How to best handle being asked to change paid-for flight seats?

Also, 1) I know this is a typo, but lol. Like daaaaaang how young was your mamma??

1. this wouldn’t be my fear, cause it’s still a public setting; but rather traveling with a family member and not being able to talk or experience the flight with them is just… super sad. Especially kids, when everything is a wonderous new adventure
6 Likes

edited… HA!

4 Likes

They can charge you $40 for a stupid luggage bag though. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I agree with not wanting my child separated. Just because it’s a public setting doesn’t mean there aren’t things they could be exposed to, like what people watch on their devices… I don’t like flying and I would much rather drive. But… I’m going to have to take my 10yo on a plane this year. Just me and him and I am petrified of getting separated. He has ASD and pretty high anxiety, and he would not be able to process sitting by a stranger. Actually, he would probably narrate non stop about what the person sitting next to him was doing, so I might feel more sorry for them.:grimacing:

6 Likes

They already could. If you are traveling with children you should not be allowed to book the “seats assigned at check-in” rates.

3 Likes

I hear you. I don’t agree with this practice by the airlines. Its penalizing people with children and making them pay more for the same type of airplane seat. “seat choice”. Ridiculous.

5 Likes

It’s taking an aspect of the ticket you already purchased and monetizing it further just because they can. Actually it’s extortion - pay us extra or you may not be able to sit with your partner, friend….or children. Kind of like, I don’t know, charging people who already paid admission extra to ensure they can ride a headliner at a theme park! Seriously, if the FAA can require airlines to allow strollers and car seats to travel at no extra charge (I’m assuming that is the case or they wouldn’t all do that) can’t there be a rule to seat children and parents together?

7 Likes

We’re being Chapeked at every turn!!

4 Likes

My bonus kid now 22 has been flying on his own from Philly to Vegas and back on his own since he was 10 iirc. They had the entire he got seated first as an unaccompanied minor (we were flat broke at the time and could barely afford just flying him). He was great throughout the entire thing and to this day will hop on a plane at a moments notice to explore the world. Not all kids “need” to be by their parents.

It is funny to think of both sides of it. Every person in those seats has a story. Kind or greedy/selfish. Talkative or the type who feigns sleep. Anxiety ridden or fearless.

I adore humans. From a safe distance away. Behind my locked doors.

ETA: not them behind my locked doors. Me. Me behind my locked doors.

10 Likes

Honestly? You choose to have children, you’re choosing to have things more expensive. Sorry, but it’s true. (Similarly as someone who travels solo, I often have to pay double. Cruises in particular. It’s my choice, so I accept that

If they don’t require parents with children to book the pre-selected seats, they should at least have a disclaimer that when booking that fare you understand that your party may not be seated together and that you will accept the seats given. That way you have the option, but you are accepting that for a lower fare. BUT if you choose that, you should not be able to bully people into giving up their seat.

2 Likes

Not even close.

The aircraft captain is the final arbiter of who may or may not fly at a given aircraft. If he or she decides you will risk or impair flight safety, you will be removed. The only exception is you cannot be removed for reasons protected in equality of access to accomodations, i.e. race, ethnicity, or disability.

1 Like

Wow. There is so much aggressive tone in this I’m not even going to respond to it. .

Hold on. Fuck that shit. She didn’t give the whole story about a kid being separated from their parents to the guy she approached first, but gave you the whole guilt trip? Oh hell no.

ETA and also, you don’t need to give any reasons why you’re saying no to their request. No is actually a complete sentence.

11 Likes

It’s happened. It’s a legit fear for women and moms of young kids.

8 Likes

Not being aggressive. Just realistic. Like I said, I recognize that traveling as a solo in many cases is more expensive. It’s a choice I make. We have to own that our choices do have consequences.

1 Like

I’m a mom, and I have to agree. When you choose to have kids, you have to accept the responsibilities and liabilities. There are times you will not be able to do things the way you want to. There will be times when it will cost you more. You make the choices, you accept the consequences. shrug
I don’t see that as aggressive, its just truth. I think people get their hackles up automatically when a person without kids makes any kind of statement about parenting.

9 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to tell you that you can call the airlines and tell them you have a medical reason that you need the tickets to be seated together, and to not break them up. When I travel with my son (also ASD) I always choose and pay for specific seats on the bulkhead so that his behaviors (like rocking, arm waving, etc) don’t bother others. Its always my fear that he would touch the person in front of us and then there would be an incident. I call the airlines and explain that he needs to be in a bulkhead seat for medical reasons, and that he can’t be separated from us. They can lock those seats so that they can’t be reassigned.

12 Likes

well…it’s not ALWAYS a choice that I’m traveling solo. In fact…it’s always some else’s choice :rofl:

But yeah, the “traveling solo, so your stuff is more expensive” thing is so frustrating. I lost out on a Disneyland trip because I couldn’t swing the solo-price. :cry:

Meanwhile, Disney World is like dirt cheap if you go solo(ok, for people who don’t like sweeping generalities, maybe not dirt cheap, but way cheaper than bringing a family) . If i was closer to Disneyland, it probably would be too?

5 Likes

True - I guess if work requires you to travel you’re stuck. I should have specified pleasure travel. :slight_smile:

I’m able to swing Disneyland - off property but still. But things like ABD? Completely ridiculously pricey as a solo.

2 Likes

Bingo. I was so hyped for all that extra stuff and then they’re giving me like 1.75 the cost of what it was cause I couldn’t sucker-er-trick-er-persuade anyone I know to go and spend the obscene amount of cash so I could obsess over Disney stuff for a week.

People are so selfish! :rofl:

4 Likes