time to log onto the app and check out return times for 2 or 3 rides, so I was ready to go.

3 Likes

Around when did it change to be able to modify any LL not just your latest one? I think I totally missed that my last trip.

1 Like

I think it was as always possible.

It certainly was at Christmas 2022.

2 Likes

When G+ first came out there was no modifying, it restarted your timer. That was in the early days of being able to book two LL at rides with double taps.

I remeber by Christmas 2022 being able to modify, but half of the time MDE would not function correctly and the ability to modify would just disappear (Android user).

3 Likes

I have an iPhone and it worked OK then. I just assumed that once you could modify then it worked for any return times. I don’t recall seeing anything that suggested otherwise. But I do remember some frustration from Android users in general.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I seem to remember (perhaps mistakenly) that when Genie+ first started allowing for modification, it was only the most recently booked LL that could be modified and then at some point they allowed for any LL to be modified. I’m just wondering around when was the “some point” but again maybe I was misunderstanding it.

1 Like

I think you are right that they introduced the modify feature over time and made it more user friendly in steps, but I don’t remember the exact timing of that. One way to look back is to look at the edits to my Genie+ thread and see when I edited the modify rules! I think if you click the orange pencil on the post, it will tell you the date of each edit.

2 Likes

I just googled it and found the modify feature was announced on 12/6/22 and implemented about a week later. Before that you really couldn’t modify at all other than cancelling and rebooking your latest booked LL, IIRC (which would reset your 2-hour clock).

https://x.com/scottgustin/status/1600188122041438208?s=46&t=o5hb2IhktPeuVj4nnnvyVA

2 Likes

So that means it must have allowed any LL to be modified right from the start, as I was certainly doing that and we arrived on the 22nd December.

2 Likes

I’m vaguely remembering the Joel had made it so BG1 could modify before MDE could … or maybe it was that BG1 could modify to another park, whereas MDE could not. :thinking:

1 Like

I ran out of time to learn how use BG1 so never used it. :sunglasses:

2 Likes